Convert Windows 8 to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trussman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

Not sure if this has been asked before. I've searched the site here and couldn't find it, so I figured it's time to ask.

Dad bought a new computer with Windows 8, he's had it for a month and wants Windows 7, the guy at the store told him it would void the warrenty if it was reformatted and Windows 7 install, but told him it could be set up to run like Windows 7, and they could do it for a $100. I haven't dealt with Windows 8 to know anything about it.

Does anyone know if it can be done and if so the procedures to do it. Since he lives 300 miles away, I'll have to walk him through it over the phone.

Thanks

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

As far as I know the rollback option had to be built in. If they want to bill for it something is fishy.

That's what I know, anyone else have any input?

3. C0rhHusk3r

C0rhHusk3r Private First Class

There is something called the Classic Shell that makes Win 8 look like 7.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You can purchase a windows 7 copy and install it, but the above situation also seems fishy.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Doesn't sound right to me either. Doesn't say if it will be Win 7.

Classic Shell is free and Start8 is free for 30 days or one can purchase it for $4.99. There are at least 6-8 free software like these 2. (All to be found here at MG) under *Appearance* http://majorgeeks.com/downloads23.html

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  6. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have a look at:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...warranty/1cf4950f-f236-41fc-827b-44fa5461092b

Keep in mind that you have certain rights and responsibilities with Microsoft and others covering the hardware with the machine builder.

It is best to ask the manufacturer questions and read the warranty document to see exactly what the conditions for breaking said warranty are. As far as Microsoft goes, merely adding third party software doesn't break the warranty. Re-engineering the software almost certainly does.

A discussion of Ubuntu users on the subject is here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/3262...ll-laptop-sold-with-windows-void-the-warranty

I would NOT rely on anecdotal information like the last link, but provide it to show what some people say is their experience. I would email the manufacturer with specific questions I had on hardware warranty and keep in mind that some hardware vendors may not honor warranties on machines with a second OS installed on them, or have a tool like Partition Magic used on them.

That said, installing Classic Shell is not likely to be a warranty buster.

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Okay... key words: They said they could set it up to RUN LIKE Windows 7. That's what Classic Shell, Start 8, etc. do... put the start button back and stuff.

Why they would charge $100 for that is beyond me... personally, as I do computer repair part time, if I was doing ANYTHING else to the computer, I'd install one of the freewares (Classic Shell, for instance) and configure it for free... or if that was the only thing the customer wanted, I would charge maybe $10, if they insisted on me doing it (I'd also definitely tell THEM how to do it, if they wanted to).

While buying a retail copy of Windows 7 and installing it IS an option, I'd recommend against it... staying stuck "back in time" will only make it harder to adjust to Windows 9, 10, etc. I think the start menu adding software is a good compromise.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Keep in mind you doing part time repair doesn't really equal charge with someone who has a store front to pay for monthly and employees, in my area in kansas we usually see 60-80 dollars for charging.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Well, I think we're derailing the thread topic here... but, I really disagree with most computer repair "pricing". Installing a start button program for Windows 8 wouldn't take but 10 minutes, if that... I'd hardly think that's worth $60-80. Store front/employee situation or not, I don't see how it would be worth it for a customer to pay the outrageous prices most places "offer" for simple services. Trust me, I looked into the pricing charts for computer repair, and I simply don't see any way to justify it.

10. K@ABC

K@ABC Private E-2

The price isn't outrageous when you consider what you're asking to be done. Replace the pre-installed Win 8 with a licensed version of Win 7. The OUTRAGE that offends my sensibility is that this vendor didn't offer the simpler solutions like those suggested in other post. I'm sure they are aware of Classic Shell, etc. and how well they work. They should have said - try this before doing something drastic. If I were your dad I wouldn't be giving this vendor many referrals.

11. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

No. Putting Windows 7 on the machine was NOT the $100 service mentioned by the OP. Literacy has value here... please use it.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Be nice or be quiet. :)

A simple correction is all that is needed.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A lot of people who know how to do certain tasks don't see the value in it.

A mechanic doesn't see the value in a 700 dollar job to replace shocks and struts, because he can do it himself.

It is similar with other fields.

However, stuff like that sadly is supported by the market and businesses are meant to make a profit, not provide charity. A business has overhead and then on top of that, they want to make a profit. You don't profit by charging cost and it will actually cost you money if you did do that for overhead reasons alone.

14. K@ABC

K@ABC Private E-2

My apologies to Adrynalyne and others, I did miss read. As a retired business owner I would have performed such a task as a courtesy. Courtesy is the best business builder you can have. More importantly I hope this thread helps Trussman and his dad make an informed decision as to their alternatives, (that vendor, another vendor or do it themselves). Here a link where you can read an compare different Win8 start menu replacements - http://www.howtogeek.com/127699/6-start-menu-replacements-for-windows-8/ Most of the software is downloadable right here at Major Geeks.

15. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yeah, yeah... sorry, getting kind of frustrated with people that don't bother actually reading things before replying.

No... I definitely see the value in services. However, I still firmly believe that the computer repair industry in general charges entirely too much. I could see a storefront charging maybe $30 for a simple service like installing a very small program like Classic Shell... but not $80. I never said MY pricing should reflect storefronts directly.

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

They aren't just charging for the program though. They are charging the customer a flat fee per hour (which is pretty high usually), the cost of the program, administration fees to log the work and put it into their system, tax, and then a percentage markup.

Suddenly, cost goes way up. I know you don't support it, but it is a typical business model.

Considering I've charged up to 35 dollars an hour for tech support, with a one hour minimum, it isn't a stretch. Add in the program cost, tax, and a small markup, cost of fuel, and I am already in the 60 dollar range. That is me, with no additional employees, and no business overhead other than gas burnt.

17. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Agree. When I started doing "side work" for consumers in '05 all the folks in my shop said to charge $35/hour for the first hour and $25 per after that. Never really had anyone balk about it...

18. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Adrynalyne, you're really making a mountain out of a mow hill. We're talking about installing Classic Shell on a Windows 8 computer.

Program cost is irrelevant in this situation, as the program is free. Tax is negligible. I'm not sure what you're "marking up", as the program is... FREE.

What fuel are you talking about? No one mentioned a service call in this entire scenario. Obviously, if you had to go TO the customer, that would be a completely different scenario.

Regardless of taxes, overhead, and everything else you can muster up, charging $100 to simply install a very small freeware program is ridiculous, plain and simple. We may as well be talking about installing 7-zip on a machine (and the machine is brought to you, no car/fuel required). Anyone that wants that much money for a service like that is ripping off customers.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Apparently, you don't understand my example of what overhead is, and what markup is. I was trying to provide an example to you as to why companies charge so much for computer services.

That also explains why you don't understand the costs involved. Businesses always charge tax, and always mark things up in addition to adding overhead of checking in a machine, manhours, etc.

Anyway, I was using an example, not the actual situation. How do you know it is classic shell vs. start8? The poster didn't specify, and I doubt the company did.

If you take your computer to Best Buy and ask them to do something like install Start8 for you....expect a similar bill.

20. oma

oma MajorGeek

Over the last 10 years or so I needed 2 or 3 times an IT Tech by remote over the phone. They charge around $40.00 per call whether they can solve a problem or not. Don't know how much they charge for virus removal though. Charge is about $90.00 per hour (minimum) to come to your home. Tax on top of these above charges.

Taking the overhead into account, it's really not that expensive. It would be expensive if it were just to install a free or paid software which one can be done easily by yourself.

21. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Ok, most of you are smart enough to seek advice here, and thats good for you. But i know hundreds of people that would rather go to a store, pay 100 bucks, or 60 bucks, or 85 depending on which store in town here, get there issue resolved with them not having to learn or do anything. If your not ok with that thats cool, but for those who charge it and have a business based on that, who are you to tell them they are wrong? I see this when mobile djing, its the same people who hobby dj who lower prices to were full time djs get the oh but this guy does it for 20 an hour.

22. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

There really is no need for him to revert back to Windows 7. If all he is going to do is use the desktop, just have him install either Classic Shell, or Start8. I use Start8, and have found it better than what Classic Shell offers.

Besides, it may be very hard for him to find the correct drivers for that machine, if it was not originally built by the OEM to run Windows 7.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm with brownizs on this and I would leave Win8 on the PC as its a good OS, yes some may not like the tiles but they are when you get used to then really good, BUT you can add a "start menu" and use Win8 exactly like you would Win7 for free, Pokki is one app I have used and its really useful if you want the Win7 UI.

Windows 8 is no different to Win7 once you get past the "Tiles"

So save some cash as anyone can install an application and you do not need the "best buy" techs ;)

24. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Right... I'm stupid, have never worked in a retail environment or hired someone for service calls/professional services before. :confused

Condescending attitudes don't help a debate.

Changing the example to fit your argument isn't great for debating, either. I specified the example, and it mimicked the OP's situation.

I'm surprised you'd insert a business into the argument, such as Best Buy. They are NOT known for their technical expertise at all... in fact, I've seen many a thread here (and have heard several anecdotes from people personally) that they are horribly incompetent.

You brought an auto repair example up. Well, I'd say installing a simple program like Classic Shell would be a slightly smaller service than an oil change. Without going into specialty cars like BMWs and whatnot, a regular oil change costs... what, $40? Are you saying that charging $100 for an oil change is okay? What if everyone was charging $100 for an oil change... would that justify it?

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Lets see, an oil change costs yourself about 7-10 bucks. They charge 40 bucks. 4-6x the cost of doing it yourself.

Yep, you proved my point. It just so happens that the tech market marks up tech support more. It used to cost 35 bucks just to talk to Microsoft on the phone 10 years ago (outside of warranty support). I can only imagine now.

I'm fine with those prices too, because I rather someone else deal with the oil disposal and hassle of changing it. That is how a lot of people view tech issues, no matter how minor.

As for condescension, bud you are setting yourself up for it by not understanding what I and others have told you. Of course, that is not condescension on my part, it is me recognizing why you don't understand the markup and you taking offense to it, instead of simply acknowledging and learning. Oma, Cipher, and Colemanguy have all basically said the same thing I have. How come you aren't retorting what they say? Kind of interesting.

This is all speculation anyway, because neither you nor I know what they exactly planned to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  26. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

You conveniently avoid my questions, and focus on your noble effort to "educate me" on markup.

I'd like you to answer the questions I asked at the end of my last post.

27. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If the market bears it, then yes it is acceptable.

That is what a free market is all about. Price fixing is for the birds.

Answered enough for ya?

28. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yes, thank you.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Fair enough. That is part of a free market too. Those who disagree can lower than prices and suddenly competition is born :)

30. theefool

theefool Geekified

I think the OP got scared here. The only question I would have is does the laptop have drivers for windows 7.

31. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Some do, some don't. A lot of times, you have to pull the drivers from the manufacturer of the chipset website.

I just looked up the drivers for my son's Toshiba Satellite, and no drivers on their site for Windows 7.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds