Firmware Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by durkinjt, Jun 20, 2016.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

Just bought an Asus Drw 24B1ST, am trying to update the flashware from 1.00 to 1.03, flash will not finish get the message "firmware update cannotbe completed contact vendor", never had that happen before, any ideas appreciated

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Where are you finding that 1.03 firmware version? When I look here, I only see 1.00.

Also, why are you trying update the firmware? I never update firmware unless it addresses a problem I am experiencing.

3. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

I found the firmware in ImgBurn, updating because it is the latest version, can that hurt?

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If the firmware update fails, your will brick the drive. If it's a customized firmware and it's not compatible with the particular drive version you have, same thing.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

But according to the maker, it is NOT the latest version for that drive! So yes, if not compatible or the update process fails, as JP reports, it can brick your drive. I assume you didn't really get this update from ImgBurn but through Firmware HQ linked at ImgBurn, right? If ASUS does not show V1.03 where did Firmware HQ get it? That raises red flags for me.

I never get "firmware" updates from anyone but the hardware maker. There is no reason to believe a 3rd party knows the hardware better than the maker. While Firmware HQ may be sincere and have no bad intent, they cannot guarantee the firmware updates they [apparently] create on their own are compatible, or have not been hacked and modified with malicious code! :(

Regardless, "because a new version is out there" is no reason to update hardware's firmware - not even for motherboard BIOS firmware. Especially for a model that has been around for years as the DRW-24B1ST has.

As I noted, I never update firmware unless it addresses a specific issue I am having. This is also because, even in the best of conditions with a real, authorized version update from the hardware maker, flashing firmware (reprogramming a EEROM IC) is ALWAYS a risky procedure. Any hiccough, power fluctuation, bad karma, whatever, can disrupt the process and corrupt the IC permanently. :(

So I ALWAY go to the authorized source and read the change log first and if I don't need it, I leave it alone! The only other exception would be if the firmware addresses a security issue, but those are very rare - but again, not from a 3rd party.

If it's not broke, don't fix it!

6. durkinjt

durkinjt Corporal

Thanks for the enlightment, Best board on the net, always helpful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds