Firefox Update Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

When I opened Firefox this morning, it said update failed and told me to go to the official website. From there, I downloaded the newest update and when I tried installing it, it asked me if I wanted the 32-bit or the 64-bit version. As my Windows 8.1 is 64-bit, I went for that version. The install completed, and I assumed I'd now have the 64-bit version. But if I click on Help and About Firefox, I'm told I have the 32-bit version of Firefox 53.0 So what happened to the 64-bit version? Geek Uninstaller tells me I have both.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

The 64-bit version will be in Program Files/Mozilla. To run it, you'll need to place a shortcut on the desktop then, you can pin it to the taskbar if you wish.

If you don't want to run the 32-bit version, uninstall it.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Here's what's really confusing me though. I have tried opening the 64-bit version from within Program Files/Mozilla before and it's always the 32-bit version that opens. I just tried doing as you suggested now and created a shortcut on the desktop but when I double-click on it, it's still the 32-bit version that opens. So should I uninstall the 32-bit version first? And will uninstalling affect my profile in any way? I don't want to lose all my saved passwords.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

A standard uninstall never touches the profile.
    The standard set up from mozilla.org is always the 32 bit version, you have to go to the 'other systems and languages' page to get the 64 bit version.

5. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

6. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

So unless the 'help > about firefox' shows as 64 bit, you'll need to uninstall it, restart your system, then reinstall it from a new set up file. It's not rocket science.

8. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

As a matter of fact, I now have both FF52(32) and FF53(64) with icons for each on my desktop.

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Um, OK. Don't see how that really helps me.

10. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Just pointing out, you can have more than one installation. Also, FF created the icons. I didn't make any short cuts. Did you do what Max said in post #7?

11. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I've had him on ignore for months. His attitude pisses me off. But I'll try what he said anyway.

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I've done the same now. You can only lead a horse to the water ....

13. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I finally just uninstalled both versions of Firefox and reinstalled the 64-bit one.

14. mdonah

I have more than one computer AND Operating System running Firefox. I sign in to Firefox and I sync across all the Firefox installations. If I re-install an OS and/or Firefox, I sign in on the new installation and a few seconds later, all of my settings, bookmarks and passwords are available in the new installation.

BTW, there's no real advantage to running the 64-bit version of Firefox. The 32-bit version runs just fine on 64-bit Windows.

MaxTurner likes this.
  15. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Add-ons too. When you use more than one computer Firefox sync works like a dream keeping all your Firefox's in the same state.

16. mdonah

Not all add=ons. I use Mail.com Mailcheck and have to add it manually to each FF installation.

17. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

That's true, but Mozilla plans to push 64-bit for 64-bit OS installations.
    There is an article update here at the end under the title Mozilla Windows Firefox 64-bit schedule.
    https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/23/mozilla-reveals-its-firefox-64-bit-for-windows-plan/

The tests here comparing 32-bit and 64-bit Firefox are not based on the current version(s), but still, it's interesting.
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/mozilla-firefox-64bit-build-performance-compared-to-32bit/

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds