Copying Music Files From Micro Sd Card

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by Earthling, May 11, 2017.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I didn't expect to have any problem with this. I just want to copy some music files from my Windows Lumia 8.1 phone's SD card to my laptop but can't find any way to do so as there are no Share options, only 'play'. The files were put on the phone from CDs we own but can't remember now how I did it - don't often mess around with music files.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Select the files and then Copy to where you want the files.

3. Earthling

Not that simple. You can select but the only available action is Play. C'mon Eldon, you know I wouldn't be asking if it was that simple.

4. Eldon

Ok, maybe because I use an Android phone and Windows 7 it's simple.
    Show me a screenshot of what you're options are.

5. Earthling

I found a way to share but it's a bit slow. Might be quicker to do it again from CD.

6. Eldon

You are not saying where the only available action is Play.
    Also, do you have access to a Android phone?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  7. Eldon

Have you tried using Windows Media Player?
    If it recognises my Android phone, surely it should recognise a Windows:eek:phone?

8. Earthling

It's ok Eldon, I can see now how it's done but I may need to get a cable - bluetooth is too slow. I will fire up whatever equates in 10 to Media Player and see if it's possible to pull the files rather than push, and maybe it will be possible to push to OneDrive too. Too late for that tonight though.

9. Eldon

Yes, Bluetooth is terrible for for copying/syncing many files.
    Go the WMP way. It recognised my phone and sync the files.
    Good luck! :)

10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You have no USB cable? How do you charge your phone?

11. Earthling

Mains adapter.

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Mains adapters for smart phones are normally connected via a USB cable. Standard size to adapter, Micro to the phone. Never seen one that wasn't, except on very old cell phones.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  13. Earthling

Then be my guest - Microsoft Lumia 630 power adapter.

WP_20170512_17_40_46_Pro.jpg

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes that's an old one. If you now buy an adapter for that old budget model, they are all now USB at both ends. If such a cable wasn't in the original box which it should have included, that's truly bizarre after all as it's built for Windows how the hell did Nokia think you were gonna connect it??
    I have so many USB cables that are standard at one end and micro at the other I keep them in a drawer rarely opened! :D

15. Earthling

It was bought in September 2014 from TalkTalk, so not that old, not in my book anyway.

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

My first smart phone - a Samsung Galaxy - is about 8 years old now. It had a two way USB cable in the box. The charger is a plug with a USB socket. Hard wired cell phone chargers are very old hat. It's strange that a cable like that wasn't in the box. You can't connect it to any device without it.
    But then I wouldn't touch anything from Talk Talk since even now, many years after they caused a storm for being one of the worst telecommunications providers going, they're not much better now.

17. Earthling

Do you believe everything you read? TalkTalk earned - and deserved - its poor reputation solely because of its abysmal support. In eight years my BB copper wire connection never once failed and I had no problems with them whatsoever. Wish I could say the same about my current Virgin Media fibre connection.

18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OFCOM (originally 'Oftel') didn't take that view, nor did the reputable consumer organisation Which?. In terms of service from contracting to the actual service provision no provider ranked as low as TalkTalk. That's simply a fact. You were clearly one of the lucky ones among a very low percentage of customers who had hassle free service. If 100% of customers had had a bad service TT wouldn't even exist now.
    But you cannot fail to know what its reputation was - avoid it like the plague.

19. Earthling

I had many friends and acquaintances on TalkTalk forums who would often come to me with their problems, and some still do. Almost without exception their problems were due to their own lack of understanding but TalkTalk, which did attract many newcomers, always got the blame. You are simply repeating what you have read. I'm not saying they were a good ISP as clearly for the less experienced they were not, but the real truth was rather different from the publicity.

20. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

TalkTalk service provision has improved over the last decade but it has never matched many of its competitors. And the view of Oftel (then Ofcom), the Which? organisation and commentators like Martin Lewis (of the moneysavingexpert site) was that opting for TT - because it always competed on price alone (at for large numbers of years it was the cheapest) - had to come at the very high risk of poor service especially at the contracting stage. For people with a low budget no one would blame them for taking the chance and - at its worst - about 50% of contracting customers would do ok. Hard luck for the rest though.

And just to clear up one thing with you, since you are making assumptions, a number of years ago I opted for Talk Talk as I was then only working part time and studying as mature student in post-graduate studies on a very limited budget. I had FOUR MONTHS of what can only be described as total hell. So I know personally how bad TT was and what a terrible misjudgement I made. I simply wont return as a customer to an organisation that was so bad BBC Watchdog programmes interviewed DOZENS of people on camera in TEARS because of TT.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  21. Earthling

@Eldon

Seems there is a problem in my setup somewhere, as even when phone and laptop are connected by cable they can't access the others files. Need to check by connecting the phone to my PC whether the laptop or the phone are the problem.

22. Eldon

Earthling
    Try your PC first and we'll take it from there.
    Your phone's SD card should show in Computer because it's just like a memory stick (flash drive).

23. Earthling

Plugged it into three different Win 10 systems. On each one 'Windows Phone' shows up in This PC but that's as far as you get, File Explorer can't open it and WMP doesn't see it. Googling the problem it seems it's very common, answer is a Windows 10 phone :eek: Mine is not supported for Win 10 but I might try it anyway. Don't waste too much time on it as it isn't a big deal at all but if you do come across any solution let me know.

24. Eldon

If you're sure the music files are on the SD card a simple solution would be a USB memory card reader. Doesn't any of your laptops have a card reader?

25. Earthling

Have two identical Thinkpads with card slots but tbh I know next to nothing about SD cards and do not fancy trying to put my phone's micro SD card into a dark and dusty looking slot over 1" wide. I may never see it again :eek:

26. Earthling

Meant to add that I guess I need an adapter.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  27. Eldon

Yes.
    Both Micro SD cards I bought came with adapters.

28. Earthling

Then I'd better have a mooch around - I probably already have one but forgot about it.

29. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

While I may have been lasy and not read all posts 100% when you plug in the phones USB cable to your PC does Windows not istall the driver and then with my 8.1 and 10 Windows phones I can access Explorer and copy files ok?

Also try https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/files/9wzdncrfj3pl?rtc=1 and poss if you have space move any files to OneDrive on your phone and access from PC

30. Earthling

That's the nub of the problem. When I connect it by cable the phone does emit a sound, but that's it - no sign of drivers being installed and no USB connected devices showing, so copying files in Explorer isn't possible. Tested that on three different Win 10 systems with the same results. However I did eventually manage to send all the files to OneDrive so that solved the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds