What Makes A Site Refuse A Connection?

Discussion in 'Malware Help - Public (Anyone Can Post & Respond)' started by faster, Aug 22, 2017.

1. faster

faster Private E-2

I'm here at majorgeeks, and logged in, but last time I tried to, I couldn't open the site. I had been refused! (FYI, I use W7.)

At first, coming to this site, I encountered a "Contentteller" window (with no URL), that said:
    "The MySQL database of this Contentteller Content Management System installation has encountered the following problem:
    The MySQL database server is not reachable

Please try it in a few minutes again. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Trying again didn't work. And who is "WE"?

Have you EVER heard of Contentteller? What should I do about my SQL to make it "reachable"?

Next time I tried to get majorgeeks, I was flatly refused.

I've done nothing to merit such treatment, but I don't think it is major geeks' fault. It might be the doing of an employee with "issues," though. After rebooting, there was no problem coming to this site.

I was in the midst of a problem where something changed my RealTek network adapter to a Samsung. Which, of course, didn't work. Without question, it was malicious. It had to use administrative privileges to change the adapter in Device Manager. I still haven't solved it fully, though I can get around it, sometimes. That may account for that thing about SQL, but I don't see how.

Does anyone know what the criteria are for a website to refuse to let someone connect with their URL? And anyone know HOW it's done? Has anyone experienced anything like these things? Is it possible it was anything but a hack, rather than malware?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You were "refused" because the servers were down and didn't come back until 3 am.

Eldon and dr.moriarty like this.
  3. faster

faster Private E-2

Well, if the servers were down, why didn't it say so, or at least say it was unable to connect?
    A refusal is an intentional thing. It is a decision.
    Maybe that refusal ought to be rewritten? It made me think they were keeping me away, specifically, and that I somehow was deemed harmful. The world's first wheelchair-ridden grandma cybercrook.
    When servers are down, they usually just say that.
    A refusal should be just that. A genuine refusal of someone, and for a specific reason.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

It depends on more than just the server being down - your ISP, your browser, etc.
    I got no message in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Just a blank screen. And then I realised it was 2 AM in Florida...
    It's one of those things. :)

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If the servers are down....how can it broadcast a message? The refusal probably came from your ISP.

6. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I tried to sign in from UK and got a message from Virgin Media ISP saying that "majorgeeks.com may not exist"

7. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

Depending on the nature of the servers being down, depends on the nature of the HTTP response. If the entire server was just down, you should have gotten a 404 or a 408 message. If you got a 403 message, it probably came from something acting as a proxy between you and majorgeeks.com.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds