I Have Had A Stroke

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ItsWendy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I've been gone from here recuperating to the point I could talk coherently here. I hope I can do so long term. I know I have lost serious IQ points,But I was lucky I think? It was a hemorrhagic stroke ( a brain bleed) that should have killed me. I am paralyzed on my left side and have been so for more than a year.I do have some hope of recovering eventually,but it should come as no surprise I am fairly depressed. I find many aspects of computers that used to be easy are now beyond me. So I come back here humbly asking for help on several issues.I will address them one at a time in what are small digestible bytes.

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

If a mod reads this could you please change the title to"I have had a Stroke"? Thank you.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Jezzz...been wondering where you have been. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. I am sure you will be in all our prayers!!

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hang in there. :)
    In your own time and at your own pace post what you need help with.

DavidGP likes this.
  5. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Sad to hear this development, but glad to see you back! Keep the "hope" going. I'm sure many of your fellow geeks here will do what we can to help. I will.:)

DavidGP likes this.
  6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Dealing with the depression is the tough part because it is fed by the frustration from lack of mobility and forgetfulness. In my case it was my right side and I've already forgotten more than I knew in the first place.

Hopefully the paralysis will fade, it has to some degree for me although there is some lingering numbness. So you keep at it, just don't push things to hard. As for "IQ" points, you have retained the ability to learn. Computers are patient critters, take your time. More power to you.

DavidGP likes this.
  7. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Thank you al It was nice to see some familiar faces again.

Be warned. I literally have nothing else to do but post. So I might become a nusence. I'll try to keep it interesting.

I am a moderator for a site that runs the same software(All About Circuits.com). If you wander over that way introduce your self to me. So I am not a complete, novice. My typing can be spotty as I am on my back looking over a cranky old laptop with a lite up keyboard, I suspect you will be as familiar with this hunk of junk as I am in the future.

DavidGP likes this.
  8. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Sad news indeed and I am very sorry to be hearing it. I wish you all the best for what will be an ongoing struggle to live your day to day life but trust me when I say if you have a positive attitude then you will have a much better chance of a better outcome. Yes I know it is hard......
    You have taken a big step coming here and asking for help and I am sure any help will be forthcoming as you have many friends here.

My low point came in 1999 when overnight without any warning or pre history of eye problems (I had 20/20 vision), I lost my sight and was told I would never work again.
    I did all sorts of rehab and saw 9 of the leading neurosurgeons and 3 of the leading ophthalmologists in Australia and if a solution could be bought at any cost anywhere in the world I would have been fixed but my condition was previously a terminal disease and now just incurable and you are kept alive with drugs. Getting my sight back despite all the procedures didn't happen so in 2001 I invested in a heap of technology so I could do network management for a National Company from my own home office and have been doing IT Admin work ever since. Previously I was an Electronics Engineer involved in research and that path is now gone but when one door closed I made another one open.

Good luck with your battle with depression as I know it can be a real burden to carry but if you really believe things can get better then sure enough slowly they do.... it may not be straight away but over time it does happen. For me now I am confident enough to go out alone to public places without a white stick and I haven't used the white stick since late 2001 when I decided to be blind on my terms doing what I want to do and not using my blindness as an excuse. The other option was sitting around despairing why the hell I was the one unlucky enough to be chosen to go blind overnight and using this as the reason why I couldn't do things any more.

If you need some support feel free to PM me as I have hit rock bottom and survived
    Best wishes
    joffa :cool:

DavidGP likes this.
  9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Wendy and wish you a speedy recovery, but as you know we are here to help where we can and if that means bite size tech replies then so be it, so no worries on how simple the question maybe just ask away.

Hey post away and get involved in the Lounge as the more you keep active mentally the better for recovery.

Eldon likes this.
  10. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Best wishes for your recovery.

11. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Best wishes ItsWendy. Ask for any help you like.

Oddly, a gentleman that lives three doors away from me had a stroke a short time ago at the age of 35 while he was at his computer at work. His was a clot type, not an aneurism or bleeder and they had him on medication within 45 minutes of the stroke occurring. He's on bed rest and home right now but, that's all I know.

12. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Very sorry to hear about your health, Wendy. It's good to see you around, though. Best wishes on your road to recovery.

13. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Just saw this Post.

My heart and prayers are with you while I admire and applaud your inner strength and fortitude to pick up, push forward, and reach out...all difficult but you're doing it!

So Kudos to you...I feel humbled after reading your story...you've moved far forward, more than for what you're giving yourself credit.

Don't look at progress since yesterday, instead look back since the incident to now and see what you're doing and the friends that surround you in reality and virtually. You're come far!

Go ItsWendy! Go Girl!

Cheers

LS

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hey-You are doing great !- My son died of the same thing about 9 years ago, -so I know what you have been through, and what a fight you are having.
    He was unlucky, despite them cutting a piece from his skull to relieve pressure, and sewing it into his stomach to keep everything going. I left geeking alone then for a few years, as it (obviously) made my life difficult. too -
    You are very lucky, and as everyone has said, keep posting - By doing so , someone here may just help jog those old brain cell's to click back on.
    All the best

15. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I have had a stroke too . And everything I learned about computers, was post stroke. The stroke makes it tough to retain information, but it's not impossible. So keep looking up and set goals for your recovery that are out of your reach, but that will give you something to work for! And if you ever need someone to chat with that can say "I KNOW what you mean" because I really do, message me.

16. EJB

EJB Corporal

Thank You for posting again....you give us all hope:)

DavidGP likes this.
  17. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I rarely read this section of the board but I spotted the word stroke in the new posts section.
    Here's hoping you steadily improve. Try and keep a positive outlook and concentrate on what you can do rather than what you can't do.

DavidGP likes this.
  18. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I seriously can't believe I didn't see this until now. I have now changed my MG bookmark so it won't take me straight to the Lounge anymore. If I had done that sooner I'd have seen this...!

I know I'm not alone in saying you've been missed. I'm glad the stroke didn't kill you. :)

Tonyrush likes this.
  19. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I'm glad of that too. But surviving the stroke and the coma made it easier to deal with when I found out that I had cancer!

20. prozacprincess

prozacprincess Private E-2

I'm so sorry Wendy, what a horrible thing to go though.

21. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I lived!Could be worse.

DavidGP and Mimsy like this.
  22. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Positive thoughts Wendy!

23. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

How are you going Wendy? My best to you for ongoing positive improvements.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

LS​

DavidGP likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds