Google Update--automatic Install??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tweety1964, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Tweety1964

Tweety1964 Private First Class

I recently found Google Update in my Program Files, but do not recall downloading it. I have noticed recently that "Google Install" has been coming up om Task Manager (I always end that task.) Is this an automatic install, i.e. done without my permission or any notification whatsoever, except seeing it on Task Manager, add is it safe to delete this folder? I use Revo Unistaller to uninstall programs and Google is not listed under installed applications. I rarely use Google, but do have a Gmail account, which I haven't checked in months.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You will have Google Update if you use any of Google's apps - Mail, Calendar, Search, Drive, Maps, YouTube, Earth etc, etc. It's normal.

3. Tweety1964

That explains it. So I should just break down and install Chrome? I keep getting an error message when I try to do a search on YouTube.

4. Earthling

What browser are you normally using? Have you tried an alternative?

5. Tweety1964

I use AOL primarily for email and "surfing." I use Internet Explorer to download stuff from Major Geeks. I tried Chrome a couple of years ago and I hated it.

6. Earthling

If you are using Win 10 it would be preferable to use Edge or, if you don't get on with Edge, try Firefox. If you are not yet on 10 I would suggest you try Firefox first as it is an easy transition from IE. You don't have to use Chrome.

7. Tweety1964

I'm happy with with the browsers I have, but thanks. I just don't want Chrome/Google installing things without my permission and want the junk offf my computer. Is it safe to just delete the folder/files (I did a search for both Google and Chrome) from my computer, as it isn't showing up on Revo Uninstaller?

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. Earthling

If you cancel your Gmail account and your Google account and stop using ANY Google apps you will probably eventually be able to delete the files you have objections to. I suspect though that, like many users, you will have and be using some Google apps without realising it, example YouTube. The errors you are getting when searching YouTube are probably related to your stopping Google update from working.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's not the case. I have Chrome, Gmail and use You Tube regularly. I have no files for Google, or Google Update in Program files or user data and nothing stops me accessing Gmail or You Tube.
    I suggest the OP simply deletes any of the files found on their system from that Livewire article.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Cookies enabled are all that is needed to access those services.

12. Earthling

I don't know - I have Google files in both Program Files and Program Files (x86) in my laptop but not in my PC. Maybe it's only certain apps that cause it to be installed (I have Google Earth for example in the laptop but not the PC).

13. Earthling

@Tweety1964 - do you by any chance have Google Earth installed? If not, do you have any other Google apps showing in Revo?

14. plodr

I have a gmail account, use googledrive to store files, and YouTube on my desktop computer (7 Home Premium 32bit).
    I have NO google or google update files in Programs.

15. Earthling

Thought I'd covered that in #12. It does look likely that only certain Google apps cause these Google files to be installed and I'm waiting an answer from the OP as to what installed apps he/she has.

16. plodr

I was adding additional info to Max's #10 post, explaining I don't have Chrome but I do use google drive and have no files. I also checked my laptop with the same result as the PC.

So we can rule out Chrome, gmail, YouTube and googledrive as adding files to a PC or laptop.

17. Earthling

Agreed. Would be good if the OP were to respond with info on their installed Google apps such as Earth or Chrome

18. Tweety1964

No, I don't have Google Earth installed, and no Google apps are showing up on Revo.

I went through the entire Lifewire article about removing Google Update and did not find any Google Update files in registry subkey HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\. I haven't deleted any Google Update instances found (and there are A LOT of them!) yet. If Google Update is not found in the registry subkey above, then just deleting the updte files I have found (backing them up to a separate folder first, of course) SHOULD stop Google Update from running automatically, right? I found another way to foil Google from keeping me from searching on YouTube; I just use IE instead of the AOL Browser.

19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Just do what the article suggests and remove the Google entries on your system. It's as simple as that.
    AOL Explorer is a discontinued program. Anyone on You Tube telling you to use that in order to keep Google away is peeing down your back and telling you it's raining. It's laughable.

20. Tweety1964

Thanks, Max!

21. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Earthling and plodr like this.
  22. plodr

Ah, I never thought about an emulator to run android apps on a Windows PC. Of course google would want to update.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Eldon.

23. Tweety1964

Sounds like Google likes to install a lot of junk w/o the user's permission/knowledge.

24. Earthling

Yep, I had BlueStacks on my laptop briefly too, so that's where the Google files came from, not from Earth as I had assumed.

25. plodr

But those of us who don't have an android emulator don't have "google junk".
    Google does a good job of keeping android up to date and that why an android emulator would have auto update - because google owns the android OS.

26. Earthling

It isn't just BlueStacks causing these update files to be installed, Google Earth does it too. Google files in Program Files (x86) updated as recently as 23 Aug on this laptop. I removed BlueStacks at least a year ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds