You May Drool... And Dream!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Eldon, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have always liked Lamborghini cars. They are more exclusive than Ferraris, and faster than Porsches.
    Yes, they are unpractical, and there aren't many roads to fully explore the performance. Not to mention the price!
    But, they are a sight for sore eyes.
    http://www.lambocars.com/main.html

lamborghini_press_conference_at_the_2017_iaa_600.jpg
    aventador_s_roadster_600.jpg

DOA, DavidGP and baklogic like this.
  2. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

upload_2017-10-2_10-9-5.png
    Yeah...I do that a lot when I see them drive by...​

3. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I have always liked Lamborghini cars although my all time favourite car is a Ferrari F40.
    My favourite Lamborghini is the 2001 Diablo GTR although older ones are also very nice too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy
    joffa :cool:

Eldon likes this.
  4. Eldon

I was shocked when I read the Countach is being replaced... how dare they! :eek:
    Until I saw pictures of the Diablo. :D
    It has 'character' - something lacking in all the later models.
    But, they're still a sight for sore eyes.

I would not mind owning this beauty...
    huracan_super_trofeo_evo_600.jpg

5. Eldon

Anybody remember the LM002? o_O
    lm002_600.jpg

DavidGP and legalsuit like this.
  6. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Realistically, if I had the cash, then I can see myself quite comfortably moving with either of these babies:

Mercedes SL 63 Roadster Drive Away Price starting from $394,212.73

[​IMG]

or...

[​IMG] Porsche's new 911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet Drive Away Price AU$322,068 *

As I'm a down to earth type person, if I had that sort of money to spend, I'd invest in house property then a few years down the track after tripling the money, I most certainly would invest in the latest model...yeah!

upload_2017-10-2_18-58-44.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Eldon likes this.
  7. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Eldon likes this.
  8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

o_OI no longer yearn for a nice fast car, or, even a new one.
    After all the careless drivers, and passengers in U.K car parks, who will open their doors so carelessly, and ding your motor, I settled for older low mileage vehicles.:(
    I try to get them around three years old, or, like my present one was six years old , diesel, 2l Mercedes A Class,with 49,000 on it-
    I get 62 to the gallon on a run out over 40 miles- 55 to the gallon 10 miles - average on 1 to 2 mile journey of around 45 to the gallon, short stop and start.
    0-60 I WHAT SEEMS LIKE 10 MINUTES, BUT NOT THAT BAD REALLY. Handy when you have a little disability, and cheap to run and maintain.:D
    My favourite cars that I have had, and driven in the 60's were the Mark 7, and Mark 8 Jaguar- big, heavy, but I used to get 25 to the gallon on a run, and I found road holding very good, and a comfortable, well equipped car.
    I also liked the BMW 5 Series-again, not the fastest, but lovely car to drive, and comfortable.
    With a few children at a young age, I have always had to go for economy, and room -
    The fastest little bleeder that I had was a little Alpha-sud - Did that fly (rust heap, but wow!)
    I love to see these Lamborghini, and Ferraris, etc: :cool:but I now just gawp, no longer drool, as it would be a shame to leave it parked anywhere except in a garage.:oops:

Eldon likes this.
  9. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

[​IMG]

Stunning cars for sure Eldon, iv'e got no chance though, the wife has even banned me from eBay!

Eldon likes this.
  10. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Sad thing though i know for a fact that there are street cars that can go faster.

Heck one day i just tested my car and it's Top speed was 140.

I don't like even going past 70 let alone 140.My car can barely stay on the road at 80.

4 cylinder 1.8 Turbo type 2 With a 6 Speed Automatic / Manual shift.

All though i find that i get better Gas millage on Manual shift than Automatic.

Here is some one doing 120 in a Chevy Sonic

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0i22i30k1j33i21k1j33i22i29i30k1.0.eBVuYdI7Oog

15,000 dollar car vs a 100,000 that would be a fun match.Cop's would pull over the Lambo be for the sonic.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Eldon likes this.
  11. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Reminds me of my "Brain Buggy".

Guess I'll have to find the box it's in and play with it now...

Eldon likes this.
  12. Eldon

The outrages (for the time) Lamborghini Countach is one of just two cars I have dreamed about owning. But today, I'll much rather settle for an Audi RS3 sedan. It has 4 doors, seating for 4-5, and will nail the Lambo on any road or track all the way up to 250 Km/h. Remove the speed limiter... I doubt the Countach will come past.

While the Audi RS7 might seem like just another German sedan, with the Dynamic Plus package top speed increases to 305 km/h (189.5 mph).
    This puts it on par with the much higher priced Porsche Panamera and Aston Martin Rapide.
    Imagine hitting 300km/h in an RS6 Avant - a station wagon!
    640px-2014_Audi_RS7.jpg
    640px-Audi_RS6_-_Mondial_de_l'Automobile_de_Paris_2014_-_001.jpg

Likewise the BMW M5 with the M Driver's Package.
    640px-BMW_M5,_IAA_2017,_Frankfurt_(1Y7A3538).jpg

13. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

14. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Realistically, where can these super duper cars be safely driven to full capacity without getting a speeding fine?

Australian highways generally have speed limits of 90km/h to 110km/h (55.9234miles ph to 68.3508miles ph) depending on the State and type of road. There was one strip of highway in my state which went to 120km/h (74.5645miles ph). I believe in our Northern Territory state, there is a highway for 130km/h (80.7783miles ph).

So, even if one could afford one of our dream car(s), where would we drive it? Otherwise, it is condemned to speed restrictions and worse, half the road speed allowance during peak hours!

15. Anon-469e6fb48c

Avg Speed Us Pennsylvania Us is about 35 mph to 55 on normal roads.If you go on the highways it's about 55 to 70 depends on which road.

The really only place that is best to drive a super car at it's fastest is at a track or a abandoned air strip or base.

Because they have those super long run ways.

I like it how they make those cars look so shiny and yet they look like crap in about a month when someone buys them.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2017
  16. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

For me that takes away the real pleasure of owning such a car if you can't completely enjoy every aspect of it...but then, one must be able to properly handle such power if completely opening it up.

And then owners who make them "look like crap in about a month" shows they must have more money than sense. Shameful treatment for such beauty.

I often see such beautiful cars next to me while I keep the same speed adjacent whether in peak hour traffic crawl or when I'm speeding apace such a beauty at maximum highway speed - each time gives me a chance to check it out (rarely a young driver, often someone grey haired?!!?...hmmm)

17. joffa

Down here in Victoria there are monthly drive days at the different race tracks and if you are in a car club then you can drive your road registered and roadworthy vehicle on a race track. I have attended many times and driven many times.

Once a year some of the exotic car clubs have charity drive days at some of the race tracks and for a $100 donation you can be a passenger for 5 high speed laps of the race track and I have been a passenger in a Ferrari F40, a Ferrari Boxer, a Ferrari 308 GTB, a Lambhorgini Miura, a Lambhorgini Countach and a Ferrari Dino.
    I wished I could have had a ride in a Diablo but it was already booked out on the three times I attended the event.
    The racetracks I drove on are Sandown International Raceway, Winton Racetrack and Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit. I have also driven a drag car at Calder Park Drag Strip.

If you want to have a drive of a high performance race car without owning one then you can do advanced driving courses and you usually end up doing hot laps in an retired race car otherwise you can pay $395 for a drive of a V8 Supercar at Sandown Raceway. Here in Melbourne https://www.adrenaline.com.au/v8-ex...d=sandown+raceway;price=;sortby=most+popular;

BTW When I was much younger and had more money than sense I used to race a National Class 1 (unresricted) Off Road Buggy that was in the top 20 fastest cars in Australia. Sadly for my racing aspirations, I got married and had kids and couldn't afford to spend the $40,000 a year on the race car so now I have a house and family and a happy life :)

EDIT I forgot to mention that in the Northern Territory you can drive as fast as you want on some of the highways so long as you can prove it was safe to do so on the day ie if you were doing 200kmh in a VW Beetle then that might not be deemed safe but a purpose designed performance vehicle is not a problem :)

DOA and baklogic like this.
  18. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Now that's more like it. Wasn't aware we had something like that happening here - excellent!:cool:

Sounds like your wife had a faster car than yours to have caught you{?!}:p:D

19. joffa

Nah........ I just found a bunch of common sense ;)
    Living the playboy lifestyle in your youth is OK but if you make it your life then you may end up a lonely old man in old age........ and besides it is nice to have a family and it fills you with pride when you see your children developing into successful, independent adults:)
    Currently one of my kids has just finished a tour of Europe and is enroute to Brazil and the other is in Bali for a few weeks surfing.

wile e coyote likes this.
  20. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Hmmm…wonder if that fits those I spotted behind the wheel of such beauties(?)

You certainly sound like a proud dad and happy spouse…and you knocked up a good time when you enjoyed and participated in a car sport with such beauties. Nice, real nice:)

joffa likes this.
  21. Anon-469e6fb48c

Most of us do when we get older.

joffa likes this.
  22. Anon-469e6fb48c

It depends on how long you have been driving and your driving skill really.

It's not about speed it's about skill.Speed is just a by product.

Which is true in most cases.If you can handle a higher horse powered car than go for it.Most people can't handle more than 300 HP.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

24. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

:cool:...for me, I still like the Mercedes SL 63 Roadster or Porsche's new 911 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (per my earlier Post):)

DavidGP likes this.
  25. DavidGP

legalsuit likes this.
  26. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

That's kinda like saying, "My other car is a Mercedes" [​IMG][​IMG] upload_2017-10-14_23-7-41.png

DavidGP likes this.
  27. DavidGP

LMAO as I know someone who has a Lamborghini Hurican who has a BMW M3 as a daily!

legalsuit likes this.
  28. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Now that is just wrong!

(so jealous......!)

baklogic likes this.
  29. DavidGP

hahahahaha I know, he loosing the "normal" Hurican for likely a Hurican Performante, thats even more wrong!

I just have a Abarth 595 as a daily

30. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

At least I can savour the old days of grass track, and banger racing - I will always remember getting a pole position in the final of Aldershot stadium hot rods, with an Austin A40, that only had a highly hand polished head, and an 1 and a half inch SU carburetta - I never finished in the first 3 but I gave them a run for their money- back end with just a spot of weld to give a semi fixed diff made cornering interesting - Still not a lamborgeni, but a great laugh.

31. joffa

Hmmm.... you must have rather large testicles baklogic :p didn't the A40 only have drum brakes :eek:
    In the 1970s I used to race a Datsun 1600 SSS with a race head, race cam, twin 45mm sidedraft Weber carbies, extractors, upgraded disc brakes and a full roll cage with racing seats. It was road registered and I used to compete in rallies . Never did that well as there were always those pesky Mazda RX7s and Capellas that had much better speed. I did have a couple of 2nd in class but never a first :(
    It was great fun but too expensive so in the 1980s I started doing off road racing in a Verco Hustler and had a lot more success :cool:
    This was one of my cars at speed
    [​IMG]

baklogic likes this.
  32. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Whoooo! Hooooo! Yeeeehaaaaa!
    upload_2017-10-15_21-24-45.png
    Now that looks like you're really rockin' it.
    Yeah!​

33. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Joffa, I would have loved to have had the money to have put together, and raced something like that, but I started with banger racing-even did the DD(death and destruction) races, and then grass track racing. I always remember that I was one of the few cars in non contact racing, as grass track as supposed to be, who had a load of dents in the rear end, but not a scratch on the front (trophy racers used to nudge me all the time, as the backend was difficult to keep still(probably doing the rumba around the bends)- and most o them were front wheel drive. The old A40 was rear wheel drive, and the only way to help it at all was to put a spot of weld in the diff, as I said. I spent hours working on the head and inlet ports, so that you could almost have eaten off of it -the exhaust front pipe was shortened to around 3 feet (less than a metre to get the power right, and an exhaust box with little baffle inside. I love the memory of that surprise pole position, of the bloke on the commentary box saying - "At pole for the final is Jim Hooley, with that A40- I reckon it's worth a fiver to have that head off "(engine, of course).
    I felt like a million dollars (proud) and remember trying to shout over the noise- "you are welcome, I could do with the fiver"(A five pound in my pocket in the 60's was worth having).-
    Obviously it was not in the real hot rod, like your racing, it was a class below, -yours was the one above- but, for me, the best I could get into(financially)- Actually my brother could have been a great Formula 1 driver if he had continued racing after go-carting at over a 100mph- Honestly, he was that good, and had so many trophies- as I understand a few Formula 1 drivers went on to it, after go-karting. (I would not have liked that, myself, as there is so little protection, and at those speeds......
    I remember trying skimmed heads of different mm, and tinkering with the timing to get enough revs -

34. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I forgot to say- brakes ? - I hardly remember using them until a race was over - double quick gear change was mostly used, until actually stopping at the end of the race - I got it down to 2nd and third only once I pulled away- using the clutch, rather than brakes, as I needed to get out of the corners quick with hotter cars up my rear- I suppose the rumba by my rear end helped, too;):rolleyes:

DOA likes this.
  35. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

If you are after looks, I agree, so pretty.
    As far as performance, the future holds much more. Like Joffa the local track has charity track days, limited to 3 or 5 laps depending on turnout. There is no real racing as we start staggered and do not usually pass. But lap times tell all. With 3 laps the Tesla P100D falls in right behind the mighty 911 Turbo S at about 80% of the purchase price. After purchase the Tesla just gets cheaper due to much less maintenance.
    Time to update some paradigms?

DavidGP and baklogic like this.
  36. Eldon

DOA, baklogic and DavidGP like this.
  37. DavidGP

For a car clock thats a hands down winner Eldon!

Eldon likes this.
  38. Eldon

39. DavidGP

baklogic likes this.
  40. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

All very nice, if one has a nice big garage at home, and garages every where to stop, otherwise, I would not dare to think about having one (if I could afford it)- especially in UK :) -I would be frightened to leave such a lovely peace of merchandise parked anywhere.:rolleyes:

41. Imandy Mann

42. Eldon

43. Imandy Mann

upload_2017-11-5_8-41-59.png What a shot!

44. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Still a nice dream......

45. Anon-469e6fb48c

I like how they say three different names of cars in Need for speed movie.But the cars are the same specs.

300 MPH can not be done on regular roads sorry to say.Max speed is around 130 to 180.

These cars in the picture can only do about 210 or 220.On a Airstrip.

46. Eldon

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/koenigsegg-has-smashed-worlds-fastest-car-record

Imandy Mann likes this.
  47. Imandy Mann

Back in the days I've seen 130 in my own Camero and on the back of a triple cylinder Kawasaki 750. Both had room for more. That's old school.
    What these folks just did deserves respect!

48. Imandy Mann

49. Anon-469e6fb48c

Yes but there is no way in hell you can get more than 210 around a corner in PA or twisty windy roads.

On a flat straight road maybe but.When you hit a corner it drops drastically.From 280 to about 160 or less.There is know way this car could take a full turn into a corner at top speed.It would flip over and over a dozen times be for stopping.

This is why i don't like super cars.

Sure you may go fast but whats the point of going fast if you are just going to destroy a 2 million dollar car.

Point less and a waste of money.

50. Imandy Mann

I would guess if 1.5 million is spent to build a car, a record or 2 would be nice!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds