If You Had A Blank Check To Buy Any Vehicle, What Would You Get?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JoshuaHall41, Nov 10, 2017.

1. JoshuaHall41

JoshuaHall41 Private E-2

In your opinion?

2. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

If i had a blank check i would just buy the whole place if there was enough money in the checking account.

3. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I just recently bought a '93 Crown Victoria from the original owner, a 99 yr old preacher man. It was his wife's who had passed a couple years back.
    Police interceptor engine. 88,000 miles.
    Everybody here likes it just fine!

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

legalsuit and DavidGP like this.
  5. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Lingenfelter Corvette C7

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  6. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Mercedes SL 63 Roadster Drive Away Price starting from $394,212.73

[​IMG]

But would purchase this little baby only after I had attended to a few other matters that would take precedence over such a decadent indulgence ;)

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

8. DavidGP

9. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

DavidGP likes this.
  10. DavidGP

funny you should say that as I would keep the Abarth 595 I have now as a run around shopping mode of transport https://www.abarthcars.co.uk/abarth-595-competizione

I have a blue 595 small but has enough space for food and wine/beers as the McLaren boot or Frunk! has not much space, may get a few veg in it but bugger all else.

legalsuit and Eldon like this.
  11. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

12. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Nice car...never seen one like it...don't believe we have them Down Under (Joffa - what do you reckon? You know cars here.)

As for boot space...you've enough for food, wine/beers - that's party talk, so you should be OK upload_2017-11-12_12-41-22.png

13. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

The Millennium Falcon.

Duh.

14. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Hey ls, Abarths are available here but not very popular..... there still seems to be a stigma attached to Fiats and Alfa Romeos regarding service and reliability and Abarth to Fiat are like AMG to Mercedes. These and several other European car brands have had a bad reputation when it comes to service and reliability as in the early days the importers cut many corners to save money and they didn't support the dealers by having commonly needed spare parts in stock so service became a nightmare. Several friends in the car club had Fiat 124 sports and Alfa Romeo 2000 GTs (one had an Alpina) and they always said that when they were going they were great cars to drive but don't depend on them for your daily driver because they will let you down one week in three....:rolleyes:
    A 1980s saying was if your blinker switch is on the wrong side of the steering column then you are driving an unreliable car.......... this meant most European cars and this saying was created by Ford and Holden dealers and owners.
    I don't worry as our current car is a Volvo V50 T5 AWD with blinker switch on the wrong side but (touching wood) it has been a very good car so far and has good performance as it has their most powerful 5 cylinder turbo motor ;) :cool:
    [​IMG]

If money was no object then I would like to have something like this to travel around Australia in comfort and still have a sports car
    [​IMG]

legalsuit and Eldon like this.
  15. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Your Volvo - very nice.

But I gotta love the above, no doubt about it Joffa, you're smart and quite a character... ingenious to have such a nifty sports tucked away as a "run around".
    upload_2017-11-12_18-21-2.png

What do you reckon David? That's quite a run-around "other car"!:D

16. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

upload_2017-11-12_18-22-58.png
    Had to Google to know what you were talking about:p

17. joffa

Yep I am very practical ;)
    Probably comes from my Research & Development Electronic Engineering background :)

BTW if you wanted a Ferrari instead of AMG Mercedes try this.... I would like either but the Merc is probably a lot cheaper to maintain but money is no object........right ;)
    [​IMG]

legalsuit likes this.
  18. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Yeah, that is reaaaallllly nice...but I still like the Merc...more me. Trouble is, I have "Champagne Taste with Beer Pocket Money"
    upload_2017-11-12_20-22-22.png
    Presently I'm still doing renos...ongoing projects around the house...except for electricals and that sort of stuff , I do everything else myself...always been very DIY and enjoy the challenge and independence of getting things done, so money is objective. Any case, for now I'm happy with my Toyota Camry...never have a problem, well serviced, got the power and speed I like so suits me fine for now.;)

19. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

My brother had one. It caught on fire and burned.

Replicator likes this.
  20. joffa

Crikey I hope it was insured.....over here they don't like our hot weather and many European cars overheat and it becomes worse when you turn on the a/c especially in stop start traffic or on the freeway at cruising speed. You would see them in the emergency stopping lanes with their bonnets up and steam pouring out or getting hooked up to a tow truck and taken back to the mechanic for repairs.
    Over here we have had a few Jeep Cherokees catch fire. Usually it's caused by having the a/c on and towing a caravan in the middle of summer and the Jeep's exhaust pipe got too hot and set fire to the fuel lines or something similar. I think Jeep replaced these vehicles and had a recall to change some fittings on the fuel lines and fit a heat shield to the exhaust manifold.

21. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

I'll verify that. Many a time on hot days I've cruised by with music piping, a/c keeping me cool, doing over 110km and seen lovely looking European cars on roadside with emergency hazard lights flashing.:p

22. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Thats why we love a V8 Chev, especially when its tickled....you cant beat the beat, its just too cool! o_O

California Girls :p
    After you get the Merc serviced, im guessing it wont be your shout at the bar?

The open cheque is spent, now you gotta pay for the deeds :p

23. joffa

Over here when you buy a Merc you get the first 3 years of services for free so my shout;)

One of my friends has three very nice AMG Mercs:-
    one is an AMG S 65 coupe (weekend drive)
    another is an AMG GLS 63 4MATIC SUV (daily drive)
    and his wife has an AMG C 63 sedan and when the free service runs out his company buys new ones :cool:

24. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Ahh, thats why they love the side of the road!

25. joffa

Hehehehe the main problems in hot weather are the Italian and French vehicles. Most of the German vehicles are good except Opel. Vauxhall and many English makes have problems too. Many years ago I used to have several Range Rovers and they go really well when it is cold and wet but give them a 40ºC day and try and have the a/c on and watch the engine temp climb. I fixed the Range Rover problem by putting in a much bigger high efficiency radiator with three electric fans as well as an extra transmission cooler and problem solved. If Range Rover were smart they would fit the bigger radiators to increase reliability and absorb the cost by offsetting money saved from no longer having cooked motor warranty claims.

For the last 12 years we have had several turbo Volvo wagons and they have no problems on hot or cold days and if you get the biggest motor option then they go quite well.

26. Anon-469e6fb48c

This is why i drive a car that can handle snow,rain and just about any type of weather.Does not over heat or even gets hot at 90 mph.I have had this car for two years and only changed the oil 3 times.I have high oil mileage and high gas mileage.

All though i will probably need new breaks next year.I had the same breaks on it since i bought the car.Only changed two things tires and the Thermostat be cause it got stuck open or closed i don't know which.But ever since then it ran perfectly fine no issues.

Replicator likes this.
  27. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

DavidGP likes this.
  28. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Aston Martin (wouldn't mind that house as well :D):
    [​IMG]

29. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Awesome......bourbon n coke thanks!
    Make it Wild Turkey:cool:

30. joffa

Sorry no Wild Turkey but I do have some Jim Beam Small Batch and some Jack Daniels Single Barrel and some Jim Beam Double Oaked in a presentation box....... I did have some Wild Turkey Rare Breed but now I only have an empty bottle.....:rolleyes:

You may wonder why I have lots of top shelf bourbon (and other spirits) well here is a tip. When friends bring their PCs, laptops and tablets over to be fixed, I don't charge them any $$$ but instead minimum swap is a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label and if there was a lot of work to fix their PC then they buy me better top shelf booze. Why do I do it? I don't like to make money off friends and when they bring some booze we each have a drink or two. If I didn't have some cost for my work then several of my friends would be over all the time with little problems that they should deal with themselves..... the system works for me :D

Replicator likes this.
  31. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Drrrooool......Jim Beam double oaked.

Love your work Joff ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    joffa likes this.
  32. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

If I had a blank check............

I'd buy the Jim Beam delivery truck!

33. joffa

Hehehe....now you're talking......great idea :cool:

Imandy Mann likes this.
  34. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

35. DavidGP

True on stigma on FIAT and ALFA around the world but in past 5yrs or more they have picked up their game alot, the 500s and Abarths are really good, the Alfa Stelvio 510BHP and Giulia Quadrifoglio are epic
    https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/models/giulia-quadrifoglio https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/alfa-romeo-stelvio-quadrifoglio a 4x4 SUV with 505BHP!

36. joffa

@DavidGP The Stelvio reminds me of the Lancia Delta S4 Group B rally car

and some nice engine noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTH4EysaCuo

romantically I always liked the Lancia Stratos but they had much less power
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2OlsCu1tfc
    enjoy :)

DavidGP likes this.
  37. joffa

@DavidGP I remembered this back to back Stratos and Delta video and it is well worth the watch.......the third car is only rear wheel drive :eek:

DavidGP likes this.
  38. DavidGP

The Stratos was a NUTS car but then only the Italians do these well, bonkers cars and useless for daily driving but a hoot to drive.
    I'm seriously thinking of the Stelvio Quadrifoglio as a daily, love the Abarth 595 and will keep as its grins per mile, but limited for shopping storage in boot, may get 4 cases of vino in at best :)o_O

joffa likes this.
  39. joffa

Hmmm... the Stelvio definitely sounds like an exciting package and if they are more reliable than its predecessors then it would be great and everyone knows that Alfas are extremely agile in the handling department... here is one breaking the lap record at Nurburgring enjoy

DavidGP likes this.
  40. DavidGP

Yeah from some accounts of reviewers the latest Alfas from the 4C upwards so Guilia and Stelvio are very reliable and quick as hell! In the Stelvio a 4x4 thats Porsche speed?!

41. joffa

OK Dave its decided....bench the Abarth and grab a new Stelvio and then after it is run in maybe you could take a holiday in Germany (in Summer) and give us a report on your hot laps of the Nurburgring........ you can pay to do hot laps ;)
    That I would like to see :D:D:cool::cool:

42. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

I would buy an inexpensive beater and pocket the rest.

43. Anon-469e6fb48c

If any car i would want this car.

Nothing else.

DOA likes this.
  44. Eldon

Ok. I have changed my mind... :rolleyes:

I'll get this...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GTO
    Again, I would put it up for sale the next day and then relax for a week deciding what I would buy... :p

45. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Rolls Royce (owned now by BMW) claim the new Phantom as 'the best car in the world'
    At a cool 1M, it would wanna come close :cool:
    [​IMG]

Not overly keen on the 'Liberace' interior coloring myself, but it does have 2 bar cabinets, a V12 with 900nM of torque and air bag suspension making millions of calculations per second to ensure the optimum “Magic Carpet Ride”!

http://theupsider.com.au/rolls-royc...utm_campaign=Oct 2017 - Traffic&utm_medium=cm

:)

46. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I am saddened there is no one here into electrics.
    Gimme the Tesla Model S P100D for daily use and a Nio EP9 for the "need for speed". Where I live electric cars are well supported so the fossil fueled cars are retiring like the dinosaur era fuel that powers them.

47. Anon-469e6fb48c

Electric cars are can be unreliable.

I have had two cars previously that has lasted me both of them 10 years plus.

If you buy an all electric vehicle.Some thing will fail probably with in a year.Most of them can only go for 124 miles between recharges.That's not very far indeed,But imagine what your electric bill would be as well.If you got a good paying job that's one thing but other folk's can't afford it.

48. joffa

Until you can pull into a recharge station and drive out again fully charged in 5 minutes or less then electric cars will always be crap. Why plan your life and trip schedule around recharging your car.....incredible!!!!
    Yes some of them can go fast but these are not practical as if you actually use the power then you get piss poor mileage. With transport people want convenience and filling a tank with petrol in a couple of minutes at a filling station is pretty quick and easy and usually no waiting.
    DOA you are welcome to your views on electric cars and if you want to go to the trouble of not forgetting to fully recharge the day before you want to go on a big trip then organising a full charge at your destination to come home again (providing you have enough time in your schedule) then good for you but for me the simplicity of refueling petrol powered cars whenever and wherever I like is key.
    Battery technology is slowly going towards massive capacitors that may be charged very quickly but the main hurdle here is the enormous charging current required to effect a full charge in a short time and most recharging stations would have to seriously upgrade their power connection to the grid placing extra strain on the electrical supply network and in some country towns the power needed may never be available. The real problem is petrol stores so much energy in a small amount of space and it is a simple well understood chemical/exothermic reaction that has been in development for 100 years. I am sure in time the problem of storing enough charge quickly will be overcome by the electric vehicle manufacturers but then they will have to solve the emerging problem of all the toxic chemicals they use in the batteries (lead, lithium, cadmium, nickel metal hydride, numerous toxic electrolytes etc) because when you multiply these batteries by the 10s of millions of vehicles required then this is building to be our next major environmental pollution problem. Currently the most toxic rechargeable batteries are lithium ion (Li-ion), lithium polymer (Li-PO), nickel cadmium (NiCad), nickel metal hydride (NiMH) and lead acid.

Here is a link on the toxic effects of different battery technologies
    https://www.researchgate.net/profil...es-and-their-impact-on-Environment-and-Humans

Imandy Mann and Eldon like this.
  49. Eldon

DOA likes this.
  50. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

How about looking this up? I have 18K miles and almost a year on mine. ZERO maintenance, none, nada. No oil changes, no belts, nothing. This is typical of modern electrics. Electrics are all about million mile maintenance free drive trains which is why ICE companies fear them. Converting my home electricity pricing to gas pricing yields 98 MPG equivalent for the year which is actually zero dollars as I have solar panels. And I seldom travel under 80 MPH. I get 275+ mi and per evening charge and never forget to plug in because the plug is next to where I park the car. Like rolling up the windows and locking, it's part of parking. How many days a year do you travel over 275 miles? Would you like to have all the money and time you spend in gas stations back?

Joffa - batteries are almost 100% recycled. They are highly toxic, but should never get into the environment.
    Charging is a change, for some all change is bad, I get that. For us it has been great. We now naturally plan our places to see, eat and sleep so we multitask charging, so far there is always a charger where we want to go. Taking Wifey's Camry and having to stop for gas seems like such a waste of time and money, but we take it when we have to park in "not so nice" places.

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds