Dell Laptop Starting Widows Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HellRaiser, Dec 4, 2017.

1. HellRaiser

HellRaiser Private E-2

Hi I have a 2 year old dell Inspiron 7000 series, and when I start up laptop sometimes it boots right up and goes into windows 10, other times it only shows blank screen and when I hit any button it flashes vertical lines a few colored ones, ill have to power off from side button and restart, very sporadic, it also does same thing when I have windows and put the laptop to sleep doesn't come back to windows every time from sleep.

now I reset cmos, removed memory and re installed, took battery out and held power button on for 30 seconds,
    also doesn't matter if power cord is in or out, and also hooked laptop up to tv and same result there, thanks everyone

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sounds to me like a graphics chip/driver issue.The vertical coloured lines could be the screen cable being frayed inside the sheath- Try moving the screen /lid a little to see if that makes it worse,or, better.
    The fact that you say it is the same on the laptop screen, and tv means it is most likely the graphics chip.
    At this stage, if I am right, I suggest you turn it on and let it get warm, then, whilst it is still running, wrap the whole thing in a large thick bath towel/sheet,and leave it like that for good hour- I never leave them unsupervised whilst doing this, although I have not had a problem.
    Then turn it off, unwrap the towel, and let the laptop cool down for a similar time- 1 to 2 hours.
    When cold try starting the laptop, and if you are lucky,the solder will have re-bedded the graphics chip.

Good luck

3. HellRaiser

HellRaiser Private E-2

Ok I tried that and still the same, thank you

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I'd say either graphics card or screen going bad.

5. HellRaiser

HellRaiser Private E-2

Thank You

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know if the laptop is still under warranty but, if it is, I'd contact Dell to get it repaired or replaced.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds