New Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by TimW, Dec 4, 2017.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yeah yeah ....it's a flip phone. Seems to be an android base. Apparently I can download stuff. Any suggestions? Free of course!!

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What model? I've got a friend whose wife wants him to upgrade but he likes flip phones.

3. TimW

It is a ZTE Z233VL .... Got it from Straight Talk.

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

They've had several models on the web site, free with a data card. Some could be bought with a minimum plan. Saw some hotspots also with a small data plan available.

5. TimW

Got suggestion for apps?

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have less than a handfull because of the many pre-installed apps on my phone.

MyPhoneExplorer - Everything on my phone is saved to my PC.
    WhatsApp.

Have a look at these...
    Waze. (Driving instructions)
    VirusTotal.
    CCleaner.
    EssentialPIM.
    Dub Music Player.
    CM Flashlight.

I download from APK4Fun.
    https://www.apk4fun.com/app/apps/

TimW likes this.
  7. TimW

Ok, Eldon. Downloaded MyPhoneExplorer .... waiting on the bluetooth dongle to be shipped. I see MG's has Waze. Now I have to figure out how to download stuff to the phone. LOL

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. TimW

Why yes it does! Humm.....

10. TimW

So i canceled my bluetooth dongle order. MyPhoneExplorer doesn't work. But I can view everything on the computer with the charging cable!! Sweet.

11. TimW

Ok, this is driving me crazy. If I go to google play, it ask for a password. I can enter the characters but not the numbers. If I go to MG's, there is only a list of files and no search. Can't zoom out.

12. TimW

Changed my password to all characters...got an email from google saying my phone is now synced, but if I try to download an app, it says no phone associated with this account.

13. Eldon

MyPhoneExplorer does work. You can connect via USB cable, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. You have to install the client on your phone. You'll find it in Program Files > MyPhoneExplorer - mpeclient.apk.

MyPhoneExplorer.jpg

I always download files to my PC and then copy them to the phone.

Check your phone's settings. Under Security you'll have the option to show passwords.

You'll have to speak to MG's Administrators... brian-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

14. TimW

I don't have a "settings/applications" on the phone. Sigh.

15. Eldon

Settings > Security.

16. TimW

Nope...only have screen lock and sim card lock.

17. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Nice keep it.My stright talk phone had zero signal drops for over two years.

18. Anon-469e6fb48c

19. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

https://www.zteusa.com/cymbalc#

I don't believe it's Android based.

20. Eldon

21. TimW

In the properties of the phone it says zdroid.

22. TimW

kernel base 3.10.49-gdac61f-00512-ge30ff04zte-kernel@zdroid-smt

23. TimW

24. TimW

That's not my phone.

25. Eldon

Yes it is.
    Screenshot-2017-12-6 ZTE Cymbal-C LTE - ZTE USA.png

26. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

27. TimW

No touch screen.

28. TimW

After a long chat with tracfone...I was told it is not an android phone. They didn't know what the OS is so I contacted ZTE and asked what the OS is...waiting on a reply. Sigh... Guess that is why google play doesn't recognize it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  29. Anon-469e6fb48c

Hmm that's odd.

Are there any settings in the phone.There should be a gear looking icon.That would be the settings.

30. TimW

Yes Wile ... there are settings. but no "Account" under settings.

31. Eldon

32. plodr

If you view everything through the charging cable, I assume through Windows Explorer, you should be able to move files between the computer and the phone.

I have not installed a file explorer on any of my 3 android devices. Since I'm not sure exactly how your OS works, what I say might not work on your phone.

If the phone has a camera, take a picture. Attach the phone to the computer and look for a folder DCIM. Open it and you have a folder inside that says Camera. Open it and the picture you took should be inside.

See if you can use Windows Explorer to either copy or move the picture from the phone to the computer.

If that works, we'll try an mp3 file next. :D

33. plodr

What icons do you see when you turn the phone on? If you have a digital camera, take a picture of the screen so we can see what you see.

I assume googleplay is not on the phone so that's why no phone is associated with your account.

Obviously the site I found yesterday that has a manual might not be correct for your phone.

What browser is on the phone?

You can't zoom out if the phone doesn't have a touchscreen.

http://tracfone.devicebits.com/straighttalk/home.seam?custId=STZEZ233VL&locale=en_US

I downloaded the User Guide.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  34. TimW

According to ZTE, it is not an android phone and I can't download apps to it. It has a Google OS.

35. plodr

Yes, I looked through the manual and I see the icons are for things on the phone.
    ZTE.jpg
    And the browser is just called Browser.

Basically it is for making calls, possibly texting, though it is a pain without a touchscreen, listing to music, and taking pictures. Browsing is not high up there.

36. TimW

I am returning the phone and getting a smart phone!

37. TimW

Question, while at home, is it better to use WiFi? Although it will be an unlimited plan.

38. plodr

I use wifi at home because I have 5 GB of data for $35/month and it seems faster to me. When I'm out, I use data because it is more secure than wifi. I never come close to my 5GB (I actually get unlimited but the speed will slow down).
    I bought it because my router died and I could only plug 1 computer to the modem. I let my husband use his netbook. Now, if that happens, I can surf on my phone using data. Or if we have no power for over 3 hours, I can the phone. (Our netbooks will work using the UPS and on battery power for about 3 hours).

Smart move! :DHaving android and google play is worth it if you want to do decent browsing awaying from home.

TimW likes this.
  39. TimW

My wife has "lost" our previous phone numerous times, so I mainly interested in FindMyDroid and Waze. Hoping I am not "too old" to figure out a smart phone. :)

40. TimW

Got the smart phone today .. activated ...set it up and downloaded GindMyDroid and Waze. All set!! yepee!!

41. Eldon

What did you get?

42. TimW

LG Treasure

Eldon likes this.
  43. Eldon

Nice!
    I have an LG Leon with similar specs.
    I'm due for an upgrade in 6 months.

44. TimW

It might be "cheap" but it seems to do all I need.

45. Eldon

I agree.
    With Android Lollipop most apps can be used.

46. TimW

I put FindMyDroid on it and when I log into google accounts..there is a Find My Phone button which does the same thing. So I uninstall it.

47. TimW

I mistakenly hid a widget and now I can't get it back! Darn

48. Eldon

49. TimW

Yeah ....I did that and it will only let me hide. I went to play store and downloaded the widget. All is fine now. :)

50. plodr

I doubt it. I'm 70 and got my first smartphone in March. Of course I went to BestBuy and asked the Samsung techs questions too.

I keep a 4" x 6" note card with things I've learned so I don't have to keep trying to figure out the same thing over and over. When I read articles, I try to do it on the phone (sometimes the menus are different). Once I figure it out, I write down the things I have to tap to get to what I want.

I also put ESET (free) and Malwarebytes (free) on the phone. It has something called Lookout Security which I allow but I wanted to put the same two av and malware detector programs that I have on my tablets.

TimW likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds