Windows 10 Pc Issue On Boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by CG., Dec 5, 2017.

1. CG.

CG. Private E-2

I've tried all I could think of and research. My main PC when it boots up now it takes forever to do anything. Like opening the browser or an app. This has been going on for over a week. I get the circle mouse icon non stop and just seems like explorer is possessed.

I've scanned for viruses, done clean boot, I've reverted back a few versions. Updated windows again.

I'm trying not to reset as I'd have to reinstall all my apps again so leaving that as last resort. I've also done command prompt for scan disk, and restore health.

In Safe mode PC works better.

I've also installed Windows 10 again with the Windows Media Tool. And installed with leaving my apps installed. That didn't help

If I turn PC on and wait about
    15 minutes I can use PC but if I install an app takes forever to be able to use.

Anything you can't think of or suggest before I reset.

It's a fairly new PC about 2 years old, It has plenty of Ran and 1TB HDD.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

CG. likes this.
  3. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I would recommend on trying to run command prompt in administrator mode.

To run chkdsk / R.

Your hard drive or ssd might have errors on it.

CG. likes this.
  4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It could be a drivers issue. Many ppl have had driver problems with the Win 10 version upgrades. Try Driver Booster - it's good.

CG. likes this.
  5. CG.

CG. Private E-2

Sorry for the late response as it takes me forever to be able to get on the PC

1) HDD is only about 10% full
    2) How do I check with HDD manufacture it is, I did right click on C drive, but doesn't say
    3) I have done a CHKDSK and it found no errors, I also did a scan in the C Drive properties and says there are no errors.
    4) I have already installed Driver Booster last week, it did find a few outdated drivers, but still made no difference.

If I let the PC sit for about 30 minutes after boot, I can use the PC to surf and other stuff, but once I try doing anything like open a PDF or something in explorer it takes forever and I have to wait and wait.

I will try the Seagate tool anyways to see. Keep the suggestions coming, as I really don't want to get another PC, but I will if I have too.

I may simply get a Laptop as I've had much more success with Laptops rather then Desktops

I also may look into from Cost as for a Laptop, https://www.costco.com/.product.100376948.html?EMID=B2C_2017_1204_HP_Touchscreen_Laptop

Or I may also get this, 23" Touchscreen self contained unit, https://www.costco.com/.product.100376929.html?EMID=B2C_2017_1204_HP_Touchscreen_Laptop

If you have any input on the above 2 items it would be greatly appreciated, of course this is only if I can't resolve my issue.

6. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Could be software bloat running at start-up and in the background.

Right click on the start menu and choose Task Manager. When it opens click on 'more details' down the bottom and this should give you all background processes and the resources that they are currently using.

Disable what you dont need to run at startup!

CG. likes this.
  7. CG.

CG. Private E-2

OK, here is a pic of the quick scan, with this being said I still have no clue which is my hardrive installed on the PC, and the one that failed might not be the one installed, could be either my Seagate external drive or my muse USB Seagate Test Pic.jpg

8. CG.

CG. Private E-2

Thanks, I had already done this to no avail.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Click on properties, hardware. It should tell you the HDD model.

CG. likes this.
  10. Earthling

Why is that failed SATA drive still installed? Most likely it's that that is causing your problems. Remove it.

NAH - hold off on that. Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? It's on the right click Start menu.

CG. likes this.
  11. CG.

CG. Private E-2

Here you go, see pic below

Disk Management.jpg

And here is the C Drive Properties.

C Drive Properties.jpg

12. CG.

CG. Private E-2

FTR my external drive is also a Seagate.

13. Anon-469e6fb48c

Ok lets clear up some space.

In your start menu.In the search bar type %temp% There will be a secondary page that will pop up called temp.This folder needs to be cleaned out once a month.I do mine every week because i use mine a lot.

While you are in the folder.Press CTRL +A at the same time this will high light all the data and folders that is in that folder.I would Right click on one icon and go to delete.This will move all the items to the Recycling Bin.You will have to empty the Recycling Bin after you do this.And restart the system.So it clears out some of them caches.

CG. likes this.
  14. Anon-469e6fb48c

Than after that we will endeavor to clean up more stuff.

CG. likes this.
  15. Anon-469e6fb48c

Clearing Memory Cache

Make a Shortcut. You have probably noticed that the longer your computer or laptop runs, it gradually slows down due to idle processes. This may eventually force you to restart the computer. You can create a shortcut on your desktop to free up unused RAM and speed up your computer without the need of restarting. You can run this shortcut any time your computer starts to slow down.
    • Right-click anywhere on the desktop and select New → Shortcut.

Type in the location. A window will appear asking you to locate the shortcut you have created. You will need to know if your copy of Windows is . 32-bit or 64-bit Copy and paste one of the following lines depending on your version and then click Next:
    • 32-bit: %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    • For 64bit, type in: %windir%\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    Make sure you name it RamClean.This way you know what it is.

When you have created the Ramclean double click on the item and it should run though it's process.

After that we will work on others.

CG. likes this.
  16. Anon-469e6fb48c

Well will be checking all your windows files next.

In start menu.

Go to start menu and in the search bar type cmd for command prompt.Right click on command prompt and highlight and click on admin administrator rights.While we are in command prompt type SFC /Scannow.Let it run through it's processes.It will take probably up to 10 minutes to an hour.It could be an hour since your hard drive is full.

When it is completed let us know if there are any errors.We may have to do this a couple more times.

CG. likes this.
  17. Anon-469e6fb48c

Let us know if it's running any better.

We may have to defrag it after these scans.

CG. likes this.
  18. Anon-469e6fb48c

I normally start to worry about hard drive space when i am close to 30% left on hard drive space.Once you go beyond that point it's time to start clearing out programs you are no longer using.And clearing your Temp folders.

CG. likes this.
  19. CG.

CG. Private E-2

Won't allow to delete some files because they are in use.

Files.jpg

20. Anon-469e6fb48c

Yes you will get that.Select the do this for all current items.

And try again.

You might have to do this in safe mode.

CG. likes this.
  21. TimW

22. Anon-469e6fb48c

CG. likes this.
  23. Anon-469e6fb48c

The reason why i had them clearing it out this way because there drive is 100%. This is much easier to do it this way because how full the hard drive is.And probably will not allow them to install any third party software.Until some of the space is released.

CG. likes this.
  24. TimW

The OS (C) has 91% free.

CG., Earthling and dr.moriarty like this.
  25. Anon-469e6fb48c

Ah your correct i was looking at the wrong image.

But still these processes still need to be run every so often.

CG. likes this.
  26. CG.

CG. Private E-2

Not sure the shortcut I did is correct, my system is a 64Bit and did as per your instructions, here is what the shortcut looks like and hen I click on it, I really don't see anything happening, so not sure I did it right

Ram Clean up.jpg

27. CG.

CG. Private E-2

I did clean up the temp files except for those that won't delete because they are in use.

I have to run out, in the meantime I'll do a disc frag and check back in when I get back

28. Anon-469e6fb48c

Yes

CG. likes this.
  29. Earthling

Thanks for the screenshot being legible, often they are not ;) It all looks fine to me - loads of space, everything healthy. Tedious as it can be I would have a trawl through the Event Viewer, available on the right click start menu.

CG. likes this.
  30. CG.

CG. Private E-2

OK, leaving the PC on seems to make it more manageable.

So you all understand, here is what happens as an example, other then the boot time I mentioned, and the issue seems to be something with Explorer. If I go to open a PDF file, takes like 5 minutes to open, if I install a program it takes 10 to 15 minutes to install, if I'm on a browser and Firefox says not responding, that take 2 to 5 minutes, sometimes moving files to a different folders takes minutes, that is it in a nut shell.

Like now if I reboot the PC, it'll take 10 minutes before I can use the PC, and hardly anything is enable at start up, I don't even have an AV installed at the moment as I thought that was causing the issue.

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried starting up without external Seagate backup drive connected ?- It could be looking at that on startup, making it slow to start, as that drive is marked active.

CG. and Earthling like this.
  32. CG.

CG. Private E-2

Let me try now and I'll let you know, but would that also solve the issues of other issues as opening PDF's etc.. Opening pictures, Firefox not responding etc..

Here is a picture of now when I went o right click on a photo to open with and not shows to open with and you get the blue non responsive wheel.

Non Responsive.jpg

33. CG.

CG. Private E-2

OK rebooted with USB drive disconnected and same result, took 10 minutes to me able to do anything, non responsive.

34. Earthling

You seem to have several, seemingly unrelated problems. What malware checks have you carried out?

CG. likes this.
  35. CG.

CG. Private E-2

I've done Eset Online scanner, Malawarebytes, Avast etc...

36. Earthling

OK. You say you have done virus checks and reverted to earlier versions etc but that would not eradicate any serious infection. You have to perform a clean install for that. As none of us has been able to help I recommend you visit the MG Malware forum where an expert can establish whether you are or are not infected and eradicate any found. It is necessary to go through the Read and Run Me first sticky in order to be assisted.

CG. likes this.
  37. Anon-469e6fb48c

Normal boot times with an hard drive / platter drive are between 45 seconds and 1 minute and 15.This will very depending on what processes are loading at the time.And it depends on your start up list.

Let's check and see what is on the start up list.

In the start menu type msconfig in the search bar.Now a secondary page will pop up.You will have 5 options tabs General,Boot,Services,Startup,Tools.

Click on the tab startup.Try and use sniping tool to show us what start up items are listed.

It will look like this below.

Attached Files:

CG. likes this.
  38. CG.

CG. Private E-2

I want to first off say thank you to all those of you that are helping, it is greatly appreciated.

I will do the scan tomorrow from the above post.

Here is a screen shot of my start up, I have almost all disable by design.

Start Up 1.jpg Start Up 2.jpg

39. Anon-469e6fb48c

How much of that stuff do you use.

CG. likes this.
  40. CG.

CG. Private E-2

I only use mainly the 2 items that are enabled, that is why I have all the others disabled.

Also the boot time is not really the issue, it is the PC not being able to use it while it's stuck and frozen. Sometimes it's take 5 to 10 minutes once frozen to be able to proceed

I also posted in the Malaware thread with the log findings, I'll posted it here as a reference, https://forums.majorgeeks.com/threads/scan-done-see-attached.317699/

41. CG.

CG. Private E-2

OK, another update, I did do a reboot after running the first scan and on first reboot, it wouldn't boot it actually rebooted again, this has happened a few times in the past week also. Tomorrow I'll follow the scan thread for malware and eliminate that too.

See image on the reboot what it did.

IMG_20171207_211239.jpg

Attached Files:

42. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need to remove the software you don't use.
    In Task Manager, have you clicked on Services to see what's running?
    Also click Processes to see what's using the most RAM & CPU.

43. CG.

CG. Private E-2

Yes I have and there is a lot, but the CPU usage goes anywhere from 10% to 30% as for Ram is running at about 39% I can post a screen shot, but there is a lot in there.

44. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Have you considered a SSD drive?
    s.

CG. likes this.
  45. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Leave the external Seagate drive disconnected.
    Have you tried disconnecting the Hitachi hard drive (Just unplug it's connectors at the hard drive to test)
    Disconnect the Brother usb device (Printer ?)
    This will just leave your C: drive, and DVD .
    Ram......... You may have plenty (4/ 8/16 gb ?) but,i f you have a dodgy connection/ iffy stickof ram,it can be a cause,too.
    Try removing, and cleaning ram sticks, and slots, and replacing - This often clears some problems - REMEMBER TO REDUCE STATIC TRANSFERENCE- Wrist strap, or, touch a metal pipe to discharge yourself before handling

CG. likes this.
  46. CG.

CG. Private E-2

No can you explain what the reason and difference would be.

47. CG.

CG. Private E-2

For now I'm doing doing all the scans, and will report back once all done.

48. Stephen_c16

My thought was if you purchased a SSD drive you could swap drives. With a little amount of prep work you could clone the current drive onto an SSD. They are significantly quicker.
    I would probably do a reinstall onto the ssd drive afresh and by pass the problems. Use the current drive as a Slave.
    s.

CG. likes this.
  49. CG.

CG. Private E-2

I posted my scan logs in the malware thread.

I also just bought a AIO touchscreen HP unit with 12GB of memory and 1 TB of HDD. So if I can't this back up and running properly I'll have a backup ready to go, I've always wanted to test a AIO and see how it works out. It was on sale at Costco for $499.

50. Stephen_c16

I managed to get a Neighbour's laptop to run Windows 10 on a 32GB sata disk that I picked up for £10 on Fleabay. 128GB is probably enough if you link the other drive.
    Of course you will need to reduce the partition size of your disk before starting...
    Backup!
    s.

CG. likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds