Baby It's Cold Outside

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimW, Dec 28, 2017.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

17 degrees F. Pipe in well house frozen. No water. Forecast is not looking hopeful. Brrrrrr...........

2. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

That's no good Tim.....frozen pipes and no water ...
    Does this help......
    [​IMG]

I can send some sunshine and warmth........yesterday 39ºC and my big air conditioner was running until 2am this morning keeping the house at 21ºC as it was still quite hot and really humid and very hard to sleep :eek:

Currently it is 5:45am and the temp is already up to 22ºC with a forecast top of only 29ºC but with thunderstorms in the afternoon........nothing like hot steamy rain :(

To cheer you up, here is a pic of Brighton Beach with Victoria's capital, Melbourne in the background. This is one of the many beaches only minutes from Melbourne.
    [​IMG]

Eldon likes this.
  3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

High of 20F (-6C) here today for us. We aren't supposed to get above freezing until Jan 7. :(

DavidGP likes this.
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. TimW

Well, it's 1:30 pm and it's up to 34F. Water is now running and I sent the wife to get a heat lamp for the well house instead of the flood light we were using. Low tonight will be 22F and Sunday 14F.

LOL .... wife has one of those in the kitchen. :)

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

7. TimW

Brrrrrr.........oh, bad link, Oma.

8. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Wind chill has been near 0 here. The car heater took forever to heat up the car this morning. BURR!!

9. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

You need heat tape.

10. TimW

Too far to string an extension cord. Heat lamp is wired into the pressure switch. It's never frozen before. I'm saving the heat tape for the outhouse. :)

11. the mekanic

LOL!

Well, this Spring dig a nice 18" trench and lay in some conduit and 12/3 or 10/3 depending on the length of the run. Then you'll have power in the well house for some heat tape and perhaps a light bulb or two!

12. TimW

Well ...... that might be a problem. It's on the other side of our circular paved driveway. I'll start looking for wireless!! :)

13. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Nice! :cool:
    No need to pack the beer in the fridge... :D

14. oma

oma MajorGeek

True! Frozen beer eh?
    Some years back we had no power with XMas and had to put all the frozen stuff from the fridge outside. Even though we packed everything securely with foil in a box, we had to chase away the chipmonks quite often. Since we have also electric heating we were ever so cold even when tucked in blankets. Luckily it took only abt 1 1/2 days for the electricity to come back on in our area. Daughter insisted to come to their house but we then wouldn't know when the power would come back on. It was quite an experience.

15. TimW

Yep, that's why I installed a wood stove. At least we can cook on it and keep the living room warm.

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Geezz folks needed to look that up ° F in °C as when I read 17s and 18s thought thats bloody warm to us in UK.
    Been 46°F / 8°C here today so not bad been just frosty last few days with some hail.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
  17. Anon-9aee479f8f

Several years ago there was a ice storm here and the electricity was out at my house for 14 days with temps between 0 degree F and 3 degree F, wind chill was -10F. Only thing that kept us from freezing was a gas fireplace and 4 layers of clothes. Some family members were without electricity for almost 4 weeks. I hope to never to see a ice storm like that again.

18. plodr

The worst we had it was 8 1/2 days with no power. Since it was October 31st through early November, the temps were generally a bit below and above freezing.

We have gas logs in one of the fireplaces so we hung out there.
    We also had hot water so we could take hot showers. The other person heated the towel at the fireplace.

What did you do about your water pipes? I'd worry about them freezing and bursting.

19. Anon-9aee479f8f

We have a full basement so water pipes are there and we didn't have a problem with water freezing. We did keep a tiny stream of water running through pipes to one faucet at night just in case.

20. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Nothing but hot beach days at my end

I'd never survive in regions I'm reading here!

21. TimW

11 F this morning. High today of 24 F.

22. plodr

2°F or -17°C this morn but the wind chills make it feel colder.

I read this morning that only 10% of the US is currently above freezing.

Once it reaches 30° (-1° C) later this week, it will feel like a heatwave!

23. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Almost down to 45F. I guess I am not in the running here.

24. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

You think 17 Fahrenheit is cold geez.

We need to get you to be in a flash freezer for two years.At negative 20 for eight hours.Can you say frostbite on your ears and fingers.

25. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Sydney heading for a very hot weekend...next few days forecast temperatures creeping up to a very hot weekend (e.g. 25°C = 77°F, 37°C = 98.6°F):

upload_2018-1-3_20-51-24.png

26. joffa

Melbourne forecast for Saturday is 41°C which is 105.8°F..........I won't be going far from my A/C in the family room :eek: High fire risk for Central Victoria also :eek:

27. Anon-9aee479f8f

Here is a little USA weather history for you. February 10, 1899 is suppose to of been the coldest day in the USA.
    Tempetures were below −20°F in parts of the US that don't usually see temperatures near freezing.. Sadly people and livestock froze to death. :(
    On Febuary 11 the temperature was −61°F, in Montana. I'm not sure if they measured wind chill back in 1899. Let's just say Burrr! :eek:
    There were snowball fights in Florida, a very rare thing. Even Tampa FL had snow and Miami was 29°F. Parts of Virginia had 70 inches of snow and on top of the snow there was a small earthquake in the Appalachian mountains. Hard times!

This morning it was 8°F with wind chill of −10°F here, but hey the temp is up to 9°F and wind chill is only 0 °F now. So I am not complaining but I do no plan on going outside! ;) Thankful for electricity and heat to keep me warm!

28. plodr

It was -20° F/ -29° C (actual temperature) on January 21, 1994. My husband and I remember hearing parts of the house creaking and wondering if things would start breaking because they were so brittle from the cold.

Currently it is 9° F/-13° C (wind chills make it feel below zero). I keep telling myself it could be worse! I have no plans to leave the house.

29. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Ugghhhh! I would die in the sort of weather you guys and gals are noting.

Feel guilty posting I went to the beach today with friends for a picnic meal of Italian seasoned chicken, bottle of iced water, and a cold mix of sliced watermelon, mango and apple. Enjoyed the day in a beach tent with friends, taking the odd swim in the surf and enjoyed the nice, cool sea breeze that flowed through my tent. (Some tourists were wise enough to hire beach umbrellas - while the rest lazed in the sun relying on SPF sun screen for protection.) Didn't notice the heat as it was so cool with a sea breeze.

Hotter day tomorrow, so it's back to the surf with beach tent and a picnic lunch.

Replicator likes this.
  30. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Me too, i envy you guys.......had to put up with an esky full of iced beers today, watching the bikini's stroll past on the back beach!
    107.60 F today, geek tan goin well.
    Living downunder ain't all its made up to be! :cool:

31. the mekanic

9 F this morning, with an expected high of 15 degrees. Wind at 20 MPH out of the NW, and gusts up to 35 MPH can make it feel like -15 F. Expected low of zero tonight, record is -1 F.

Brutal...

32. Eldon

Almost 6PM. About 28°C. The beers are cold... :cool:
    Me a happy chappy... :p

33. Anon-9aee479f8f

We are having a heat wave :p it is above freezing today!:)

34. TimW

Us too!! I'm going out to get a tan. Currently 46F.

35. Eldon

Careful... the UFOs are looking for you! :D

36. TimW

I hope they are.....I need a vacation from Trump!!

37. joffa

You would put up with the anal probing all aliens supposedly do in order to get away from the POTUS..............amazing :eek:

Eldon likes this.
  38. TimW

You must be forgetting the "Be right back...got to poop" thread!! :)

Eldon likes this.
  39. joffa

ROFLMAO :D:D........now I see your nefarious plan.......clever killing two birds with one stone :rolleyes:

TimW likes this.
  40. Eldon

Those poor aliens... :eek:

41. joffa

Totally agree but........ the aliens bring it on themselves ;)

42. TimW

Hehe .... they better be wearing gas masks!! Had beans again with dinner> :)

43. joffa

I think they will be pretty safe with their glass helmets but don't be playing any Slim Whitman Indian Love Call music.................... you know what happens on Mars Attacks lolol :eek:

Ughhh...the green slime :oops:

44. Anon-9aee479f8f

We have a thin layer of ice with 3" of snow, it is 24°F but feels like 2°F. Things have shut down for the day.

45. TimW

Just dashed out to turn on the heat lamp in the well house. Brrr.....

46. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

We were at about 12 F about 2 or 3 days ago and we got up to 60 or so today. It was disgusting out. It rained all day and with the snow totally melting, it was gross and seemed unhealthy. I would have preferred it stayed at 32 or so.

47. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

6c today and its fairly nice out, overcast but ok, not raining is always a +

48. the mekanic

Thirty degree Fahrenheit drop in less than 24 hours.

Thanks "Big Oil"!!!!!!!!!

49. TimW

Crap...just got our energy bill....was @#200/month....now $634!!

50. Anon-9aee479f8f

Yikes!! Ours was $100 higher and I thought that was a big jump. Hate to think what next months bill will be. That is with electric furnace and using a gas fireplace also.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds