Move App To Sd Card

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by Ninefifty, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

I have a Chinese copy phone running Android 6.0.
    Older versions of Android used to tell me where my apps were kept.
    This one doesn't despite setting my phone to send all apps to my sd card my memory is almost full.

Questions:
    How do I find out what apps are kept where?

How do I transfer apps on my internal memory to my SD card?

What apps are there available to do the above two?

Cheers.
    16GB storage
    2GB memory

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

First let me say not all apps can be moved to an sd card. I moved a few that I could and then discovered that the icon for the app kept changing to a generic with sd near it. I didn't like that at all so I uninstalled and put the app back on the internal memory.
    1. Tap Apps.
    2. Select an app you want to move to the microSD card.
    3. Tap Storage.
    4. Tap Change if it's there. If you don't see the Change option, the app cannot be moved.
    5. Tap Move.
    6. Navigate to settings on your phone.
    7. Tap Storage.
    8. Select your SD card.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I'm surprised you're having app storage issues with 16GB. Anyway, I used Link2SD on an older phone with 4GB storage (1GB system). It requires root access and partitioning an SD card, so it may be a more involved than you care for.
    Homepage: http://www.link2sd.info/
    The tutorial I used: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2142844

4. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

Plodr, this means all my apps :(.

Just Playin, I am surprised too. It could be my media such as photo's and video's.
    Link2sd is too involving for my liking, you are right. I will look it up though and see if there is anything simpler on google play store.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Move your photos and videos to the SD Card.

6. plodr

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Marshmallow.

8. plodr

Thanks Eldon, I missed the Marshmallow in the first sentence. (In my defense, I had eye surgery on Tuesday. :confused: ) I can now read my desktop computer but the phone will be a challenge until I get the 2nd eye done and a new pair of reading glasses.

Before we move anything, open your camera app and click the gear icon (settings). Scroll down until you see storage location and long press it. A menu should appear that gives you 2 choices: device and sd card. Change from device to sd card. Now everything you take from this point on should be on the card automatically. (I set this up as soon as I got the phone in March 2017).

Moving photos and videos from The Gallery to an sd card in Marshmallow:
    1. Open My Files
    2. Tap on Images
    3. Long press the first one until a new column appears in the front with a check/tick in the box.
    4. At the top tap the box with all under it so all the photos now have a check/tick.
    5. Click the 3 dot menu at the top right and select move.
    6. Select sd card

Follow the same steps for videos except at step 2 above instead of tapping on Images, tap on Videos.

Eldon likes this.
  9. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

All of these names are making me hungry. ;)

10. plodr

I have no idea. I only own one android phone.

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Yes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds