New Kickstarter Campaign - Is This Item Legit Or What Are Issues?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by maglib, Jan 10, 2018.

1. maglib

maglib Private First Class

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What do you want to do .... invest?

3. TimW

4. maglib

I am not sure if what it does is true or not or just sounds good. Not my area of knowledge.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

It looks pretty legit to me. It does look like there are other similar products on the market (ie RATtrap), so the technology is definitely out there, although it seems to be somewhat new. As to whether you should just wait until it comes out and see what the reviews are like is up to you.

For $89, I may order one for our home. We have an Amazon Echo, 2 smart tvs and probably a number of other things.

6. TimW

I don't need one.....I got dogs!!

7. LauraR

lol...let me know how that works for you. I know my two would be useless.

I just got one of these, so we shall see. lol

8. TimW

You just got one? Did you have to neuter it?

9. LauraR

It ships in April.

I’ll let you know if it requires neutering.

TimW likes this.
  10. TimW

I guess the elves are a little backlogged?

11. maglib

I'd invest if I knew the owners.

12. maglib

There's a monthly fee that I just read about.... so maybe not as good as first thought?

13. maglib

oops not required to pay monthly fee. I'm becoming more and more wary reading about it though. Something attached prior to any firewall. Then again any knowing crook can attach a device where wiring comes into a home....

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have invested in 9 starter companies or ideas so far only been burned on 1 that was a 4k mini projector from a so called company out of china, now while I'm weary from companies or ideas from China now that will not stop me from investing in any if the feedback is good.

Latest one is Stojo a company in NYC who ahve reusable coffee or drinks cups that are collapsible and look a awesome idea and mine are currently on he way now but you can now start getting them on the companies website or amazon. https://stojo.co/ Jurrien Swarts one of the founders is really approachable and answers questions, which is what I want in a kickstarter type programme. Just as an example

As for the one you mention looks legit and good thing is the devs are answering comments really quickly. BUT all kickstarter or new ideas are a risk to invest in so only invest what you are willing to potentially loose, do not invest large sums unless willing to loose the lot as these new ideas are same as stock market.

15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Collapsible cups have been around since the 1950's. I remember seeing ones like this with a pill box in the lid when I was a child. In fact, I used to take a lunch to day camp and some of the kids packed those in the lunch bag.
    [​IMG]

16. DavidGP

Indeed they have but in the current climate of trying to recycle and use less COFFEE paper cups, the resurgence is quite apt, and a new take on the same will or "may" get folk to jump into using reusable. I just like crowdfunding some companies I think will benefit me or my life.

Next is https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/four-seasons-colorful-retro-mechanical-keyboard#/ as I just like the design and aesthetics as again I will use this in my life.

But you as I have said need to be willing to loose your investment as not all ideas come off, some may take longer past original deadlines, a few I have funded have gone on a 1yr longer than expected but they come through as snags will be hit in any idea.

17. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

This looks like a good idea, but of course the more popular something becomes, the more of a target it will become for exploits and being cracked. Akita looks like a good device, but if it becomes widespread (i.e. as much so as Amazon Echo or Google Home) it will probably become a major target for hacking and exploits, given the control it has over the access for other IoT devices scattered around the house. I think overall it is a good idea for most people as most people do not practice good network security, and anything can help at that point. To give a small example of how badly most home networks are secured, I have been able to crack the Wifi passwords of 6 of my neighbors, and out of those 6 neighbors, 4 had default username/passwords on their Wifi routers. This gives me access to do any kind of port forwarding, device blocking, or packet redirection that I want to do. Of course I did the right thing and promptly notified them, and all 6 neighbors started using more secure passwords.

DavidGP likes this.
  18. DavidGP

Speculant you have hit nail on head as home help devices IoT become more popular the brand leaders will be expensive, that then leaves folk up for buying cheaper clones, this then adds to a massive security issue as we may not have any Gov oversight into a no-name cheaper alternative device.

Wifi I agree most have default set as do they the SSID to their network, I always change mine and then change P/W to a PITA 26 alpha/num/special long one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds