Firefox Uses A Lot Of Memory After About 1 Hour

Discussion in 'Software' started by bleepbleepcomp, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bleepbleepcomp

bleepbleepcomp Private E-2

For a couple weeks now I've noticed Firefox seems to run slower after about an hour. I noticed its memory usage starts around 400Mb and jumps to around and over 2GB within an hour. I have 8GB of ram currently, and am usually using 35-45% without FF running. I'm not tab-happy; I usually have between 3-7 tabs open at most. I only have 4 add-ons. I do like to watch videos, and I'd say the more YouTube or Twitch I'm watching, the quicker this happens, but 2GB? I've tried turning on/off recommended settings/hardware acceleration. about: memory will reduce about 200Mb, but of course it continues to climb. The only real 'fix' seems to be restarting it regularly.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which versions of Windows and Firefox are you using?

3. bleepbleepcomp

Firefox 57.0.4 (64-bit)
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

4. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Have you tried using Task Manager to see what program or processes are using your resources? You can reach it by right clicking on the task bar or clicking alt, ctrl, and del.

5. bleepbleepcomp

Yes, and Resource Monitor, but FF use is by far the most excessive; the next process below it is svchost at just under 200kK.

6. nasreen stark

nasreen stark Private E-2

What problems are you seeing on your system when Firefox uses a lot of RAM - is the system freezing, are other programs not launching or working right?
    If you are not seeing those issues at the very same time as Fx Ram use, then you have no problem to rectify.
    As every technical guide will tell you, Ram is there to be used, not saved.

7. Eldon

To directly bring up Task Manager in Windows 7 you press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.

8. bleepbleepcomp

Just FF getting slow; tabs slower to switch over, tabs loading slowly when clicking a link, videos lagging/video images disappearing while sound continues to play at worst.

9. Eldon

10. bleepbleepcomp

11. Eldon

12. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

You can also try a firefox clone like Waterfox. I use it. It uses all of the addons and can still run the oold ones because it uses an earler version of firefox. That may solve the issue.

13. bleepbleepcomp

From IE? Didn't see them in FF. I did remove, but just noticed that the msi links come back (including the one not based on Taiwan).

I will try uninstalling if I have to. Just tried upgrading graphics card since some had said it improved things for them with FF 57 but so far it's still on the rise.

14. nasreen stark

Malware aside. I would want to see actual problem symptoms of high Ram usage. Some users just get worried when they see a program using a lot of Ram. That's what it's there for. To be used.

15. nasreen stark

If malware hadn't already been ruled out then that should be done now. And we still don't know of any symptoms.

16. bleepbleepcomp

Again, Just FF getting slow; tabs slower to switch over, tabs loading slowly when clicking a link, videos lagging/video images disappearing while sound continues to play at worst.

17. nasreen stark

You haven't replied to Eldon about the trusted zone entries or whether you have followed Eldon's suggestion for a clean uninstall of Firefox (backing up the profile data first) then doing a clean reinstall of Fx 57.0.4 from a new set up file.
    You should do the above and if you still have real and genuine slow issues post back.

18. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds