Win10 Pro Can’t Update Itself

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

Win10 Pro can’t update itself on my Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e 5042 A7U.

I suspect it’s because the Lenovo_Recovery partition on my hard drive is completely full.

The last time a recovery point had been set on this computer was before I inherited it and upgraded it from Win7 Pro. And after upgrading, I made a disk image, so I can always restore my computer from that if anything major went wrong. So there’s nothing in the Lenovo partition I need.

So I can just delete what’s in the Lenovo partition, right? And how should I do that?

BTW, the Windows partition is still named Windows7_OS for some reason. That’s not a problem, is it?

Also BTW, in addition to the system, Windows and Lenovo partitions, there’s also another small (450 MB), unnamed partition on the disk. THAT isn’t a problem, right?

Thanks for any help.

2. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Checking the specs pages for your computer it came in so many different possibilities for specs. We need to know how much RAM you have, the size of you hard drive, which processor you have etc. Please download and run Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard. This will help us see what you have. When you run it, click on File/Publish Snapshot/ then it'll give you an URL to paste here.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

What error messages are you getting, and what version of 10 is running at present? (type winver in search) The current version is 1709.

Also read THIS - you may want to go down that road if you aren't on the current version.

If you want answers about your partitions then post a legible screenshot of disk management. It's on the right click menu on Start. You can safely rename the Windows partition, just right click it in File Explorer.

4. Skullduggery's Dupe

Thanks so much. Here it is.
    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eAtty57uJLrORaJQWO7G7M3

I don’t have it in front of me right now, but it simply says something to the effect of “Can’t install updates. Undoing updates. Do not turn off your computer.” No error code is given.

I’m running Win10 Pro 64-bit Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540).

OK, I’ve saved that link to Favorites, and I’ll study it later when I have time.

OK, here it is.

disk management.jpg

5. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

I did notice a couple of things. You have both Windows Defender and Avast installed. If it isn't a paid version of Avast I'd recommend uninstalling it and using Window Defender. Also I see you're running 3 monitors. With your resources this could be putting quite a strain on the GPU. The GPU temps were slightly on the high side.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It is possible that you can return to Windows 7 with your recovery partition, if you upgraded your system,and did not do a clean, or, fresh install of Windows 10 , although generally after a certain time this was supposed not to be possible- but with an upgrade, I have found that the recovery partition can sometimes still work, as program the link is kept in the upgrade- So,if you want to return to W7, it might still be possible.(check in all programs-lenova)
    You have plenty of room on your hard rive, and system restore is usually on the C:Drive, not the Lenova recovery drive.
    Udate problem- possibility antivirus has not installed registry file needed.
    Disable your Avast antivirus, and try the install- see this link/explanation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892
    Reading Microsoft's page on that, it seems to be making problems, particularly with MD processors. I would be inclined to leave it without updating for a few weeks, then Microsoft may have sorted it
    Deleting a partition
    Go to disk management- Right click start button, as long as it is at the end of the hard drive , right click that partition - be careful, if you are not sure , then just format it first, and then you can extend the partition before it to include the now unallocated partition.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Skullduggery's Dupe

I have Avast Antivirus Pro. It IS the paid version, and I’ve been very happy with it (other than I suspect it disabled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium). Should I disable Windows Defender?

I like having 3 monitors, so much so that if that DID raise the temperature too much, I would just implement whatever was needed to lower the temperature. Would a more powerful fan be the solution?

Exactly how much above the ideal temperature WAS the CPU, anyway? Do you think it is enough to be a problem?

8. Skullduggery's Dupe

There were problems with my installation of Win7 (I inherited this computer), a couple of which persisted after upgrading to Win10, but through a lot of work, I got Win10 running just fine. But it wasn't quick or easy.

What you're suggesting sounds like a ton of work. Surely there is a better way to solve this problem, one which directly addresses its root cause.

This problem has already been going on for weeks.

Which partition are you suggesting I delete?

9. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

I'm going to ask that the hardware experts look at the SMART values on your Speccy. There were 2 Reported Uncorrectable errors and the Command Timeout value was very high. The uncorrectable errors I'mm not too concerned about but the other might indicate a HDD problem.

10. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Not related to an update problem...and it's supposed to be mostly full, because it's generally only just big enough to hold everything needed to restore the system back to factory spec.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/delete-recovery-partition.html

Correct - not a problem

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Deleting the Lenova_Recovery partition was the one I was talking about- But,I am concerned that there is also a 450mb partition before it, and I would say not to delete it, as yet,as it will not help your problem- Leave it be, as you have enough room on your C: drive.
    The recovery partition should be the last partition, but thr warning is because if you delete a partition before the last partition, it can make your system become unbootable.
    See Earthlings post *3 , and note Geek_Justin post *9, regarding the uncorrectable errors errors.
    I would suggest that you download Eldon's sfc module on majorgeeks, which will also put a fie on your desktop that you can upload for us to check.

Also, to run CHKDSK /R
    By right clicking start, click run and type in CHKDSK /R again,note the space between the K, and the /
    this tool might fix any bad spots on the hard drive, but you will have to accept to restart for itt to run, as it cannot run whilst files are in use.

12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Using DrMoriaty's suggestion of Partition Wizard can be easier for you, if you wish, as if you delete the last partition, you caan use Partition Wizard to actually slide the 450mb partition to the end, and then extend the C:partition in the unallocated space left- but do you want to mess with that?
    I don't feel it is something anyone should do, unless they feel confident enough.
    Sorry I missed out the link for the sfc/scannow utility from majorgeeks own member Eldon in post 11/
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfc_utility.html

13. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

The 450 MBs is just unallocated space. Not a problem.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It does show 100% free, but I always like to be careful- I would ask the user to check by actually right clicking the drive and viewing it.

15. Skullduggery's Dupe

Thanks, everybody, but it's now a moot point. I had a major disk crash. I couldn't repair it Windows, so I reset it (saving my data files), and reinstalled my apps. I'm having one minor problem with that, so I'll start a new thread about that. And I'll start another thread asking your opinions about running diagnostic software to determine the health of my hard drive. But I'll get another one right now regardless; you can always use a spare no matter what.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds