Help Fetch A More Space For C:

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr Saurabh Dua, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Mr Saurabh Dua

Mr Saurabh Dua Private E-2

2. Mr Saurabh Dua

I wonder...where has my entire description on the issue gone ??

3. Mr Saurabh Dua

Hello folks!

Please refer to the enclosed pictorial representation & help suggest on the method to add more space to my C: ?
    After an automatic installation of this latest Win 10 update, my C: has suddenly appear to 'almost' run out of space !?

This would be my very first attempt with the - Disk Management utility & therefore feeling unsure on this ?

Inputs will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. Mr Saurabh Dua

Please "update" in the relevant context?

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

6. Mr Saurabh Dua

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

8. Mr Saurabh Dua

Hello TimW !
    I must admit ! ...you are too scary !o_O
    Just wanna update that the screenshots link isn't working for this page.
    Plus, not impressed to see a single star rating for this one !
    Is there a 5-star option available as well?
    Thank you.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You have exactly 1 hard drive. It is divided into 4 partitions. It is a very strange arrangement with most of the space at the end unallocated. I question anyone who'd partition a hard drive in such a strange manner!

The only way to expand C is to stretch it and incorporate what is now currently in D and E -IF neither of this is a recovery partition. I think the "system reserved" might be your recovery partition.

You can only add something to a partition if it is in front or behind the partition. Therefore it is not possible to add any of the huge unallocated space to C.

First I'd make an image of the computer.
    You stated you've never done this before. There are so many spots that things could go wrong. Do one thing at a time and reboot. There is no hurry to do everything in one day. Take your time!
    That way if anything gets messed up, I have something to fall back on.
    I'd probably remove what is on D and remove what is on E. Most of my data is stored off the computer so I'd already have it archived elsewhere.

Next, I'd take the 831+GB partition and format it and partition it into 3 partitions of about 275GB each. Name them X, Y and Z. (You can reassign letters later). Move what is on E into Z, and what is on D into Y. Of course, if you prefer you can make two partitions and put D and E contents into the last partition.

Now you have an empty D, an empty E and an empty X of about 275GB.

Stretch C so it covers the old D, the old E and the new X.

My method is very cumbersome but if you are afraid of using partitioning software then the manual method is very long and cumbersome.

The last step would be to reassign partition Y as D and Z as E.
    Partition C would now consist of 59.9 + 19.9 + 19.9 + 275+ GB or about 365GB.

baklogic and Mr Saurabh Dua like this.
  11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you use Partition Wizard,you can actually move the E:partition, by sliding it within Partition Wizard along to anywhere into the unallocated space, so that you have 300gb , or, more, left between E: and D:- Then you can do the same with D:, and slide it along to meet E:, then while still in Partition Wizard, simply extend C: to take up the 300gb, or, so that you created, up to D:
    As long as you click apply after each one,and wait for it to apply it, (it will say so)
    I find this has worked for me - BUT YOU SHOULD BACKUP ANY DATA ON D: as a first step, as Plodr said- just to be sure on a couple of usb sticks.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html
    I am wary of changing drive letters, when a recovery partition is present, myself.-if E: is a recovery partition (or, even D:
    My Golden rules
    1. Backup any data before messing with any hard drive partitions
    1. Never try to delete a partition before the last partition-
    1. Doing something new- read it up, then read again, then make a practice run, without applying changes,just to see if I have missed something.
    Good luck

Mr Saurabh Dua likes this.
  12. Mr Saurabh Dua

Thank you very much!

I followed your advice & deleted D: & E: to expand C: comfortably to 250 GB & the rest two partitions settled at 375 GB each.

Thank you to all involved in this discussion !

baklogic likes this.
  13. plodr

I'm glad you got it sorted out.

14. Mr Saurabh Dua

There must go a button at the bottom to mark the Topic/discussion as 'Solved' !
    & I have got a BONUS here !
    Thank you all!

Attached Files:

15. plodr

No, this forum software doesn't have a solved button.

That Bonus shot says it all!

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Well done - always good to know a problem is solved, and how you fixed it - following plodr's method worked for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds