Folding@Home - Client types Roundup & Tweaking!

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldfish, Jul 28, 2004.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Goldfish 27/12/05: This needs updating! Please stand by!

Folding@Home
    Client Types Rounup & Tweaks

This is a little guide made to help people new to folding, or current folderings, aware of the different types of client and their advantages and disadvantages, and how to maximise your production rate! This will only deal with Windows clients, as I've not had any experience with Linux or Mac OS X clients, and as fas as I know, they are exactly the same as the Windows console version (they use the same switches, configuration etc.).

Anyway, if you havn't yet, now is probably a good idea to check out the Download Page at Stanford. You'll see there is a list of clients, including:

Screensaver only
    Graphical
    "No-nonsense" Console ;)

Screensaver only Client
    This is exactly the same as the graphical client, but it does not install the main body of the client. This means you need to have the graphical/console client installed before you use the screensaver only client.
    [​IMG]
    A screenshot of the Screensaver Client
    Installation :
    Easy peasy. Download the client, and install it. The go to Display Properties (right click the desktop, properties) and click the screensaver tab, and set it up through there.
    As a quote from the readme :
    And another image stolen from their installation process:
    [​IMG]
    You can find the installation process outlined on the stanford website HERE.

Graphical Client
    This is the "standard" client, which runs in the system tray, and can give you real-time visualisations of what exactly it is doing. It has a configuration wizard, which allows you to put in your username (whatever username you like) and a team name (12072). You can also change the configuration from here as to how much processor time is used (as a percentage) and whether to wait before it dials up/connects to the server for new work.

[​IMG]
    A screenshot of the graphic client, showing configuration window

This client is good for the standard user who isnt too worried about steaming through the work, but hopefully we don't have any of those here! ;)

Console Client
    [​IMG]
    This can be downloaded as a single executable which does not install itself. To install it, you either copy it to a new directory and run it, and it will automatically set itself up in the new directory, OR you can copy it to a current Folding@Home directory and the configuration files and core files will already be present, so it will require little/no setup. So, for example, if you had the graphical client installed already, you could copy this executable to the directory the graphic client is currently in, and run the console client, which would retain the same settings as the graphic client.

[​IMG]
    Comparison between the graphical client's folder, and the folder the console client creates on first run
    NOTE : The graphical folder may be missing a couple of files, as I only ran it once (e.g. fahlog-prev.txt)

You can set up the configuration of the console client on the first run, and says "yes" to chaning Advanced Settings.
    Running as a 2k/XP Service

The real beauty of the console client is that you can have it run as a service. This means that it is running from the moment you start the computer to the moment it turns off, maximising your production rate. In benchmarks, its also been seen to take a whole 2 seconds off frame time compared to having the console client run normally! That might not seem much, but in a Tinker Work Unit, there are 400 frames... and 400 X 2 seconds is 800 seconds, which is nearly 13 minutes off the whole work unit time!

If you want to install FAH as a service, I suggest you download FireDaemon. This makes the whole process MUCH easier, and less hassle.

Simply install FireDaemon, and set up a new service which points to the FAH4Console.exe executable. Make the working directory the F@h directory.
    [​IMG]
    Settings for my F@h service client
    The main important part of the configuration is to have the -service parameter!!! This is very important!!!! It's also recomnended you check the console client box.

Once you have the service installed and running, its completley invisible! You may way to use somthing like Electron Microscope III to monitor your clients progress. If you are running a network, you can also set this to monitor other machines running F@H using EM III. You can do this by sharing the F@H directory on the networked computer, and "add a box" pointing to the network share on that machine.

The client.cfg file
    In both the graphical and the console client folder, you will notice a file called client.cfg .... this is the configuration file for the clients. It's contents will look somthing like this :
    Code:
    [settings]
    username=Username
    team=12072
    asknet=no
    machineid=1

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=no

[core]
    cpuusage=100
    checkpoint=15

The settings in this file will apply to whatever client runs it, console, screensaver or graphical. When you go through the configuration wizard in the graphical client, you will create one of these files. If you want to use the same settings for the console version as the graphical, simply copy this file across.

TWEAKS!
    Okay, this is the part that EVERY geek loves. :D

SSE (Streaming SIMD Extensions) is an enhancment for x86 processors, which is useful for multimedia applications. It is basically an extension for the normal x86 instruction-set which allows for faster execution of low level commands.

Most modern processors support this... but if you need to check, then download CPU-Z
    [​IMG]

In the "Instructions" field, you can see if your processor has SSE. If it does, then add "-forcesse" to your command line parameters. (so, in FireDaemon, for example, your Parameters box should contain -service -forcesse). This will force the client (graphical or console) to use SSE optimisations. If you are having any problems with the program/computer crashing/locking up, then remove this parameter.

There are two types of cores currently in use by the F@H project : Gromacs and Tinker.

The Gromac core is a highly optimised computing core which comes from the contribution of Gromac and Stanford. The WU's which use the Gromac core typically have 100 frames, and they complete quite quickly. The Gromac core is optimised for modern processors, and will give you the best speed and points. In short : to get points fast, you WANT these WU's

The Tinker core was made specifically for Folding@Home... and was the original core. The WU's consist of 100 to 400 frames, and typically take a few days to complete. The Tinker core is in the process of being optimised, but most new computations are done with the faster Gromacs core. But certain calculations cannot be done with the Gromacs core, and so the Tinker core is continuing to be used.

In order to get mostly Gromacs WU's, you should pass the -advmethods parameter to the console client.

Other parameters
    -forceasm
    This forces optimised assembly code to be used, and used to be the same as forcesse. However, since the seperate forcesse parameter has been made, this only affects other optimisations. Seems to bring some sort of speed increace, but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

-betateam
    Tch! This parameter gets "beta" WU's from the server, which apparently give you more points per WU. But these WU's, as they are beta, are more often buggy, and do not complete. Again, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!.

Conclusion
    Well, I hope this has helped someone, and that we can all get FOLDING FASTER! :D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Re: Folding@Home - Client types Roundup & Wweaking!

UPDATE:

Some additional links
    Console Client Guide - shows all the options you can have.

Parameters recomendations
    AMD Single processor: -advmethods -forceSSE -verbosity 9
    Intel Single processor: -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9
    AMD Multiprocessor rig: -local -advmethods -forceSSE -verbosity 9
    Intel MP/HT: -local -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9

Liquid Ninja image:
    [​IMG]

3. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Good Job Goldfish!

Very helpfull info!

:cool:

cooked

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

5. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

Goldfish

so what does this mean?
    it will not go away. . .

Attached Files:

6. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

That's the commands you can use for the console client just click OK
    The console is Goldies realm so if clicking OK doesn't get rid of it wait on him.

7. jarcher

it wont

8. jarcher

Re: Goldfish

so what do I do then
    just what it says. . . .

9. Njal

Njal Private E-2

I don't run the console, but I imagine that message is coming up because you are trying to run the console with a bad flag.

Nj

10. jarcher

define " bad flag"

11. Njal

Njal Private E-2

if you run a program with options like:

fah4console.exe -advmethods -forceSSE -verbosity 9

if you mistype one of the flags (-advmethods -forceSSE -verbosity 9) it may cause an error as the program doesn't know what option you were trying to use. From my experience with programs when they respond with a list of options it means you selected something that wasn't correct.

12. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yes that error screen is because you passed an invalid parameter to the client. What is devinatley supported by the client no matter the version would be -advmethods. I don't THINK the graphical client uses verbosity 9 so I'd try dropping that param.

As a general note, -forceSSE no-longer takes an effect on the client as of version 5. -advmethods will enable that optimisation anyway.

13. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Almost got it :D

14. jarcher

so thats why I keep getting that damn pop up. . . . . .?

15. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

Yes, take the -forceSSE out of the command line and you should be ok. That popup shows the valid paramaters you can use and you can see that -forceSSE is not one of them. I got the pop up too so I changed -forceSSE to -forceasm and it works fine now.

Here is my command line for the GUI client from the startup folder:

"C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceasm

16. rmsubasic

rmsubasic XP-38 Spacemodulator

Is it worth mentioning to anybody that the least likely to be interrupted and most likely to produce non-stop results client is the no-nonsense client? If you use the no-nonsense client, it starts when the machine starts and does not stop unless you stop it, it crashes, or you shut down the machine [oh, or if the net is not available when it tries to post finished work]. I suggest that anyone who wants to get max production out of their machine(s) use the no nonsense client. It has worked for me.

Does anybody else have an opinion on this?

17. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

My 2 cents LOL,,,Glenn:)

Thanks for the input !!!, To the avarage or beginning user, the no nononsence panel can be confusing, granted it does run from startup untill shut down and runs a tad faster then the graphical client LOL I in my opinion would say the the so call no nonsence panels may be best off for the experianced user, that knows where in the file system the log and client files are kept, that average user or begining users may opt for the easy to use system programs....kind of like the user interface of AOL is creature feature friendly,,VRS , dial up or adls account with a SIMPLE browser,,,and outllook express,,,the AOL user is lost,with out the little friendly click here for this buttons,,LOL,,some entry level users, find the easy way first,, then as the become more familiar and skilled with there computers, they could transition to the more ROOTED programs,into the system files ,,Also the production with the graphical panel since revision, runs work units quite efficiently,The general Windows Graphical clients are more(user friendly) , They have made many improvments to the software brining it to the 5.03Beta version, that I have been running without a glitch, also the graphical panel, be it user friendy, you can very easily see the progress and the approximate completion time of a work unit.without having to enter the system file area,, ,, Glenn

18. rmsubasic

Good point about the no nonsense client probably being best for the more advanced users. If anyone wants the slight performance advantages I would be happy to (try to) help with any installation running issue with the no-nonsense client that people run into.

19. rmsubasic

Watch out for CPU stealers that slow down your folding. I have just loaded the latest version 1.0 of the Firefox browser (which I like very well and have been using since many betas ago) and I was using the tabbed browsing feature. I went away from my computer while it still had several pages in tabs on the minimized Firefox browser. When I returned about 7 hours later and checked my folding progress, I noticed that I was making VERY slow progress on my current folding session. As it turned out, Firefox was using up quite a bit of my CPU time even though I wasn't actually doing anything active (like viewing) with it.

For those who don't know who to check such things (probably very few of you) I use the Windows Task Manager which I bring up by hitting the CTRL ALT and DELETE keys all at once, and then clicking on the "processes" tab and looking down the CPU column to see what is happening. If anything other then one of the folding processes (those starting with the characters “FahCore_”) is using more than a few percent of CPU time, it might be worth your while to investigate what else is using time. If it is something that you don’t want running, investigate how to safely stop it as stopping other CPU using things will increase your folding speed.

Please use caution when making any changes, and if you don’t know what you’re doing, it may be best not to make any changes. As always, change your PC at your own risk. Have fun folding! :)

20. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

interesting -- fyi, I do got get that same behavior with maxthon.

21. jarcher

amber core's also need to be added

22. Steak and Eggs

Steak and Eggs Private First Class

running the windows console version on a linux(overclockix 3.7) rig using WINE also seems to be doing quite well for me. 600 point Gromacs only takes about 2.5days or so [​IMG]

23. otter_60

otter_60 Private E-2

Specifying your Team # if you already have the client installed

For the Screen-Saver version of the client, if you want to change your Team Number (or specify one if you never did - in which case it might be zero), then do the following:

1. Right-mouse click on the Folding Icon in System Tray.
    2. Select "Configure...".
    3. In the "Team number: " field, change whatever number is in there to 12072.
    Happy Folding!

O

24. otter_60

otter_60 Private E-2

Re: Specifying your Team # if you already have the client installed

BTW, the reason for my previous post...

I've been running Folding@Home for several years, and I don't really pay much attention to it, except for checking my stats once-in-a-while. I used the MajGeeks site this weekend to help me get rid of a LOT of malware on a friends PC. I saw the MG Folding Team and decided to join. But it was difficult figuring-out how to designate my Team # (since I had installed it ages ago), so when I finally figured-it-out, I made this post.

SO... if you guys can make this information more readily available to Folding-old-timers, you might get a lot more Team members.

Happy Folding!

O

25. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

This is what I am using to run my F@H as a service. I could use a bit of help on how to optimize my folding at this point.

I have been going along pretty stable for a bit now and feel the need to shake the box up and see what I can make faster :D

Seeing as I am running pretty stable right now, I am some what loath to just throw the hood open and start mucking about on my own, which is why I am asking for the help.

26. jarcher

27. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Tip sheet that I found on another site, that I feel could be of use to us all

Best Clients

1. SMP client (Native Linux/OSX)
    2. SMP client (Windows with Linux under VMWare)
    3. SMP client (Windows)
    4. GPU no-nonsense console client (Windows)
    5. GPU GUI client (Windows)
    6. No-nonsense console client (Windows or Linux)
    7. GUI client (Windows)

Best Operating System

1. Linux/OSX
    2. Windows with Linux under VMWare
    3. Windows

Best CPU Hardware

1. Quad Core Clovertown Xeons with 1333FSB
    2. Quad Core Clovertown Xeons with 1067FSB
    3. Quad Core Kentsfield
    4. Dual Core Woodcrest Xeon with 1333FSB
    5. Dual Core Woodcrest Xeon with 1067FSB
    6. Core 2 Duo (larger cache and/or faster FSB are better)
    7. Dual Core AMD Opteron, larger cache sizes are best
    8. Core Duo Mobile
    9. AMD 64 x2, larger cache sizes are best
    10. Core Solo Mobile
    11. Pentium M (Dothan) with 2mb cache
    12. Pentium M (Banias) with 1mb cache
    13. Single Core AMD 64
    14. Older Pentium 4 Netburst Architecture, larger cache sizes are best
    15. Older Pentium Mobile
    16. Celerys and Simper-ons

Obviously the higher the clock speed the better. There will be some overlaps between processor classes, for example a high-end DC Opteron will smoke a low-end Core 2. Similarly, 2x Dual Core Woodcrests will outperform a single Core 2 Quad because of the extra cache and the higher memory bandwidth of the duallie motherboard. Pretty much all of these CPUs can be overclocked; however the Xeons are for experts only.

Best GPU Hardware

1. ATI Radeon X1950XTX with DDR4
    2. As above with DDR3
    3. ATI Radeon X1900 series
    4. ATI Radeon X1950Pro
    5. ATI Radeon X1800 series

I haven't tried all of these so beware. 512MB GPUs are more productive than their 256MB counterparts; same is true of DDR4 memory over DDR2/3.

Best Memory Configuration

1. Four FB-DIMMs in Quad Channel mode
    2. Two DDR2s in Dual Channel mode
    3. Two DDRs in Dual Channel mode
    4. Four DDR2s Dual Channel
    5. Four DDRs Dual Channel
    6. One or three DDR2s
    7. One or three DDRs

In all cases you should have at least 1GB (2x 512) of memory. If running VMWare, you will need at least 2GB (2x1GB). With Quad Cores, shoot for 4GB if possible.

Latency matters, the lower the better, but it�s less important than clock speed. DDR2-800 with CAS4 is the minimum you should shoot for if it�s a new build. DDR2-1067 if you can afford it.

Best Client Mix

1. 2x Quad Core Xeons � Four SMP clients and (optional) one GPU client
    2. 1x Quad Core C2D � Two SMP clients and (optional) one GPU client
    3. 2x Dual Core Xeons - Two SMP clients and (optional) one GPU client
    4. High-end Dual Core machines � One SMP client
    5. Mid-range Dual Core machines with SLI or Crossfire � Two GPU clients
    6. All other Dual Core machines � One SMP client
    7. High-end Single Core machines � One Console client
    8. Low-end Single Core machines � One GPU client

The above assumes non-Windows SMP clients. You should only consider the Windows SMP client if you can�t get VMWare working, or don�t have enough RAM to support VMWare.

Never mind that Stanford recommend four cores per CPU client, it runs fine on two. Your low end machine (Celery, Simperon etc) still has value and is best used as a mule for a GPU. The X1950Pro is good value, the X1950XTX has the most power. If you have a mid range dual core machine, and two PCIe slots with at least 8 lanes each, then two GPU clients (on two GPUs) will probably outperform one SMP client. All other dualies with one PCIe slot are best used for an SMP client.

Look out for electricity cost. Any of the Mobile chips on a Desktop mobo will save you money. After that, the Core architecture is best, followed by the AMD, with Intel P4/Xeon Netburst bringing up the rear. The best Points Per Day per Watt comes from the Clovertown Xeons and the Kentsfield Quad; the worst is from the P4 Netburst and Celeri.

Last if you are overclocking, don't push it too far. An unstable OC will cost you points and waste Stanfords time.

Now if you want this as a seperate "Sticky" please let me know

28. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Sounds like good advice, should be a sticky :)

Well done BCGray you are doing a great job

If you have a spare
    Quad Core Clovertown Xeon with 1333FSB
    a couple of ATI Radeon X1950XTX's with DDR4
    and a quad channel mobo
    to spare, I promise to put them to good use :D

DDR4 and quad channel ? :drool
    think I've been living under a rock :eek:

29. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Thanks shanemail.......if I had a few spare of those Bro I'd gladly give them to any Major Geek Team member, but then I also wouldn't be down at #53 I'd be up there with C.P. and the gangLOL.

Just a note Gang, the Major just went up another point on the charts were at #82 WaaaaaHooo way to go gang

30. discboy321

discboy321 Private E-2

So you have my interest. However I completely have no idea what I need to do to get started. What program do I need to install?

Update I went ahead to this site "http://devel.bluetentacle.co.uk/index.php?page=gui-based-installer" and installed and opened. Seems to be working ....started to ask questions in Dos window , which I did and have it installed to run at start up since I have dsl. Anyone have any more sites I can read on about this?

31. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That most likely will not have you folding for MajorGeek's team. I would go here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download and download the client of your choice. You need to enter your user name, and the team number you wish to fold for in the Dos window if you use the console version. MajorGeek's team number is 12072.

The Stanford site (see link) has forums and FAQ's. If you have any questions, post them. And even though I fold on another team, thanks for Folding! Always good to get new folks involved.:)

Oh yeah, what kind of 'puter are you folding on? Some versions will only work on certain computers. Post the specs of your system, and we can recommend the correct folding program for you.

E

32. discboy321

discboy321 Private E-2

I built it myself from spare parts I had. I do have a Dell 8400 tricked and modded but no longer dsl connected.

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 2700+
    CPU Alias Thoroughbred-B
    CPU Stepping B0
    Instruction Set x86, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE
    L1 Code Cache 64 KB
    L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

Memory Slots
    DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    DRAM Slot #2 256 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    DRAM Slot #3 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    Field Value
    Computer
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2166 MHz (13 x 167) 2700+
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7S748 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio)
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 748
    System Memory 1280 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (08/30/04)
    .)

Display
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (Microsoft Corporation) (128 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
    Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (ETL4908429)

Storage
    IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive WDC WD600BB-00CAA1 (55 GB, IDE)
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6L300R0 (300 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    Disk Drive WDC WD1600BB-22DAA0 USB Device (149 GB, USB)
    Optical Drive DVDRW IDE 16X
    Optical Drive TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H352A (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
    C: (NTFS) 57239 MB (32238 MB free)
    F: (NTFS) 286181 MB (110352 MB free)
    G: (FAT32) 152588 MB (59497 MB free)
    Total Size 484.4 GB (197.4 GB free)

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You should be good to go with the regular console program. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

Great job deciding to fold! I would look into your RAM setup, you may not be running dual channel.

From your motherboard's manual:

Support Unbuffered DDR DIMM Sizes type:
    64 Mbit (2Mx8x4 banks) 64 Mbit (1Mx16x4 banks) 128 Mbit(4Mx8x4 banks)
    128 Mbit(2Mx16x4 banks) 256 Mbit(8Mx8x4 banks) 256 Mbit(4Mx16x4 banks)
    512 Mbit(16Mx8x4 banks) 512 Mbit(8Mx16x4 banks)

Did not copy too well, here is a link http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Support/Motherboard/Manual_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=15885

E

34. discboy321

discboy321 Private E-2

ok Thanks for everyones help. I do not mean to ask too many questions but is there a way to tweak the program a little. Right now its using 100 per cent of cpu and I would like to bring that down to about 75 - 80 per cent.

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If you are using the console client, you need to re-run the setup and select YES when asked it you want to change the advanced features. You should be able to adjust it there.

Any particular reason you don't want it at 100%? :cool

Oh yeah, here is a link for you: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38418

E

36. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

I'm only a private, but I say don't worry, it automatically only takes up space that you don't use!... I know this because I been watching my Task manager and when I click on an email i.e. ...the CPU usage for F at H just drops down... and then comes back up to speed while I read my email... :cool

37. dnnyo

I think I learned you can't put an attachment in a quote?:confused rolleyes

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  38. dnnyo

I think I got stuck? according to task manager, Folding is running good, but the mem usage stat hasn't changed all day, is this normal? I'd like to reinstall, but I don't wanna lose data that's already here. I guess I don't understand when does Stanford collect this data? I'm hesitant about opening files that I don't know what they are or what I'm doing...:confused

Attached Files:

39. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Check your logs dnnyo. When your computer finishes a Work Unit, it will send the data to Stanford's server. Sometimes there are delays, but they will get the data you crunched, give you a new WU, and you will get credit for the WU. Most of the stat pages update every 3 hours, I assume after Stanford updates.

If you think you have a problem, check your F@H log.

E

40. michael1405

michael1405 Private E-2

I need a help, and don't know whom to ask. I get malware named "antivirus XP 2008" and when I tried to clean it up my computer failed to start and I had forced to reinstall Windows. After it I can't open any Windows application - massege is saing me that file.exe is not found in DLL. Please, T help me to overcome this problem! Thanks!

41. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

42. petermead83

petermead83 Private E-2

Is the Folding project still going on? Im interested in joining in. I was looking through the treads, but they were dated 2008 and so on.

43. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Yes it is.:)

Just need to download the client, install and start folding.
    The newest client is the v7 and it handles most of the install automatically.
    You just need to check for username availability, get a passkey and join a team by inputting the correct team number, which for MGs is 12072.
    Are you using a desktop or laptop and will you be going 24/7 or less?

44. petermead83

petermead83 Private E-2

Cool, yes I would join the MajorGeeks team. I am using a XenDesktop session, it is 1 of 2 XenDesktops on a virtual server. Yes, it runs overnight, so hoping to be more useful than just a home PC user who occasionally leaves their PC on overnight.

45. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

So you are running virtually with a session from a server that I assume is a business server?
    In that case, you would want to be very careful in installing the folding application. In a business setting, you should have written permission from the owner as usage of resources and costs are not your own.
    Please check with management before adding this application to a business computer.

46. petermead83

petermead83 Private E-2

Cool thanks for the heads up. I work in IT here. Im gonan test it on my PC at home, which isn't great, its an old Pentium D machine. I assume it wouldn't contribute a great amount.

How do I add myself to the MG team on my PS3?

47. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I have never done an install on a PS-3 but I would assume there is a step in the install/configuration to input the team number.

PS-3 Installation Guide with video
    PS-3 FAQs

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds