Vista

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by GaryB, Jan 31, 2007.

1. GaryB

GaryB Private E-2

Newbe here.

I’m what some would consider a senior citizen (that means one is old and pays taxes). My computer knowledge is mostly from the equipment my company supplies and they are usually up to date in technology.

My personal pc is OK, but not really great. It has 319 mb ram and operating on ME. I’m interested in purchasing Vista for my personal pc and have been told that I must upgrade first to an XP system, then jump to Vista.

Is that is correct? If so, which XP system would be recommended.

Thanks and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. GaryB

GaryB Private E-2

Wow, don't I feel like a doo doo bird. After posting my question above, I started reading and found out vista is indeed an upgrade of XP.

Thanks,

3. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks :)
    Glad you self-found your answer ;)

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

You can also buy a full version and not have to buy xp. but your personal computer doesn't sound up to the snuff for vista, read the vista requirements before you buy it just to be sure.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That won't cut it, you need 1GB RAM at least along with a newer system. Not much older than 2 years I'm afraid. Run the Vista advisor and you'll see what you need to upgrade if possible. I hope you're OK though I doubt it. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

BTW, you can go the upgrade route as many dealers have XP disks with free Vista upgrade coupons valid until March 15 but they charge you $28 USD to ship the Vista disk, meaning moduslink. You may want to invest in a pre-built system with Vista loaded instead. Hope that helps.

EDIT: Sorry, you need XP to run the advisor. If you can afford it, get a new system. Otherwise you're out of luck with what you have.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  6. GaryB

GaryB Private E-2

Thanks everyone for your input.

The excuse I've been looking for to upgrade my existing pc has finally come. Hello new pc, good by to my old one.

GaryB

7. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

8. GaryB

GaryB Private E-2

Thanks shanemail for the address, I'm learning a lot of stuff there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds