the maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded

Discussion in 'Software' started by egcoronel, Aug 17, 2008.

1. egcoronel

egcoronel Private E-2

hey guys im new here, just a quick question. I was trying to enable hibernating my laptop and then an error message keeps popping up -- the maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded-also my clock is not properly working.how can i fix this problem??? Thanks

2. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Re: the maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exce

I haven't got a clue. The only information you give us is a laptop and a message that pops up (which is not a Window$ message). Perhaps you have a MAC?
    Suggest you try the MALWARE forum first:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Follow directions to the letter. You might print the page(s) first. This will get rid of any malware first. Then post your laptop configuration, what operating system you're using and any hardware/software changes you've recently made.

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

4. huso

huso Private E-2

Re: the maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exce

i am getting a similar error message on my computer. But i'm assuming that its the result of a malware that i accidently activated. supposedly some video codec. Ever since i ran it, my computer is causing errors in any windows mode where the network is enabled. thus Safe Mode is the only stable mode available. however when i try to run the system restore, it gives the error message "The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded. (0x80070565)"

any networked mode causes errors in either Plug n Play or COM+ causing the system to restart.

any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

5. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

6. hairylegs222

hairylegs222 Private E-2

Im posting this message everywhere cause this is one nasty virus. This message was caused by a cloaked malware virus on my pc which i recently just fixed thanks to pervx3.0. The virus reset my vista password and wouldnt let me put in a new one. Then I tried to use system restore, again same thing. I also tried to use my vista upgrade cd in windows and boot up with it.....again same thing!!!! All 3 things I tried would pop up the maximum number of secrets crap error. Instead of going thru a big hassle of somehow deleting it yourself. If you're getting similiar problems then get the pervx3.0 scanner to see if it detects anything. If it does then I highly suggest to pay only $15 for a 1month subscription to fix them. It's better then backing up everything you've got....get a new hard drive....waste at least $100+. This method definitely works so no need to fear lol.

7. hairylegs222

hairylegs222 Private E-2

Also i forgot....when i tried anti-superspyware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and a-squared Anti-Malware they would lock up themselves when their scanner reached the system32 folder.

8. smoggydave

smoggydave Private E-2

ok, so how do I do it? the dang thing wont let me install( it disconnected the installer program) and it wont let it run, am at my wits end! somebody please help. the wife has over 100,000 files(mostly pictures) that would take FOREVER! lol:cry

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

smoggydave,

Welcome to Major Geeks!

This thread is over three years old, and you would probably get better results posting a new thread with your problem. That being said, this error can be caused by a program or a virus. To err on the side of caution, check this out. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407. This is the link to the "Read and Run Me First" section of the Malware Removal forum. Hope this helps! :)

10. hairylegs222

hairylegs222 Private E-2

That was such a long time ago lol. Like I said and remember that Prevx was my answer. Your computer should always have a good virus protection program. I haven't had 1 virus ever since I installed Prevx, no joke. It gets rid of the nastiest malware viruses of any type I've ever had.

11. smoggydave

smoggydave Private E-2

ok, didn't notice the date, and have never heard of this one, we have system suite professional but she goes to Utube and Mixpod alot, it won't let me either use the AV I have or install a new one, it goes through the install but when I try to scan it closes whatever program I'm trying to use, will try the thread( alot of steps, and some it won't let me do) but thanks for both the help and responding to my questions, the 2 other places I went I didn't even get a response:confused

12. Noprotein

Noprotein Private E-2

My buddy's computer was infected with the same bug. It's a rootkit and possibly one of the most difficult ones I've ever had to deal with (in and of only itself). I tried normal methods and it was changing permissions left and right, removing files, haulting and crashing; or worse making the windows, what I gathered, transparent. This was causing "you're already running XX" but had no way of accessing it.

Any new, installed programs to combat it (offline or online) would lose access and become unusable almost instantly. This really is not a normal infestation. I've got 15 years as a tech and this took me all day, and I'm still working on it. So advising people to generic read & fix methods will probably not do the trick. It seems this rootkit has had a revival and a modification to prevent current AV/AM programs from stopping it.

While it's advisable to read that first and start your own thread, I just wanted to share this was significantly different and harder to resolve. That being said, I'll post in this thread (since it's the TOP RESULT in google) and perhaps a few others if I'm feeling energetic. When you google "the maximum number of secrets... etc" you come here. So, that's why folks kept it active.

As of now, I tried: uninstalling/reinstalling things, checking for obvious signs of infection and less obvious, creating a new user, checked privileges, assessed what it was doing (which was making any program that accessed sys32 or some other registry values inoperable immediately), changed settings in IE/Chrome/FF which would cause instant redirects through 100k-search.com, a boot scan from AVG which completed but didn't help, and now a boot scan with updated Avast.

This is a dirty SOB

13. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

The link provided above is not a 'generic read & fix'. It is a personalized malware removal procedure geared towards online help of the user's specific machine. It's a way of generating logs and removing what can be removed via the removal tools given. Our malware removal experts (who are probably some of the best available, for free no less, on the internet) then go through and guide the user in manually removing the infection from that specific person's machine. Their goal is removal without having to reformat ...which is what a lot of advise on other tech forums is.

If you go to our Malware removal forum and look at some of the threads, you'll see that this is far from generic. ;)

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi, just go through all steps and post what logs you can in a new thread in the Malware forum. Let them know any issues you had after you have run through the whole thing. Be sure the follow all steps exactly as they are given.

Good luck.

15. Noprotein

Noprotein Private E-2

Wasn't trying to offend, no need to be protective or defensive =)

Anyway, it's preventing booting or installation of programs and other nasty tricks that would certainly prevent a normal user from following usually-helpful steps. As I noted, this is particularly nasty. Now this PC opens the blue windows loading screen to just display the same erroneous secrets error and won't login. Ugh.

16. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If you cannot boot in any mode ( safe or normal mode ) and you cannot run any of the READ & RUN ME there is not much we can do for you except suggest what is in the below quote box

17. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

If I may, I would like to recommend one other bootable CD.

Dr. Web Live CD.

If you download Hirens Cd. It has Dr Web Cure it on it. If you cannot connect to the internet with Hirens booted in order to update it, replace the version on the CD with a new one from Dr Web's site. I would also add a anti-rootkit program to it called aswmbr.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds