Vista Printer Spooler Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by elio_camacho, May 12, 2009.

1. elio_camacho

elio_camacho Private E-2

I am having an issue with my Print Spooler in Vista.

I have tried everything I can find on the net and I still can not add any printers.

Explorer crashes when I attempt to add one. It used to give a spooler application error but I tried a fix I found online and that error went away but it still crashes and wont let me add anything.

Can anyone help because this is seriously starting to affect my business?

Best,

Elio

2. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I am having the same problem on a Dell w/Vista that is barely a year-and-a-half old. It got so bad (annoying) that I simply shoved the machine in the corner more than six months ago and went back to my seven year-old machine with XP.

I get a "Found New Hardware" prompt on EVERY start-up, AND EVERY time I switch between user accounts. NOTHING I've been able to do in months and months of trying has worked. Talk about annoying.

A "friend" of mine who had used the machine for awhile while I was away performed MULTIPLE forced/hard ("Disruptive") shutdowns on this machine, and I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I the Vista Performance and Reliability Monitor I get: "Abnormally Stopped System Services" - Exit Code 1068 - C:\Windows\System32\SpoolService.exe - Started: False - State: "Stopped".

I have tried changing/fixing things in "Services" - to no avail.

Is there anyone out there with ANY suggestions or ideas on what we can do? Anything, anything at all??

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I don't know, maybe someone can help with this gibberish that I scoured out of the bowels of this machine? I've attempted to install a total of four (4) printers now (two which are Dell's - though one was from Europe, and I probably shouldn't have tried that one?).

Attached Files:

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try clearing out the Printer Spooler, just incase there are any previous jobs corrupted in its cache and this app has bailed me out a few times Stalled Printer Repair

Then follow this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324757 and even grab the Windows 2003 Resource Kit and run from Start > All Programs > Windows Resource Kit Tools and right click Run as Admin the Command Line to elevate the command prompt (CMD) then type Cleanspl.exe then choose your Computers Name, this can be found by right clicking in the Start menu Computer and choosing Properties and name is under Computer name, Domain, and Workgroup Settings.

note: while it is a Windows 2003 kit it is applicable to XP and Vista but these are advanced tools

This is a follow on option from the above to try as Bruce's tips are great for miscreant printer drivers http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Wow thanks David - looks like lots to do so I'd better get-going here ... quick question first (and I know this may seem ridiculous, but if I don't ask I won't know): on the first link, should I download the zip file AND the installer please?

Thanks in advance ...

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Glenn

My preference is the ZIP version as its a portable one and doesnt need to be installed onto your PC as its standalone version so as this app is not always needed, why installit when you can run from standalone. Dont need both, you're just given a choice of installer version or standalone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds