Acer Aspire Es15 Rattling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheTick, Sep 20, 2017.

1. TheTick

TheTick Corporal

Hi guys..

I have an Acer aspire es15 I recently bought, it was working fine the for some reason a rattling sound omits from it when the comp is doing work i.e watching YouTube vids.

I think it's the bearings in the fan as I don't know anything else in the hw that would rattle.. any thoughts on what else it could be??

If it is the fan I will have to get a new one.. this is my question... How do I know I am getting the right one? I take it they are not universal. And help would be muchly appreciated.

Spec
    Win 10 64 bit
    1000gb hd
    Amd quad core processor 2.4 GHz
    8gb ram.

Not sure on motherboard name/type

Cheers

2. td47

td47 Private E-2

It is always possible that some foreign object (e.g. part of a label, staple or similar) has found its way into the fan assembly, and you only hear it at the higher fan speed (i.e. when the CPU is working hard). Check exactly what your model number is, and see if there are any YouTube videos showing how to get at, and clean out the fan on your model of Acer laptop. It could be similar to this one: https://www.ebay.com/p/Acer-Aspire-E15-E5-521-Laptop-CPU-Cooling-Fan-DC28000ERS0/1338402719

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I agree with td47 and most likely it is the fan blades hitting some object, or the bearings are wearing. But note hard drives also have motors and bearings too though your description of the timing of the noise points to the fan.

You really have no choice but to open the case to inspect the fan. From there, you should be able to clean out any dust and debris and hopefully get some model numbers.

4. TheTick

TheTick Corporal

Hey guys

Cheers for responding i forgot to mention in the initial message that i did open the laptop up and blew compressed air into the fan, as the fan was spinning there as no noise and there appeared to be nothing lodged in the fan. I did not take the fan physically out of the casing though do you still think i should do that?

Cheers

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Note when blasting air into a fan, you typically spin the fan in the reverse direction and may push the bearings in the hub in the opposite direction they are used to. So you may not hear any worn bearing noise.

Some notebooks have more than one fan too.

I would try to listen to see/hear if I can isolate the noise to its source. A stethoscope or paper towel tube may help with that. If you can reach the spinning fan with your finger or a wooden Popsicle/glue stick, touch the center hub of the fan for just a second or two to change the rotation speed momentarily. If the fan is the source of the noise, the "pitch" of noise will change with the fan speed. If the noise remains constant, you are in the wrong place.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sometimes there is a wad of hair/fluff between the fan and the inlet , and if so, it might mean dismantling to clean it - If you feel up to it......
    If your laptop has the usual fan assembly, and anything is caught in it, this video shows a typical removal and internal cleaning of the fan

If it is like this following video, it is a lot more work- in this video, I would note that the person doing it is not taking any antistatic precautions, so 'pretend he has at least a pair of gloves similar t the first video,whilst doing it- I only show it because it shows a more intricate fan housing that would mean you would have to remove the screws holding it to the board that appears to be covering the cpu as well, and you would need to have some artic silver, or, similar heatsink paste when reassembling.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbG_Nocfaaw
    Should the fan be found to b clean, and the bearing is not noisy, or, has anything to show the noise is coming from there-
    I would then suspect the hard drive- When a hard drive is failing you often hear it clicking as the internal arm does not release/return to an area of the disc as it should.
    As Digerati said, listening with something held against the laptop would be a good way of determining where the noise is coming from.

7. TheTick

TheTick Corporal

Hey..

I have opened it up before, and could not find and fluff/dirt on the fan..

I have yet to use a device to try and listen to where the sound is coming from, but just from listening from the outside the noise seems to be coming from the fan.

I will write back when I figure out where it comes from but in the meantime if it is the fan, are the fans above by td47 the right ones?

Cheers

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Your laptop will start without a hard drive in it - Could be worth removing the hard drive, and testing to see if noise s still there.
    td47 's link may well be the same as yours- you will need your full laptop numbers to get it right- like Es 15 E5 511/521/571G,
    Check your model, then you should b good.

9. TheTick

TheTick Corporal

Hey BakLogic

Thanks for your reply and idea.. I took out the HD and booted it up and it rattled.. not as loud but i heard a rattle. The mystery is over lol

With regards to buying a new one i am a complete noob could you guys here help me locate one in England? The laptop is obv an acer but a E1S 15 (ES1-521-84RW) are these numbers what i need to looks for a new fan?

Cheers

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

11. TheTick

TheTick Corporal

Hi

cheers for the links. i shall give them a look, guess i will have to take the fan out of my computer again to see the right model number lol

thanks again

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Purchased Brand NEW or refurbished/second-hand?

13. TheTick

TheTick Corporal

Refurbished 2nd hand

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds