Microsoft Are Ending Development Of Windows On Mobiles

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by MaxTurner, Oct 9, 2017.

1. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Microsoft have decided not to further develop any further Windows 10 OS for smart phones.
    It's own CEO has moved to Android.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41551546

That must make anyone question buying a Windows-based Smart Phone now.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have two nokia's with windows on- I will miss them when they die........hopfully another couple of years....at least

DavidGP likes this.
  4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I still think they may early next year release a Surface Phone but it will be aimed at business over consumer.

I have had/have 4 Windows Phones and been much better than iPhones I have had, also now do use an Android as it fills a gap WPs have, the Sony L1 I have works good, may just move to Android fully at some point.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I don't like the ipods, ipads, and androids, much, as they are overloaded to my ideals.The Windows phone was always easier to use.

6. DavidGP

iPods are good, have one and old one but works fine, with good battery life.

With WP I kind alike the fluid screen over some boring small icon as on Android/iOS, sadly MSFT did not pitch that as a plus as rotating tiles with upto date info is really neat, news, weather, emails, events in calendar at a glance without opening the app is different.

I do more using it like Android (using Nougat) the apps WP does not have are a winner for me, my Banks apps as well as Android pay, oooh and while I have satnav built into my car Waze is superb!

If MSFT release a Surface phone I'm likely to buy as I use main phone for business and office more, ok Android and Office 365 is good, now that W10 offers "link your phone" I just like the look of WP OS, if you are an office type user/student the must haves are Office apps (Word, Excel etc) but Office Lens and Remote, Lens is brill for capturing presentations easily.

iPhone X looked at and really NO, no real new tech and price, what a rip off, near £1800 for a 24mth contract.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I like the easier access that the windows phone give- I just feel,
    like you ,that there is too much now on these new gismos, and probably, again because I know Windows well, I just prefer the Windows phone.
    If MSFT do release a new Surface phone, I will most likely buy one, too.- but the older versions suit me for my needs.
    I use my two old Windows phones, and will do,until they die.
    I still prefer a laptop to these tablets, as I like to see more , being an old foggy eyes, now.

DavidGP likes this.
  8. DavidGP

I'm like you I just love Windows Phone, while MSFT has added many apps for Apple/Android that only WP coul do in past its more redundant now but the UI feel of WP10 is just leaps and bounds ahead of the boring ass cubes of iOS and Android, live tiles really serve a purpose and work well.

As I have said I do have an Android phone a Sony L1 which covers apps the WP10 does not and works well, so much I have been thinking of getting the Nokia 8 https://www.nokia.com/en_gb/phones/nokia-8#start

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

That looks a good buy - No doubt the double use of front and rear camera will attract some, too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds