Graphics Card Compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aro78, Nov 17, 2017.

1. aro78

aro78 Private E-2

I am using Compaq Presario CQ3050IL having following components:
    Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo (2.80GHz)
    Motherboard- Intel Chipset G31 DDR2, Manufacturer-MSI, Model- MS7525(Boston), Slot- PCI Express 1.0, Socket-775
    RAM- 4 GB DDR2 800
    I want to install Zotac NVIDIA geforce gt 710 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card (PCI Express 2.0) to enhance the graphics of my PC but I'm not sure whether it'll be compatible with the motherboard or not. I have checked the HP site and it says that the motherboard has following expansion slots: one PCI Express x16, two PCI Express x1 and one PCI Express 1.0. It'll be very helpful if someone replies about the compatibility and whether it'll increase my PC's graphics performance or it'll remain same due to bottleneck.

2. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards.

But be for we go any further.Check your info for us on your power supply.How many watts does it put out.If it put's out more than 300 watts you should be fine.

You will have to open up your case to find the specs on the power supply.There is a chance you might have to up grade the power supply as well.

3. aro78

aro78 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply @Wile E. Coyote . I opened the cabinet a few months ago and it was most probably 300 watts or more but I should answer this only after opening the cabinet again. Meanwhile I have some further queries and your answer will help me to proceed in a right direction. The queries are:
    1. GT 730 with 4 GB DDR3 memory or even GT 730 with 2GB DDR5 memory would be better option but are those compatible with this G31 motherboard ? I am eager to know your thoughts.
    2. I have seen several models of GT 710 with or without fans. I personally feel graphics card with fans provide better cooling, although I don't know the cooling technology of those without fans, perhaps they use passive cooling. I'm interested to know your thoughts about cooling of graphics card and whether those with fans will be better option or not.
    3. After installation of the new graphics card shall I have to disable the on-board graphics or there's no need to do so.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What OS?
    If it's old, it will no longer be running at peak efficiency. If it's at or near 300 watts, you may want to consider an upgrade anyways, as a graphics card will put a new load on it.

5. Anon-469e6fb48c

I would recommend on sticking with cards that say only PCI Express x16.Since it's what your mother board requires.

What kinda connections does your monitors have.Do they have the blue connectors or both blue and white. or just plane white.

6. Anon-469e6fb48c

7. aro78

aro78 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply @Just Playin. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

8. aro78

aro78 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply @wile e coyote. My PC's monitor has blue connectors.

9. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The card you mentioned will work, provided the PSU is up to the task as we've both pointed out. It will be an improvement over the onboard graphics chip.
    Both will work also. 2GB DDR5.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds