Xp Administrator Account

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'm wanting to set up both XP Home 32 bit and Vista Home 32 bit on my very first laptop bought in Sep 2004 and it isn't proving easy! Current issue is how to run a command in XP 'As Administrator'. I've created a new user 'Administrator' and that user appears in User Accounts. However it does not appear at boot and fails if I try to run a command under the Administrator username. I'll understand if nobody can be bothered with this - in fact I'm starting to wonder why I am. Suit someone with nothing better to do ;)

AtlBo likes this.
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Shouldn't there be a built in Admin account?

AtlBo likes this.
  3. Earthling

There doesn't appear to be in XP Home. Here's the path -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. Earthling

The Admin account does appear at boot if I boot to Safe Mode. Suspect I should have created the user in Safe Mode - I'll try that. AtlBo - don't want any tweaks at all yet, just plain vanilla XP. It's amazing, after using it for donkey's years, how soon you can forget it all, or is that my advancing years? :eek:

AtlBo likes this.
  6. AtlBo

7. Earthling

8. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Dear Earthling, we watch from above and are proud of your desire to geek with XP on older hardware!
    It is both rewarding and fun to play with these aged configurations as we do often. It seems the other humans have led you to a solution which is good!
    had a chuckle about
    I remember the days when we were all using XP and wondering how we now ever neglected 98?
    I know your savy to this but, with XP security wise, your leaving the double barn doors open all night.
    May i suggest : I recently dusted off the wifes old AMD dual core (2g ram) and brought it back to life with a clean format of Kali Linux
    It flies like a well tuned ferrari on the old hardware and keeps you secure with the latest OS patches. You will hate the CLI shell for the first few days but if you google and persist you will wonder why you bothered with anything else.
    PS....I did try it with the live bootable version from USB first, but its way too slow in this domain.

Cheers Rep :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  9. Earthling

Hi Rep, it's partially because I'd like to put to the test all the dire threats of catching some incurable disease through going online with XP that I'm doing this. I do have XP's puny firewall on but atm that's it - no AV/AS at all. I'm only visiting sites I've used a lot and am pretty sure are clean and we will see what happens. Main problem is finding a browser that works without too many issues. IE8 has a lot, as does Avant. Any other suggestions?

Linuxwise I do have Puppy, and have tried a few others but I'm too lazy really to learn the stuff you need to get the best from it.

Ah well, think I'll pop over for lunch to that nice new eatery in Saturn orbit.

10. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Lmao...:)
    Having No AV is not a big issue, they usually lag behind what is important anyway and you are forgiven with this point.
    Firewalls are not a comfort in total especially configured for XP.

Any infection means the enemy has already infiltrated your database which is why we expressed concern in above post.

We have already found a vulnerability in your XP OS installation and have dumped a reverse HTTP protocol file on your system in the hope that we may convince you to return to Saturn immediately. :cool:

11. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

If the future in OS kernel access with bullet proof security and toys to geek with is your desire, then just try Kali. It rocks!
    We are expecting your report ;)

12. Earthling

Y'know I might even give that a whirl, as I've broken my own golden rule of not making major changes without a backup image but when I used an old Partition Wizard boot disk to shrink XP so I can install Vista, XP just disappeared! :oops: I've tried partition recovery software but there seems no trace of my previous XP system. This leaves the old laptop vacant - can I be bothered to try Kali? ;)

Replicator and AtlBo like this.
  13. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Earthling and AtlBo like this.
  14. AtlBo

Nice one Claw (Nick T's handle on another site). Thought FF 47 or 48 was the best for XP. Maybe someone will work with the new Quantum from Moz for XP. Love to try that on an XP system I have here. Gonna give 52 a look though. Haven't fired up the old ghost in a few months, so here goes...:eek:

15. Earthling

In the process of reinstating XP atm, Seems the activation server no longer exists - is it OK to simply ignore activation does anyone know, or am I going to hit a problem after 30 days?

16. protozone

protozone Private E-2

Waiting with interest. I think you have to use a VOL XP version.

AtlBo likes this.
  17. Earthling

I'd better limit the time I put into this until I know the answer to that as it is turning out to be quite time consuming.

AtlBo likes this.
  18. Earthling

Milestone! Posting from a working and connected XP SP3, safely backed up this time! Been a battle with this 14 year old Gericom Ego that can't boot from USB and whose optical drive doesn't like DVDs. I thought PLoP would have solved the no USB boot issue but all my bootable flash drives fail to boot except Puppy Linux so it's CDs to the rescue. It's currently downloading all the post-SP3 updates, something I hadn't expected.

Now for Vista.

AtlBo likes this.
  19. AtlBo

Well deserved congratulations Earthling. Good luck with a browser now. SlimJet seems to be working for me. FF 52.5.0 ERS looks good, but the plugin container hang is too lethal. Glad Mozilla got rid of that in Quantum (no XP support)...

20. Earthling

After all 132 post-SP3 updates had been installed I was informed that activation was necessary before I could logon again but this time activation succeeded, so anyone else wanting to revisit XP can safely do so providing they have a valid key. Firefox ESR 52.5.0 has been well behaved so far, but that isn't very far!

AtlBo likes this.
  21. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

baklogic and AtlBo like this.
  22. AtlBo

Now that the beast is present, time to feed it. Let let the freeware fiesta begin. Think I have 80 apps installed in XP on one PC, not counting .NET and updates for that and 200+ other updates. Most of them are necessary. Using the W10 Transformation Pack on XP on this PC to keep from having seizures looking at the GUI. Made up a wallpaper and switched over the system font, sounds cursors and so on to W10. Much better...

Windows XP Mod 2 Logo Color 1680x1050.png

Eldon likes this.
  23. Eldon

This is the beauty of WinXP.

7_ 2.jpg
    Start Menu.jpg

Taskbar.jpg

My Libraries.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    AtlBo likes this.
  24. AtlBo

Wow its beautiful :rolleyes:. It is much better than the original I will say. Remember old beloved search dog? I know he has a name but don't recall it right now. There is a simple way to make him disappear, a fact which I was not unhappy to learn of years ago. Made him reappear for this pic:

Search Dog.png

Well, how about some Windows 10:

XP Desktop.png

Way more work in this than can be imagined or than I would care to admit, but it's a worthy old system. Now this setup is imaged and preserved for its lifetime I guess. Oh yeah, even have a super light aero snap app running. Nice little touch there...

baklogic and Eldon like this.
  25. Eldon

Just to blow the minds of those watching when you start Windows XP... :rolleyes:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/winmetro.html

AtlBo likes this.
  26. AtlBo

O no. No no no. Not Iobit for the XP mod thx...o_O

27. Earthling

Nice stuff guys - they do say there's many a good tune played on an old fiddle :)

AtlBo and Eldon like this.
  28. Eldon

Sorry Earthling.
    You stirred the sentimental os pot. :rolleyes:

29. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Private message sent on that.
    Surprised you never tried Partition Wizard, as I have had varying success in rolling back partitions with that, and got very lucky with one laptop in getting rolled back a few times to get the factory condition back.

AtlBo likes this.
  30. Earthling

That's what I was using. First time I've ever had an issue using it.

AtlBo likes this.
  31. Earthling

Too true! Just A word of caution to anyone thinking of doing anything similar. If your starting point is a pre-service pack XP or Vista disk, you will not be able to progress unless you have a second computer available with an up-to-date OS and browser able to download the service packs and other software you will require. Hardware limitations of older systems too, particularly inability to boot to USB, will present further difficulties. However it is possible as I now have two fully updated systems, XP and Vista in dual boot, and can relax in the safe knowledge that Microsoft has no intention of doing anything that might upset the situation. :eek:

baklogic likes this.
  32. Eldon

And now you must go back to post #21.
    First link... :D

AtlBo likes this.
  33. Earthling

Don't think so Eldon - this is a trip down memory lane, not an XP revival ;) Interesting that operating with NO AV in either system MBAM scans have yet to find even as much as a PUP, though I did say I would be visiting only trusted sites.

AtlBo likes this.
  34. Eldon

As a test I ran Windows XP without any security software.
    I'm still waiting... :rolleyes:

AtlBo likes this.
  35. Earthling

Yet more proof that the best AV is what you have between your ears.:D

AtlBo, Eldon and baklogic like this.
  36. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have K-Meleon brouser on my Oracle VM in Windows 8.1 - works well

AtlBo likes this.
  37. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

A very true statement, AV's simply protect the 'Click Happy' average user and even then, they are not foolproof.

I know I'm only saying what you already know but.....the real dangers will be found in the future, perhaps when Windows XP users suspect them the least. Its a fact that any new vulnerability discovery, cannot be fixed.
    If your XP machine is hooked to your network, any infection afflicting that system will spread to others...if isolated from a network (both the Internet and public networks), it's reasonable to expect that the machine could function infection-free for quite some time, providing you have sufficient matter between your ears as stated.
    If you come into contact with an infected CD, DVD or USB you could be in trouble.
    Remember the conficker worm back in 08?
    A mate comes over with a usb stick containing his holiday snaps for you to see???

Look....It's unlikely hackers are about to launch a doomsday attack on XP machines any time soon, but just be careful about storing sensitive info on these machines, especially in documents or plain txt file.
    Online banking and credit card transactions should be a big no, no!

Zero-day exploits are increasingly dangerous also.....you might say your still waiting, but you wont even know you have been compromised.

Its a great experience to go back in time and reminisce, just be aware that's all and don't fall for any prompts asking you to update software from the supplied URL, but you guys already know this!

Good Luck :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Earthling likes this.
  38. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Anyway I'm off to book my holiday flight......I booked a seat in the Black Box flight recorder.
    Its the only thing they ever find in tact!
    Hehe ;)

39. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I meant to say the Oracle VM has XP installed, and the K-Melion brouser is used on that.

AtlBo likes this.
  40. Earthling

Totally agree with Replicator's post. Yes, experienced users do know all the risks, all the dos and the donts and so on, but it's still so very easy to become complacent, with possibly serious consequences. However my feelings are that a computer without a network connection is about as interesting as a last generation typewriter, and simply not worth wasting my time on. So this machine will be going online from time to time, but it will not be configured as part of my home network and all the machines here will have available restorable images which pre-date this XP/Vista setup as no AV could ever compete with restoring a clean image. And only sites I trust will be visited and that won't include any financial sites at all :eek:

Replicator, Eldon and AtlBo like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds