New Phone A Sony Xz1

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Hardware' started by DavidGP, Dec 2, 2017.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Contract up on 10th Dec and can get free upgrade so as took yesterday off work, I know the docs in work for our friday review panel will be lost without me!

But did alot of shopping and took parents out so they did alot of xmas shopping,went back to large shopping area as wanted something to do so NEW PHONE! settled after a month of looking at the current suspects and the Sony XZ1 jumped out as I have a Sony L1 as a spare (mainly for car app) but just loved the options and spec of this phone https://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/xperia-xz1/

Other runners
    iPhone X = hahahhahaha price and price of monthly contracts (really £
    Nokia 8 = close but not really enough new apps
    Google Pixel 2 = just a 5" screen and was contender
    Samsung S8 = older tech and did not like the feel, slippy!
    Huawei P10 = just didnt think enough new features

But today trying to get same apps and options I used on my windows phone (Microsoft 950, still using this as a spare with cheap SIM) as TBH its really good still, just missing many apps like banking and NFC pay like Android Pay, Waze, Whats App on android is brill.

Eldon likes this.
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Enjoy!

I was soooo glad I had a smartphone last night. We were on our way to a hardware store in the country. We saw something we wanted, they had it in stock (much cheaper than on Amazon $1.99 versus Amazon's price of $6.50) so my husband called made sure they had the item and told them to pull and hold 2 of them.

About 2 miles from the hardware store we had a blowout. The side of the tire looked like it had been slashed with a knife. Fortunately with steel belted tires you don't lose control when the tire blows out.

I called for road service, which can be done on a dumb phone which my husband always carries in the car. But then we wanted to call the hardware store to let them know we were coming but delayed. I fired up a browser and was able to see how late they were open and grab a phone number for them. Something you can't do on a dumb phone.

DavidGP, Eldon and Imandy Mann like this.
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers and with a week or use its an awseome phone, didnt think it would take me long to transition from Windows Phone to Android, apps are brill and thats the thing with smartphones is you can do what you did plodr, they are so versatile past just whatsapp, facebook and twitter.

Just currently a bloody update killed an option in security SMART LOCK of location login auto, need to look into that issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds