Cleaning Desktop Hurts.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Anon-469e6fb48c, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

I hate the pain staking task of cleaning my desktop.I get cut in some way,Due to the fact i have a massive heat sink.I spent the last hour cleaning my GPU.I took it apart,And first thing i cleaned was the fan with a damp towel.Than i took the heat sink and rinsed it off in my sink to get rid of all the thick dust on the heat sink.

Than i took rubbing alcohol and removed all the 2 year old thermal paste and applied a fresh set.

Reason being heat issues.I was getting temps around 135 Fahrenheit which is about 57.2 in celsius.It jumped to about 160 at one point.Even with 5 fans running at 52,000 rpm.lol

I cut my hand about 3 or 5 times on my cpu heat sink.I hate that.

DavidGP likes this.
  2. Anon-469e6fb48c

This is with load.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 87 °F
    Deneb 45nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599) (CPU1) 76 °F
    Graphics
    MLT1921 (1440x900@60Hz)
    ELEFW2217M (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 101 °F
    Storage
    223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G ATA Device (SSD) 74 °F
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-11JC3T0 ATA Device (SATA) 70 °F
    Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS324 W ATA Device
    Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Looks like it is running O.K now - I would say, quite cool under load .
    What fan system have you installed - I would have thought a 100mm back and front.....?
    Sometimes airflow can be better with less, but larger fans....especially with a large heat-sink
    Long time since I built one, but that was the way I worked.
    Cable tidies ?
    No IDE cables (restricting airflow)- all sata cables....?
    At least 400 w psu, and fan inside not clogged ?
    Any Bios updates ?
    Just interested...........

4. Anon-469e6fb48c

All my cables are sata cables now.I can use serial ata on this board but the transfer rate is slow compared to the sata.

Well the AMD Phenom II X4 can get hot some times.Thus the reason for the after market cooler.

Here this is part of my list.

Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler With T.B.SILENCE PWM Twister Bearing Fan Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1150 and AMD FM2/FM1/AM3+

upload_2017-12-12_16-52-9.jpeg
    I have two fans on this both pointing out thought the exhaust fan.This is what cuts my hand most of the time.

And this setup
    Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case with High Airflow, Supporting up to Six 120mm Fans and USB 3.0

upload_2017-12-12_16-56-48.jpeg

There are two fan slots on the top of the case.One for the exhaust fan back and left panel.And Two fans on the front.

5. Anon-469e6fb48c

I never up date the bios unless needed.

6. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Just think about how much butter it will feel when it stops hurting :D

7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

What's the old saying?

No pain. No gain!

8. Anon-469e6fb48c

Yes but there are different kinds of pain.Being cut by the after market cooling stings a little.

9. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Wait 'till you pick up some salty French fries!

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I always check if there are updates on the Bios, as sometimes they fix problems - I always read up what thy can do ,first.o_O
    Cross flow can help when upmarket coolers are used, as although they help the cpu, they can be a little restricting for graphics cards.
    I would have thought extraction is good, but pumping air in from the front always seemed to work for me, and I seemed to get better airflow that way.
    Still, as I said, your system seems reasonably cool since you cleaned it.
    Wile e coyote- Need to keep them handy, next time you clean it:)

11. Replicator

Replicator MajorGeek

Nothing like a bit of pain to bring out the inner geek in you!

As stated, all seems to be running nice now......good work!

Lol.....mmmm, chili con carne!

12. Anon-469e6fb48c

My power supply is a modular 80+ 550 watt.So i can over clock a little

13. Anon-469e6fb48c

I do have the option for water cooling.But i don't want to deal with it.Because too much work to clean out the system.

14. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Next time......wait, I have to go poop!!

15. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

You need a plumber to sort out your shit. :oops:

16. TimW

I had the septic guy out here two weeks ago. May need to call him again. :)

17. Anon-469e6fb48c

Do you want the butt burner with that order.

18. TimW

Nah....mayo works fine!!

19. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I used to have that exact case, but I hear you on cleaning a PC, I know this holiday break I need to do my new one below, but I think its more a de-dust as its really well tidy inside re: cable management.

[​IMG]

20. Anon-469e6fb48c

Nice clean setup.

I wish my cables where that manageable.

I had to finally remove my first hard drive bay.It was not giving enough air flow.

It's all most like the case above picture.

DavidGP likes this.
  21. Anon-469e6fb48c

This is my current temp's after all the readjustments.

Operating System
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 91 °F
    Deneb 45nm Technology
    RAM
    Motherboard
    MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599) (CPU1) 81 °F
    Graphics
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 78 °F
    Storage
    223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G ATA Device (SSD) 76 °F
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-11JC3T0 ATA Device (SATA) 72 °F
    Optical Drives
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

DavidGP likes this.
  22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I always managed to fit a 200mm fan behind the hard drives,and it meant taking front panel off, but it did help the cross-flow of air.
    I believe you said you had to on the rear.

23. Anon-469e6fb48c

All my fans are 120 mm fans.

The hardest spots are the very top of the case and the rear.This mid tower case is kinda tight due to the cpu's big heat sink.

24. Anon-469e6fb48c

Ok here are the results my me cleaning and redoing my cables. I all so cleaned off the CPU thermal paste there was a lot of dust on it.So that was cleaned and new thermal paste added.I completely removed every thing and did a complete wash of the case.

IMG_20171222_182858.jpg

baklogic and DavidGP like this.
  25. Anon-469e6fb48c

Operating System
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 86 °F
    Deneb 45nm Technology
    RAM
    Motherboard
    MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599) (CPU1) 76 °F
    Graphics
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 79 °F
    Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-11JC3T0 ATA Device (SATA) 70 °F
    223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G ATA Device (SSD) 72 °F
    Optical Drives
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

26. TimW

You can come over and clean my house anytime!! :)

27. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Yep I am in the queue for some cleaning too......it will be quite a big job :rolleyes:......I have an i5 tower pc , two i7 tower pc, two 18" i7 gaming laptops, a 12bay NAS and two 7 bay NASs that all need cleaning as well as a big 3000W APC UPS with two extra daisy chain battery boxes. Summer is happening over here and I usually clean everything out before November but this year I was too busy with work so it is still not done and will have to wait until February :(............unless you have some spare time ;):cool:

Great job BTW and it is so important to have the cables out of the way and neat as this really improves airflow through the case. Cases that run the cables behind the mobo are really great for making a neat and tidy system so good case choice too:cool:

Currently I have one Thermaltake Global Urban s31 with HDD dock and two Fractal Design Define Silent Black R5 boxes and all these boxes have cable management behind the mobo out of sight :cool:
    Previously I had what I called The Behemoth which was a Swiftech water cooled i7 gaming box in a massive Antec 1200 case and with all the gear inside weighed over 60kgs so it had its own little trolley on castors..........it was a great room heater in cold weather but a PITA in summer lol :rolleyes:

baklogic likes this.
  28. DavidGP

Now that is nice and clean Wile and great job and TBH its worth taking the time to do, I did de-dust mine today, and actually not as much as I thought as most dust was caught in the sound proof spongy-stuff! the fan blades (which you can judge by the dust on them how bad a PC dust is) were clean.

Agree with Joffa, cable management is crucial as it stops areas of dead airflow in a PC, always like you have use the small holes in a cases mobo back to route cables if possible. NICE case Joffa, mine the Thermaltake Suppressor F51 with glass side, as mobo has funky lighting if you turn it on.

joffa likes this.
  29. Anon-469e6fb48c

I used a lot of Zip ties lol.

DavidGP likes this.
  30. joffa

Zip ties are the way to go but if you want it to look really fancy and really neat then get yourself some SpiWrap spiral wrapping
    https://www.amazon.com/Black-Inch-Polyethylene-Spiral-Wrap/dp/B004FV0YUG
    plenty of electrical supply places and automotive parts places sell it in short lengths for a couple of bucks for a few metres and the bonus is that it protects the wires from sharp computer cases plus you can reuse it on the next build :) :cool:
    The two most common sizes I buy for computers are 6mm and 12mm and for electrical work or thicker bundles of wire I use 25mm.
    I find the black coloured one to be the most flexible and the longest lasting and the black has also got a much better UV (ultra violet) rating than the white. I haven't seen the beige or light grey colours in stock at my supplier for several years so I think it might be discontinued or maybe my supplier doesn't stock it because nobody buys those colours :rolleyes:

DavidGP likes this.
  31. Anon-469e6fb48c

If you want bucks go hunting.

upload_2017-12-21_12-34-13.jpeg

32. joffa

I didn't get the clear side because all my computers have industrial noise suppression material glued inside onto the sides, the top and behind the front. My case has been "re-engineered" :rolleyes: to suck air through a big filter on the bottom then blow it out at the rear and all my computers are jacked up 25mm and they sit on little trolleys (about 75mm high including the castors) to keep them from sucking any dirt or fluff off the floor. All three computers and the UPS sit under my desk........I have a huge U shaped desk that is bolted to the studs of three walls around my office and the desk top has a shelf on top for monitors and printers and scanners etc and the shelf is mounted around two walls. My desk is 4m on the long side and 3m on the two shorter sides and the shelf is 4m and 3m.
    To give an idea of scale, I have a new 55" Samsung 4k UHD HDR TV that easily sits on the shelf (on its stand) across the corner of my office and there is still 100mm of shelf left in front of the screen to the edge of the shelf.
    I looked at a lot of cases before I settled on these ones and I have been very happy. Previously I used to mostly buy Antec or Silverstone but all the other case makers have caught up and are now making excellent products at half the price. Another surprise was the Fractal Design quiet series fans are very quiet...... a lot of fan makers quote low db numbers but in the test, the fan is only running at half speed. The Fractal Design fans run slow and with more torque so they still deliver the same air as other fans running at full speed making a lot more noise.
    Just an FYI opinion....I think you chose well Dave because I reckon the Thermaltake Urban case is a better design and layout than the Fractal Design ones although the Fractal Design cases are slightly quieter and this is important to me.....from the outside both types of case look almost the same lol ;):cool:

DavidGP and baklogic like this.
  33. Anon-469e6fb48c

I have come to the conclusion that my power supply is going bad.I will be going to best buy and buying a new one that is a EVGA 600 watt psu for around 50 dollars.Which is not a bad price for a power supply.

The system kept rebooting for karnel power error.This is my conclusion.I have ran over 40 test virus/malware/Pushing my system to the limit.Every thing else has passed the test.My temps are fine no issues.

I have even gone as far as resetting my bios jumper and battery and installing a new version of bios,Nothing worked.

34. DavidGP

I agree Wile, I looked at the Fractal Design ones too and took me 2 weeks of looking and reading reviews to decide and thought I chose ok, as only a slight whisper of air noise, I suspect its likely off the GPU, but quiet enough for me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds