No Network Connections

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Dec 12, 2017.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Last time I used my desktop PC (running Windows 10) I connected to the internet fine through my Wi-Fi router. Today, I logged on and no connection to the Net. Other devices were connecting so I checked the PC. It was not connected to the Net via my Wi-Fi router and said it could not detect any routers.

Windows offered me a Troubleshooter so I let it run without much hope. (I have never known one to resolve a problem yet.) The Troubleshooter completed and did not tell me anything. It made no claims everything was OK. It reported no problems and, of course, offered no solutions.

How can I get my PC to see my Wi-Fi router? Of all the things I connect to the Net this PC should have no problem with a Wi-Fi signal as the two are right next to each other.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Perhaps the wireless adapter has somehow been turned off. Have a look at change adapter options in network and internet settings, (Start > Settings > Network and Internet, or Change Adapter Settings in Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel)

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

It says that both the wireless adapter is disconnected and not present. However, I can find no way to change these settings.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go to device manager, uninstall it and reboot.

mark59 likes this.
  5. Earthling

If Tim's suggestion doesn't work you will need to connect it by Ethernet cable and update the wireless adapter driver in Device Manager

mark59 likes this.
  6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the problem.

7. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I shall attempt this but must first find my Ethernet cable (it is somewhere safe!) and will report back on whether it has resolved the issue.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  9. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

That is a very vague suggestion. I am not sure what I am looking at and what to do when I see the settings. Earthling has already kindly advised I look at specific settings, whereby I discovered that my PC is reporting that the wireless adapter is both disconnected and not present.

10. TimW

As his image attachment shows, you click on Wifi.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

My apologies if it appears vague- but I hoped a picture of the settings available may be a further help to the directions Earthling gave.
    As TimW says- look down the list on the left and click Wifi .

12. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I see no image attached to the post.

13. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

It seems there may be some confusion. You've posted an attachment and Tim has seen it. I have no idea why but I cannot see an attachment with your original post. May I ask you to re-post the image and I can use it to attempt a fix, thanks!

14. TimW

Post #8

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Net settings below

Attached Files:

16. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thank you for re-posting the image, which I now have. I attach, to this post, a screenshot of the similar page on my affected PC. As you can see I lack several options on the left you have, notably Wi-Fi. Net Settings.jpg

17. TimW

What make and model and OS is this PC?

18. Earthling

Can you post a pic of Device Manager > Network Adapters Mark?

19. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hewlett Packard

s5770uk-m

Windows 10

20. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Yes, of course. Please see attached image.

Attached Files:

21. Earthling

Thanks. Your PC definitely has a wireless network card but it isn't showing in Device Manager or in network settings. Either it has failed or it isn't making a good connection with the main board, see pic. You can open it up and try reinserting it or take it to a repairer. If doing it yourself take proper precautions against static discharge.

Capture.PNG

22. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I am going to show my ignorance here. Until I get this network card problem resolved will this PC be unable to connect to the Internet or only unable to connect through a Wi-Fi router? For example, if I follow your earlier suggestion of connecting the PC and router physically with an Ethernet cable can I have Internet access?

23. TimW

Probably ... get your ethernet cable out and test it.

24. Earthling

It should work, as Tim says, but do make sure the Ethernet adapter is enabled - see #16

25. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I plugged it in and it worked.

26. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I did wonder whether plugging the cable in alone would was enough. It was. I infer from this the Ethernet adapter is enabled.

27. TimW

Yes, but your WiFi card is probably dead.

28. Earthling

If you really want WiFi back you don't necessarily have to use a repairer, you could purchase a USB wireless adapter. They are not expensive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds