Usb Headers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-fe04a256cf, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Anon-fe04a256cf

Anon-fe04a256cf Anonymized

The one thing everybody says about Building PCs is putting the little USB Wires that go from the Tower to the Motherboard USB Headers.

And I have very very bad eyes.

I thought I saw one time that there is a Motherboard out that comes with a Little USB Block. And you would Plug the USB Wires from the Tower into it in your Hand.
    Then the Block goes onto the Motherboard Headers the Pins.

I hope I am telling this right.

This would be so easy and good for me.

Can anyone help?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

A motherboard usually has one or more USB headers. It's a connector with 9 pins. The tower case usually has 2 USB ports at the front - they are connected to a USB header.
    You'll have to check your motherboard's manual to see how many USB headers are available.
    Here's a picture of 3 USB headers.
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-USB-headers

3. protozone

protozone Private E-2

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Not all those little wires from the case to the motherboard are USB. As other said (most cases) come with headers - little plastics plugs where all the USB wires are grouped and keyed so you can only plug them in one way. I have had a case, long ago, where all the USB wires were individual, but I have not seen that in a long time.
    The wires you might be looking at are for the power switch, hdd light, power light, and reset switch. While the Q-connectors are cool, not all mobos are the same, that is why those wires are split out. Best you can do is read the manual (or it may be screened on the mobo) and use a magnifying headset and a hemostat (small pliers) to put them on.. I do. Sometimes it is easier to put the wires on before screwing down the mobo.

5. Anon-fe04a256cf

Anon-fe04a256cf Anonymized

I am sorry I did not ask in the right way.

I know some of the little wires coming from the Tower are for the Power Button and so on.

But I am talking about the Towers that have the 2. USB Ports on the front like you say.

The little Wires coming from the USB Ports on the front of the Tower have to go on Certain USB Header Pins on the Motherboard.

And I think some Motherboards come with a Plastic Block that you can put the Wires into first to make it easyer and the just put the Block onto the USB Header Pins on the Motherboard.

Is it just Asus Motherboards that give this Plastic Block or do others?

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think there is some misunderstanding. Connecting the USB cable from the case to the motherboard is not hard. The little wires are NOT separate (unless your case is VERY old). They go into a connector that can only be inserted one way. I wear tri-focals so my eyes aren't the best either. Good lighting is what you need.

The bigger problem I have is my own hands get in my view. Good eyes don't help with that.

Now connecting the case's front panel power, reset and LED connections can be a challenge because those often are separate wires. But I note with my recent builds (at least with Gigabyte boards), the motherboard comes with a little adapter like this you first connect the case's wires to. This is easy because you do it outside the case where you can see what you are doing. Then you plug that adapter with the attached wires into the motherboard header (which again, only goes one way). Very nice, and easy.

7. foogoo

So, from the front case you have a bunch of loose USB wires - usually red, green, white and black? The should be maked on the ends pwr, data+, data-, and gnd. Then if the mobo has a key USB header this is the standard pin out - the first 2 pins are voltage (red) then next 2 pins are data -, next data +, then last 2 black - ground. Keep them paired correctly, you can't plug them in willy-nilly, there is a USB 1 and USB 2. Can you post pics??

Attached Files:

8. foogoo

You could try header extensions from here https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11417 (one pin to large) as long as the pins are not surrounded by plastic, or go to Ebay and search for USB Q connectors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds