Windows Update Won't

Discussion in 'Software' started by fizkowie, Jan 22, 2018.

1. fizkowie

fizkowie Private First Class

I broke my computer so hubby graciously gave me his - only problem is that it will no longer update with Windows Update. Running Win7 Home Premium. Anyone willing to help the hopeless?

Tammy

2. Here's a link from Microsoft that could help you. Let us know your progress. Best of luck.

HumbleServant1611

3. fizkowie

I finally got the page to open but I can only see small, red "x"'s where the instructions are.

4. I’m not sure what your referring to could you please clarify what page it is you are talking about? Thanks

HumbleServant1611

5. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

I may be wrong but I don't think Windows 7 is doing updates anymore.

6. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Can we help you fix yours?

7. Microsoft only supports Windows 10 now but depending when the computer was last in operation it could still get some of the last updates Microsoft has on their server and driver updates if any for hardware.

HumbleServant1611

8. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Win 7 is supported until 2020 and is updated once a month.

HumbleServant1611 likes this.
  9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

10. Geek_Justin

Geek_Justin Corporal

Thanks for the correction Earthling.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Check in the update history to see when it was last updated.

I have Windows 7 (Home Premium and Pro) auto updates turned off. Too many problems. Towards the end of the month, I go to the catalog and download the updates and install them manually. I've been doing this since Nov. 2016. I have each month's updates archived on a USB stick.

IE 11 offers a Cumulative Security only update monthly so January 2018's updates would include everything since Nov. 2016. You would not have to install all the previous IE 11 updates.

MS offers monthly updates for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 every month.
    Windows 7 with SP1 (with no service pack there will be no updates) will be updated through Jan. 2020 and Windows 8.1 (but not 8) will be updated through 2023. I'll need to search for the month.

If the computer doesn't have SP1 that could be the reason that update isn't working. So the first thing would be to download and install SP1.

12. plodr

To see if it has SP1, right click Computer and select properties. The top of the window that opens will have that information.
    properties.jpg

13. fizkowie

Well, I was able to download the 2 manual updates - thanks Humble Servant for that. After that, I ran update again and know that not all updates were installed - will have more info once I get back home but thanks to all.

14. fizkowie

15. Thanks for the correction. I haven't used W7 for a long time but that's good they have some support. It still it is one of the best OS's they came out with.

This would be your next step here, without this there will be more trouble ahead. If this is the case here is Link with all the instructions.

If you do have SP1 you can go into your Update History and look at all the KBxxxxxx numbers that failed and type them into the Catalog website and download and install them manually it may be daunting but it is an option.

You can also look through this link for possible solutions if all else fails.

HumbleServant1611

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  16. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

HumbleServant1611 and plodr like this.
  17. fizkowie

Thanks so much All!- it is able to download and install much better now. I will try and install of the the failed updates. It is running much faster now too but it does seem like the fan runs constantly but beggars can't be choosers.

BTW - I do have SP 1

18. fizkowie

I ran something called Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and everything looks ok except that I got a notice that my drivers aren't compatible with Windows 7. I attached a screen shot - any advice?

Attached Files:

19. plodr

I don't run programs that look over drivers.
    Go to the manufacturer's page. Type in the exact model number then select Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit - whichever is installed) and download the drivers.

It's good to have them archived if the computer didn't come with a drivers disk or have a utility that you could burn a driver's disk.

Install the AMD M860G ATI mobility radeon 4100 driver that the manufacturer shows.
    Be sure to not install drivers that MS includes in updates.

This is what I found, though I'm not sure if it is for your laptop
    Driver Date: 7/29/2009
    Driver Version: 8.634.1.0

HumbleServant1611 likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds