Here We Go Again.......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joffa, Feb 15, 2018.

1. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Nice thought Laura :cool:
    If the NRA participated in a positive way then I think it would earn them a lot of respect from their opponents but sadly I don't think that will ever happen as the NRA oppose any change to the status quo and it will come down to the government having to legislate but when that will happen is anyone's guess :(

I totally agree Laura that it is inevitable but how many more have to die is the leading question and then will they only make insignificant changes so it appears they are doing something :rolleyes:

2. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I am hopeful that a movement has started. It is wonderful to see students stand up and speak out. Yes. It will happen again until people vote out the lawmakers who are owned by the NRA

3. joffa

4. oma

oma MajorGeek

5. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Need one to say more??????????????????

What does that mean?
    Here's some kid's causing havoc on their own. No adult's with AR's. Need to control the students with problems as much as adults.
    \
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/17/us/other-school-incidents-since-florida-shooting-trnd/index.html

Here's another closer to home -

http://www.mypanhandle.com/news/third-panhandle-student-charged-with-school-threat/985340976

And another -

http://www.mypanhandle.com/news/ocs...-with-making-school-shooting-threat/985067673

And another -

http://www.mypanhandle.com/news/bcs...fter-making-school-shooting-threats/984987945

A lot of kids having identity problems, or crying for attention, or not having any guiding light. Problems this early in life with no resources to deal with it or straighten it out, and just progressing further down the road to destruction unless caught by some chance of luck. What would any one of these youngsters be capable of 10 years from now. We have all heard the term before. What if any of these kids just 'fell through the cracks'!?

Check out the picture in this story of what was found after a threat out in California. Two AR-15's plus (90) high capacity magazines. These are only the ones found!

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-whittier-school-shooting-plot-20180221-story.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2018
  6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I wasn't keeping count, but IIRC there were at least three investigated threats reported and in each situation, authorities found AR-15's, one not registered and the owner is spending some time in jail. It just shows how prolific these "rifles" are.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

My dad told me early on that only a damn fool points a gun at anything he doesn't intend to kill.

oma, the mekanic and TimW like this.
  8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Build a world that doesn't need guns.

F***** morons.

oma likes this.
  9. joffa

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

There is always that risk, but a more accurate quote (one I have heard) is "Don't point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy (or kill)".

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I see where you are coming from, but you do not have all your freedoms when in school.
    I am sure the students can do as they wish after school hours. But yes, during school, they can be disciplined for not being in class, or disrupting the class. I am sure a note from a parent would allow for a day out of school, but some schools require a certain number of days of attendance to pass the class, the exception would be written doctor's excuse. Free Speech is a right, but so is the 2A, and guns are banned from most schools.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I found this like via the 'FaceBook', but I think if sums up how most 2A supporters feel Yes, it is an opinion piece, but if you are interested in reading how many people think, it might be interesting.

The rest is here: http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/06/6-reasons-right-wing-friend-isnt-coming-side-gun-control/

joffa likes this.
  13. joffa

Thanks for the insight Fred........a bit more perspective for me to absorb ;)

Oh and for the record, I am not against gun ownership per se but I am against the right to own some kinds of guns in a domestic/civilian situation. Specifically guns that have high rates of fire and have large magazines, as these are the ones that are most used in mass shootings. Unless you are maybe an elephant hunter then things like .50 cal weapons should also only be in the hands of the military or maybe specially trained squads in law enforcement.

Eldon likes this.
  14. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

My feelings exactly.

And leave the elephants alone! :mad:

joffa likes this.
  15. TimW

16. joffa

Sorry but I only used the elephant hunter as an example for the only reason for maybe having a .50 cal weapon....it is supposed to illustrate they are not needed as there aren't too many wild elephants in the USA ;)

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Interesting link Tim. I don't agree with most of it. :)

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Car to offer up when a .50 cal was last used in a crime? Ever wondered how fast someone could reload a gun with a lower capacity mag, like 10 rounds? How about a revolver?

I suspect we won't agree on much, except nobody is for dead children. If effective laws can be passed, I am for that. I don't like the knee jerk reaction like "we must do SOMETHING", when often the something will effectively do nothing to reduce gun violence. Look up the gubment stats on deaths from rifles, which Ar-15's are a subset of, and compare to DWI deaths, or even feet and hand deaths.

Look at deaths due to rifles vs hand and fists here. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....able_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2009-2013.xls

Is it the rifles, or the humans?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  19. Eldon

oma likes this.
  20. joffa

The only reason I keep mentioning .50 cal is they can be bought legally but there is no real need for a civilian to have one. If it is illegal to own rocket launchers and grenade launchers by civilians then why not .50 cal weapons too as the threat these weapons pose to law enforcement is too great.

re: revlovers....if you have to have handguns then I reckon revolvers are better than semi automatic because at least most revolvers only have 6 shots before reloading and yes speed loaders make the process faster but still not as fast as swapping in another clip. Most semi auto handguns have clips and you can easily get large capacity clips after market and having a bagful of loaded clips means you can unleash lots of shots in a very short time.

Another side issue I have with the USA system is anyone can buy armour piercing and other military grade ammunition........I haven't seen too many deer or boars wearing flak jackets.....unless you are calling the cops boars :rolleyes:

This is a distraction Fred and I think you know it unless you can show me a mass killing by hand and fist. Also if you are going to quote this nonesense then don't be limiting by saying death by rifles......if you are going to be vague saying hand and fists then why not also say guns..........I think we know why don't we.........because the USA has the highest number of deaths by handguns and this doesn't help the gun lobby arguments because total deaths by firearms is a much bigger number and yes handguns have been used in mass shootings so it is applicable.

21. TimW

According to the 2nd amendment, I have a right to "bear arms" ..... well, guess that means I can purchase a bazooka, a howitzer or a nuke. And just what is a "regulated militia" these days? The closest thing we have to a militia is the National Guard. So who are we protecting ourselves from? In 1789, we were ensuring ourselves from the possibility of the new tyrannical government. A U.S. army had not been established.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If you really want to end mass killings, you will need to ban people. From Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Jones in 1970 (cult leader, almost 1k died drinking poisoned coolaide..) The common denominator of mass killings is a crazy and or evil person. People have used gas, ovens, explosives, improvised explosives, knives, guns and biological warfare to kill large groups of people.

I find it just senseless to try to legislate laws that will supposedly prevent a mass killing by restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. And yes, we have guns we don't "need: just as many people have cars that are faster than they "need". Many of us on this site have more computer power than we "need". The US has many freedoms, and trying to legislate against a crazy/evil person is not sensible.

And as to armor piercing rounds, almost all hunting/rifle rounds are "armor piercing" due to the velocity, not by design.

We should try to "do something", but perhaps we should look at the real problem, which is people, not an inanimate object. None of my guns have even tried to kill a person. In fact, around 300 million guns are in the US, and most of them do not misbehave. People however do.

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

How many other countries have the freedoms the US has? You can bring in all the distractions you want, the thing is, people kill, not inanimate objects. And evil/crazy people can be very creative, as they have all throughout history.

24. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

A lot do. This idea only the USA has freedom is risible.

Sonny Bono was killed by a tree. Unless you live in Narnia or Middle-earth, they're inanimate.;)
    People kill with inanimate objects. Inanimate objects designed for the purpose of killing people are called weapons. The most effective personal weapon is the gun. The easier the weapon they choose, the less creative evil/crazy folks have to be to kill.

For those still wondering, nothing will happen yet again. People love their guns and if a classroom full of kids has to die on occasion as a result, so be it. Freedom isn't free. It has it's price.

joffa and oma like this.
  25. TimW

Justice Burger.jpg

joffa and oma like this.
  26. TimW

There is a huge difference between a hand gun wound and a wound from an AR-15. For most physicians, the hand gun wound is repairable, where as the AR is not. The velocity of the AR is very much higher than a hand gun, which causes a concussion to the tissues surrounding the path, making it mush! It is not survivable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...land-should-change-the-debate-on-guns/553937/

joffa likes this.
  27. oma

oma MajorGeek

joffa likes this.
  28. Eldon

In almost half of the deadliest mass shootings in the US semi-auto rifles were used.
    It's not a 'distraction', it's a fact!

29. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

joffa likes this.
  30. joffa

Imandy Mann likes this.
  31. oma

oma MajorGeek

32. oma

oma MajorGeek

33. Imandy Mann

34. TimW

35. Imandy Mann

36. Imandy Mann

And where does the NYT info come from? I do notice a note at the bottom of the article:

Finally, why are our numbers different from those in Bret Stephens's column on the Second Amendment? Because ours include money the N.R.A. spends on behalf of candidates, in addition to money it gives directly to candidates.

Eldon likes this.
  37. TimW

The NRA not only gives direct donations to candidates, but also buys advertizing for them. As well as advertizing against their opponents.

oma likes this.
  38. Imandy Mann

39. Imandy Mann

Then we can't be led to believe a candidate has 3M$ to work with. Does the candidate even know that total?

40. TimW

"the NRA has spent $203.2 million on political activities since 1998."

oma likes this.
  41. TimW

42. Imandy Mann

203M since '98 still doesn't seem like much spread between all candidates and for every year since 20 years now.
    10M a year. That must be on the low range of donors as a whole for both or all 3 or 4 parties.

43. TimW

Scroll down and see that they spent $57 million in 2016.

oma likes this.
  44. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

45. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Union donations to Democrats. In one year.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/99103-unions-100m-to-save-the-dems

46. Eldon

Fred, we are discussing mass shootings involving semi-auto rifles in the US.
    Not hands and feet or for that matter trucks in France...

oma and TimW like this.
  47. TimW

48. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What is your point? Ban hands and feet? Excellent idea, Fred. Guns don't kill people. People with guns in their hands kill people. No hands, no shooting. Problem solved.

oma and TimW like this.
  49. TimW

Dick's Sporting Goods has increased age to 21 and stopped carrying assault type rifles.

oma likes this.
  50. joffa

At last....someone doing something......... other than just sending thoughts and prayers which is really a sweet f*#k all response.
    Dicks Sporting Goods deserves praise for being a responsible industry leader and being prepared to do something about assault rifles even though it will probably hit their bottom line. Kudos :cool::cool:

oma likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds