Has Wireless Internet Caught Up With Wired?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fred_G, May 26, 2024.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

My wireless router died, got a new one. Today upgraded the wired to Cat 6. My wireless speeds, as given by SpeedOf.Me are almost as good as my wired speeds. iPhone for wireless, wired PC for wired speeds. New wireless router was supposed to have higher speed wireless... So has it caught up?

My iPad, well, it is still slow... Not sure why.

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Wireless technology has improved over the years but is not yet fully up to the same speeds as wired. This is due to things like interference, signal strength, etc.. Chances are that your home router creates two Wi-Fi networks: a 2.4 GHz (gigahertz) one and a 5 GHz one. The 2.4 GHz band has a longer transmission range but offers slower speeds. The 5 GHz band covers a shorter distance and provides the fastest speeds. Suspect your iPhone is using the 5 GHz band and your iPad is older and only uses the slower 2.4 GHz band, but it could equally well be bandwidth hogging apps.

the mekanic and Fred_G like this.
  3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Could also be the CAT of each device as well........

4. A1phaG33k

A1phaG33k Private First Class

The one thing wireless will always have issues with is latency. But that will only matter if your a gamer, or on something where micro secs count.

the mekanic and Fred_G like this.
  5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You're not comparing your wired to your wireless when you use an Internet speed test site - that is why they are similar.
    The only thing I come up with would be pinging the gateway of the router from the different devices, still you're not likely to see that big a difference until you are transferring large amounts of data.
    The version of CAT cables, the speed of the NIC you are using is also limited to what the network device is capable of. Do you have a 10/100/1000Mbps devices? 2.4 GHz WiFi will support up to 450 Mbps or 600 Mbps, while 5 GHz Wi-Fi will support up to 1300 Mbps.

6. xrobwx71

xrobwx71 Private E-2

I get a little above my paid speed of 2Gb on wired and I get around 600Mb on wireless via 5 Ghz.

Of course these vary with times of day.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds