Win7&11/64: Gadgets Don't Auto-appear

Discussion in 'Software' started by HarryPotter, Oct 1, 2024.

1. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

Hi! I have some gadgets on two computers as mentioned in the subject thanks to somebody here. I like them, even though I admit I don't use them much. I've been fiddling with settings and like when disabling the sidebar that its background is transparent. Now, at first, I had it set to auto-appear (vocab. check requested!), but then it stopped, and I can't find the setting. Where is it?

2. DangitallRedux

DangitallRedux Private E-2

It might help if you were to add to your request what the "gadgets" you're having problems with are...or am I missing something obvious to everyone but me?

3. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I'm talking about the gadgets that came with Windows Vista but were discontinued by Microsoft due to security issues. I asked about them here recently and got a link. The thread should be easy to spot. I'm talking about all the gadgets I have installed on two computers except for one, and I can't figure out how to get that one to hide. I have them located at the right edge of the screen and want to access them as needed but hidden otherwise. I've been doing that with the Windows taskbar since Win98 and like the extra space. :)

4. DangitallRedux

Okay, which OS are you currently running? Hopefully not Vista.

5. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

6. DangitallRedux

With Windows 11, I'm running ExplorerPatcher, RetroBar, and OpenShell. You MAY have some luck with the first one, but be aware that the MS A-V doesn't like it. You can set an exception for it in Windows Security, though.

7. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

Uhh...can you describe those to me, please? :)

8. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

BTW, I don't have MSAV.

9. DangitallRedux

I believe all three are available through MajorGeeks. ExplorerPatcher "fixes" a number of Win11 problems, including an option to place the weather widget back on the taskbar. RetroBar gives one more options for taskbar-related things, and OpenShell does a number of things for the Start Menu and File Explorer.

By the way, if you are running Windows 11, you do have the MS A-V (anti-virus); whether you choose to use it or another program is entirely up to you, of course.

10. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I'd better check out OpenShell. Thanks! :)

11. DangitallRedux

I hope it, or one or both of the others, gives you what you're looking for.

12. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I did not try OpenShell yet, but I want to. BTW, as I said, I like gadgets and want to use them, but right now, I have to minimize at least most of my windows to access them. I honestly forgot where that setting is but know it's there, as I had it set before. :(

13. DangitallRedux

Would Windows key + D do the trick? If you're looking to access them through, around, or over existing windows, I don't know that I can help. If they're on an auto-hide taskbar, though, you should be able to hover the mouse over it's location and have it come out from whichever edge you've got it on...or have I missed something?

14. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

I've been doing that. At first, it worked, but now it doesn't :( BTW, I do sometimes use Windows+D when I'm desperate for other things.

15. DangitallRedux

I used to use multiple taskbars, back in Ye Olden Days and, every now and then, something would come along and screw one of them up. Have you tried deleting your problematic taskbar and recreating it? Possibly after running a registry cleaner and a restart?

16. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

The task bar is not the problem: it's working fine. The problem is some gadgets I have at the right side of the screen. BTW, I forgot all about multiple task bars: I think I had them a long time ago. Somebody here gave me a link to the gadgets online. I'll now look for the link and post it here. :)

17. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

18. HarryPotter

HarryPotter MajorGeek

BTW, I have on my Win98SE computer and had a long time ago on another Win98SE computer a program called AppPlus. It is like the task bar on steroids. If you have Win98, Google it and try it out!

19. DangitallRedux

The name AppPlus rings a bell. Unfortunately, my last Win98SE machine was lost long ago.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds