Vista Transformation Pack has Trojan

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete22, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Pete22

Pete22 Private First Class

I just downloaded it, and then scanned it with Avg it said all was well. I then tried to install it. Avg then came up and said it had a Trojan horse Agent. AXNF.

:eek

Is it really true?

Can the download be fixed so it doesn't have one?

And then can some onehelp me delete the trojan?

:confused

Pete

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

From where did you download the Vista Transformation Pack?

3. Pete22

I Downloaded from Major Geeks.

I think the 2nd Texas site.

Does that help?

:confused

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Sometimes antivirus programs incorrectly identify legitimate software as malware. I'm betting on this being a 'false positive'. AVG has a heuristic file scanner which looks for files which carry out suspicious actions like replacing system files, even if they are not known malware. The transformation pack is altering Windows system files (shell32.dll is the file that has the XP icons you want to replace with Vista icons). This is an activity which trojans are known for.

I just downloaded it and checked it with Avast! antivirus and it came up clean.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

I would be thinking same as Just Playin as this transformation pack has been around along time with no issues, whereas AVG has been suffering from some False Positives of late and as mentioned changing the original system files in what these packs do can flag up malware to some AVs..

Personally if you want the Vista look get Vista as the Transformation Packs can at times add their own issues, crashes and glitches to your PC, so before installing make sure you backup your important files, docs and settings as better safe than sorry, for changing core system files can casue issues with various setups, while some it works fine, with others they do not.

6. Pete22

Thanks to you both. I would have to agree, now that I think about it.

So nice to get the answer that all is well.

:celebrate

7. Pete22

Oh oh. I may have spoke too fast. I went in to add/remove programs and it will not load any programs at all. I waited 10 minutes and still nothing.

So now what? :cry

8. Pete22

I will try a reset point.

Maybe that will work.

9. Pete22

I think that did it. Oh I'm done with that now. :innocent

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Pete

Glad all is well now with that PC, its why I mentioned using skinning application packs "can" at times cause various issues on PCs, its the nature of changing core system files that can cause an compatability problem with various system applications as well as 3rd party applications.

While I went through a phase many many years ago of skinning my OS, was doing it manually bit by bit, but in the end chose to have a stable PC over one that looked like another Windows version.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds