A new person to MG but not new to forums

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by Ohsteve, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Ohsteve

Ohsteve Private E-2

Hello every one. I found this place thru trying to find and solve a problem, it was recommended by another tech support. I have just recently finished building and installing to a new computer for me. I have an electronics backround, and have repaired, played with, just about every thing that I get my hands on. However with increasing expansion of software, hard ware, and general lack of use I have found myself asking multitudes of questions I can't always get answers for. So with that in mind I am here to ask and hopefully get answers to fix some of my new software/hardware problems. I am not totally sure which forum to post in as some or most of these may have combo soft/hard ware faults.
    I will go ahead with first question here and if admin wish they can copy paste/cut paste it to the proper forum. Nice to meet you all in advance.
    Steve

1st Q. I installed two 1TB seagate SATAII harddrives and when I loaded OS (Vista ultimate 64) it asked me where I wanted it loaded in the zero or the one drive, I said zero but it came back with an error message,
    about not being partitioned or already being partitioned and then loaded. I don't know which one it loaded into and m not sure how to figure this out. But the one thing I have a problem with is that when I go to my computer I can only see a C: drive which has about 30GB on it now. When I go to system manager device it shows me two drives both the same #'s but when I outline and look at properties one says it is 1/0/1/0 the other is 0/0/0/0, I was told to partion the second drive but I am not sure how to do that either, and thought that you should be able to see it from having first drive partitioned. I know the drive is working cause i can hear it pwr up when comp is turned on, I know the data cable works, swapped it with the other drive. And when I disconnect data and pwr and check sys mngr I see only the drive that is 1/0/1/0 so am pretty sure it is there and working. On the old IDE drives all you had to do was install with connectors and pwr and then put anything you wanted into the drive...no partition. I hope someone out there is vista 64 smart, and this makes sense, and you can help. I was pretty good with XP pro on an HP Pavilion I bought six yrs ago and did some upgrades on but this Vista 64 with all the other stuff I got to go with it to give me what I wanted with room for expansion sometimes baffles my thick slow witted head...LOL. Thanks in advance.
    Steve

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's....please post in the software forum....you will get more views in that forum. :)

3. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

OHSteve, We are glad you came. This is the place to ask questions and as you can see you will be directed to the proper place to post if unsure. While you wait for replies check out the rest of the forum if you haven"t already.The group here are just great. You'll find a few.. well let's just say differentrolleyesLOL. But all in all,they are just enjoying life. So, Enjoy!

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Be nice now 'trucks.Don't want to have to sedate you again.;)

Welcome to Major Geeks Ohsteve.:wave

5. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, Ohsteve :wave, glad you have joined the bestest forum around ! If you have questions, you will get answers... ;)

6. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

7. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

:wave and welcome OhSteve!! Trust me, you will get the answer that you need in the software forum:) Good luck!!

8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Greetings! :)

9. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

power to the steves

10. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

Welcome to MG's!! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds