A newbie ready to learn

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by JK.driver, Oct 8, 2011.

1. JK.driver

JK.driver Private E-2

just wanted to say how great it is to find a website's forum that is EASY to read quite helpful. have read numerous postings and your tech support is A+++.
    GREAT JOB ;)

2. JK.driver

JK.driver Private E-2

I've tried searching for the problem i have, but nothing found. so here goes it:

Have a desktop running XP, SP3. my son went and changed the user account types. I was always the admin; son had limited access. Son also changed his password, which now is in/op and gain access to his account at all. When trying to enter "safe mode", window appears showing the drives that can be booted from; but NO info on admin account (from other material i've read, this has a master setting; "blank", no charachters at all). I'm wondering if there is a virus or malware issue going on. Keep in mind when I attempt any "admin" action, i'm denied.
    Any thoughts?

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Welcome aboard JK, I'd repost this issue in the software forum for more eyes as many folk don't check in here.;) Can your son still access the machine? Kids do the damnedest things!:-D

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Welcome to the "Family" .

5. JK.driver

JK.driver Private E-2

When I correct the problem, I will also password protect "safe mode" from what I've learned. He still will have his "limited access" acct, but will NEVER allow him again to do anything in my admin account, ie walking away to do something. Yeah, these kids today are sneaky devils.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Remember that even if you do password correct they can still reinstall the OS. My sons put the PC in the living room and used it as a family affair. I was a bad assed teen so I know.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds