At Wits End.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbaron, Oct 1, 2024.

1. rbaron

rbaron Private E-2

Ok, I getting desperate to fix my computer myself.

As stated before in another section of this site, my computer is acting up.

What I am wondering is can I do a clean install of system 10 and then from my backup of my C: drive reinstall everything except the Windows 10 operating system? Is that a possible thing to do?

If so is there a tutorial on how to do it somewhere here?

Thanks in advance.......

2. Goddess Bastet

Goddess Bastet First Sergeant

Not that I’m aware as such but you can run an in-place repair to fix Windows while keeping personal apps, programs & files which may be what you’re looking for.
    Download the Windows 10 .iso, mount it & run setup, follow setup instructions & ensure keep everything/keep personal apps & files is automatically selected - if not then do not proceed - continue with setup. The pc will restart several times.
    Once finished then check to see if the problem has been resolved.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. rbaron

rbaron Private E-2

foogoo....

Thanks, I will give it a try and see what happens.

Goddess Bastet...

I will try your suggestion after the above and let you know what happens...

Thanks for responding...

5. rbaron

rbaron Private E-2

It seems that doing the Powershell thing did nothing.

When I restart my machine, while the tray icons are loading up I am able to delete items from my desktop without any refresh immediately. So I stopped all my loading icons and turned on the ones I use one at a time. When I got to the iCloud, iCloud Drive, iCloudKeychain, iCloudPhotos, iCLoud Shared Albums, that is when things happened. So I have turned all of them off and it is working ok for now.

That being said, once in a while it will revert to how it was, ie: not deleting items until refresh, chasing dots never restarting the machine, etc.

So I am still at a loss for a permanent fix but thanks for all the help so far.

Rich

6. rbaron

rbaron Private E-2

Ok, I figured out what the problem was. When I restart my computer, the icons load up in the system tray. (The little box you see when you click the up arrow on the taskbar) all my files work fine. I can delete a file and it goes into the trash right away. I can go into the trash and restore the file and it goes back where it was. But when the iCloud App loads in the tray it all goes to hell. Everything above stops working. I delete a file and it stays there. I have to do a F-5 to refresh the screen, and it is gone.

So for me, that was the issue. The iCloud App was the culprit.

Thanks again to all who tried to help. Rich

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds