Backups onto 2 external HDD

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by jason.mackinlay, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jason.mackinlay

jason.mackinlay Private E-2

Hi,

Posting to the welcome centre because I am not sure if this is a backup or HDD topic, or in fact two!

I am trying to set up my first backup onto external HDD. I have two external HDD (Western Digital) with the plan to alternate them, so that I have a true backup that isn't connected to my system at all times.

Challenge is that after having setup the first disk I removed it and connected the second disk, the second disk came up as the same drive letter and the same network sharing/name details as if it were the first disk.

This won't work for my backup plan.

This is on a Windows XP SP3 laptop, connecting via USB.

Cheers,

Jason

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's!! :)

I suggest you post in the software section for this issue.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

As TimW mentions go for Software forum and start a new thread as I may have some thoughts on what to do with this.

4. frapper

frapper Private First Class

Welcome, Jason.

[​IMG]

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds