Best Mac

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by comperroruter, Jan 11, 2006.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I run windows but just for grins I went to Apple's site to look at their computers and decided to check out what their best would cost me. Over 500.00 a month is what their best would cost me. Over 20,000.00 is what their best would cost me. I really need to get a second job.

Now I am off to see what the best Windows machine would cost me.

Lastly, I will see what the best possible machine I can build would cost me.

Then, of course, I will cry.:rolleyes:

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The best Macs are yet to come when PPC is completely retired. Right now, only the former Powerbook and iMac are Intel based.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Hope you like waiting for software, unless your doing graphic and video editing. Go to any store and compare mac vs pc software, imho that is where using a pc is best, mosr choices.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Indeed. Although if you have a local Apple store, you won't be hurting for software at all.

5. JaimeSharp

JaimeSharp Private E-2

as far as macs are concerned i have used every single kind there is including the intel macs so far i like some of the features they have but would still prefer a quad core machine at the moment. and after speed tests which have been conducted by many places as i have done the quad core is by far the best mac at the moment.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The MacBook Pros arent going to even be shipped till Feb. Kind of making an assumption there.

7. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

$20,000 for a Mac? I hope you at least get fries with that! :eek: <Sorry, bad joke, I know!>

8. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

I'd say the best Mac would be the Big. Unless you're in France, in which case it would be Le Big.
    :)

9. JaimeSharp

JaimeSharp Private E-2

True that for retail the macbook pro's are not shipping till febuary but by being a senior member of one of the user groups in australia we got to try them during a demonstration

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Interesting. Haven't seen any real reviews online myself.

11. madscott

madscott Private E-2

Hey, I posted a similiar thread, and it got moved , what gives.? I actually wanted a PC perspective, not an apple perspective!

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Didnt really mention that in your post tho, having a quick look at it just now it was possibly deemed more appropreate for the MAC forum area, as your question was pretty specific "looking for opinions on Apple"

Alot of threads will be move out of the lounge if they are specific techinincal questions, depends on which of the admin/moderation team read them and pigeonhole them where the question asked may get a good responce, your question got a great responce from Adryn who uses both systems.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

As mntioned before, this thread wasn't like yours, which was completely technical. This one was a tongue in cheek kind of thing, where someone was comparing how much a fully pimped out Mac was. That and the thread existed before the Mac forum was even open.

I priced a 15k system from Alienware :p

14. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

yo adrynalyne, do u plan on getting one of the new intel based macs? if so, post some reviews about it. i heard its a hell of a lot faster especially boot up and stuff.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not for a while. Reasoning is because of what I posted in the other thread. Lack of universal binaries, and the video is still anemic. For all intents and purposes, OS X X86 is a new OS.

They are very fast from what I've read, but the price is still out there. I mean, I want that Macbook Pro really, really bad, but I can justify it after paying 2800 for a G4 Powerbook 6 months ago.

16. midimacman

midimacman Private E-2

Re: Best Mac is any mac.....and not necessarily the highest priced one either.

How about a perspective from a regular computer user. Not that I am biased unfairly though. I have used a PC, and microsoft I knew too well. And then I discovered a mac. And they don't pay me to say what I have to say, in fact I am probably invisible to apple macintosh, just another unpaid worker for their advertising department, and yet I have no problem in taking the time to share my personal experiences with you.

Macintosh really doesn't advertise. Not all that much marketing to outside folks that use windows for example. That is why you are in the dark perhaps, as I was before taking the initiative to check out a macintosh.

Really they aren't busy advertising, because they don't have to let the secret out. Or perhaps they don't have the time to do that and make such great hardware and software, that is practically perfect, and not Microsoft, although you can get about all the software you would find on a PC. No longer as expensive, when you aren't considering the newly released mac book pro. Just wait on that one. There are solutions for everyone of you PC users out there. And clearly you have problems. Not just little problems.....but major daily annoyances that must drive you up the wall.

PC users clearly love to tangle with virus software, and insecurity isn't a problem. In fact I am convinced that they love the Norton and Macafee, and all that work that goes into blocking this and that. Clearly I can't understand.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I made the switch to mac, because of the capability of the processor to handle larger files better, as I am a composer, and graphic artist. They were being used at my college, University of Colorado at Denver, so I though what the hell. Why not give it a try. So I dropped 1,500 bucks on a g4 dual 867 MHz, "wind tunnel" they later called it. And because it is so flipping loud, oh well can't have everything. I remedy this problem by putting my tower in a big closet, with plenty of circulation.

3 and a half years later I have this machine screaming, and literally, but I will swear by my mac!! No more viruses, or unnecessary .txt files, cluttered all over the drive, and better graphics, better audio, and the machine doesn't choke when I try and drag a big file, or open a lot of big files at once.

Not to mention Expose, which I can't even tell you how much of a wonderful thing it is, to have your windows move out of your way when you need for them to. And with dual displays that allow more workspace and millions of colors, not to mention applications like GarageBand, and Logic for audio sequencing, I can't even imagine the PC as an option for me, or the rest of the world.

I have converted the most loyal PC users, but that really isn't my doing so much. It is the product. Use it and you will see.

Best part of it all is that you can round yourself up a screaming little mac mini for about 500 bucks, that will just blow the performance of your PC out of the water. Trust me! Try it.

Not just artists, nor musicians can benefit and prosper by using a mac, no it is for the world who is sick of anti virus software, and pop windows in internet browsing, and horrified by windows media player, and Microsoft security updates,........not to forget about fatal exceptions, and driver conflicts......and buying a machine that will be obsolete right as you take it home.

Not my mac, even though it is a little noisy, (the model of G5 mac after my tower features a very quiet fan........), will make more creations, and surf more of the web, and mystify me once again each and every day. Still.

Really, you can disagree with me......but not until you try one out. What have you really got to loose? Viruses. Popups. Can you live without so many utilities running to keep your computer alive? Just wait until you don't have such nuisances. You may be able to concentrate on something like productivity.

Think about it.....and then try it!!!

My work made with macintosh starts here:

[​IMG]

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: Best Mac is any mac.....and not necessarily the highest priced one either.

Disillusioned isn't the right word for that. Just plain wrong is perfect. The Mac Minis don't even support the hardware acceleration to use the cool effects in OS X, like the ripple effect when you add a widget.

Apple's only advantage is OS X. ONLY. PCs surpassed Mac computing power long ago. PPC was awesome, back in the days of The Pentium 3, and early Pentium 4.

I've use both paltforms, and I like OS X better. The hardware has nothing to do with it, and lets face it:

The new Intel machines are noteably faster than their G4/G5 counterparts. That should say something ;)

Macs are just as bad. The Macbook Pro came out for the same price I paid for a G4 1.67ghz less than a year ago. A model was released before that as well. The only thing thats static about Apple is the pricing. It never seems to go up...or down.

18. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

The best mac is the one with the apple logo on the front... :p

19. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Double Cheeseburger with Bacon is the best MAC ;)

I've not used MAcs for years, last time was early days ( 90s ) of design work and photographic digital manipulation I worked in, then because of costs as in MAC vs PC ( hardware/software ) we migrated to PCs a in honesty there was no real difference we could see, apart from the repair costs.

Do I like MACs yes and hope the Intel MACs to bring the costs down... but for overall cost, ease of use and backup.. the PC is the better option IMO.

20. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Copycat! :p
    :D

21. JaimeSharp

JaimeSharp Private E-2

going to wait until febuary but the problem was i was waiting for ilife 06 but these machines didn't come with it and our local stores are not suppliying it yet so it it going to be basically what i know and what i have read on things such as iweb. but i personally don't feel the intel macs will be fantasic as we remeber with revision a of the g5 imac which were throtteled down due to heat issues.

i feel when they release the 2nd revision they will be much better they are a little buggy at the moment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds