Browser network error msgs seem to actually be casued by PC software?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by BadEnuff, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BadEnuff

BadEnuff Private E-2

Over the last several weeks I have consistently been getting the following error message at certain points within some websites when using FireFox 3.0.3:

“Connection Interrupted
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.”

When using Internet Explorer 6.0 I get the following error message at the same location I get the above error when using FireFox:

“The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings …”

Previously I never saw these errors and was able to connect to these websites without a problem. Unfortunately, I do not know what may have changed or what triggered this problem.

KEY COMPONENTS OF THE IT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE I AM USING:

1) AT&T (SBC) DSL in a home office environment
    2) Netgear RangeMax Wireless router
    3) Two-year-old Sony Vaio laptop running fully patched/current service pack Windows XP Professional
    4) Up to date Norton 360 anti-virus
    5) Up to date Paraeto Logic anti-spyware
    6) Firefox & IE as noted above

WHAT I HAVE DONE TO TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEM:

a) I DO NOT THINK THIS IS A NETWORK OR REMOTE SERVER PROBLEM BECAUSE: The problem ALWAYS occurs when I try to search for contractors (such as electricians) on Angieslist.com. As such, I fired up the Netgear router log and navigated to the point in the Angieslist site where I click on the “Search” button. Next, I cleared the Netgear log and then clicked on the Angieslist search button. I then refreshed the log and interestingly, the log registered NO TRAFFIC AT ALL. This leads me to think that the problem is with my PC hardware or software as my search request is not even reaching my router. Before troubleshooting the problem, I thought that it was a problem only with Angieslist.com. However, yesterday I tried to apply for a job and when I hit the send button after filling out a long form, and uploading my resume & cover letter, WHAMO! The same problem. I’m unemployed and can’t even apply for a job!
    b) I cleared out all my cookies and ran virus & spyware scans
    c) I cleaned up my hard drive and defragged it
    d) I cleaned up my registry with REG CURE
    e) I ran a CHKDSK and found zero files in bad sectors
    f) I booted up in SAFEMODE and got the same error messages
    g) I tried to connect wirelessly and wired and it makes no difference.
    h) I temporarily turned off the Norton firewall but it made no difference
    i) I checked that the Windows firewall is OFF. It is.

If anyone can figure this one out, it would make my week!

UPDATE: I got the same error message when I tried to upload a jpg to MajorGeeks for a custom avatar.

Thanks,
    Alex

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

welcome to the forums :wave

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I am sorry BadEnuff! Seems I butchered your name.:yum

That is what I get for trying to wash dishes, get the grill ready to go and have a few beers. Sorry, no disrespect meant.

5. BadEnuff

BadEnuff Private E-2

Thanks for the Welcome Kestrel13!

Fred_G no problem on the name (throw me one of those beers!). But in response to your suggestion that I should post the issue in the network section: I don't think it is a network issue since I do not see the search request make it to my Netgear router log. The message somehow is getting stepped on somewhere up the protocol stack in the PC - at least that's my theory at this point.

Thanks,
    Alex

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Your 2nd thread on this in the Welcome Center I have moved to Software forum here as its best area for assistance on this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds