DAT. files!!! HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by jonny_aces, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jonny_aces

jonny_aces Private E-2

I recently done a clean install with windows xp and now trying to open a controler text page but its a DAT file and cant open it. I know nothing and cant find a forum where someone else has had the same problem. Please help

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

i googled .dat files and this was an answer i got

[​IMG] DAT files (.dat)

DAT files are data files, usually comma delimited, that contain data in ASCII format. These files are able to be open in a variety of programs including Microsoft Word and Microsoft Notepad.

3. jonny_aces

jonny_aces Private E-2

thank you for your reply i will check them out. I just usually have never had to go to a program to open these types of files just click on them and they opened. Now the computer asks me what program I would like to use to open them with.

4. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

In most cases .dat files are stored data such as settings for a program or registration data or some type information. These are normal and it's best to leave them hidden and not mess with them because modifying or removing the wrong one could cause some problems.

Also, be sure you do not modify/remove "index.dat" or "ntuser.dat" because these are very important files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds