Data Migration

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by olazaba, Jul 4, 2006.

1. olazaba

olazaba Private E-2

Hello,
    I am new to this forum so bear with me.
    I bought a new computer and I need to remove files/programs from my old computer to the new one. How is it done?

Rodolfo

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

If the OS is XP, then use the Files and Settings Trasfer Wizard

1. Get the files and settings from the old computer:
    a. Click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    b. Click Next, click Old Computer, and then click Next.
    c. Select a transfer method, such as Floppy Drive or Other (such as a removable or network drive), and then click Next.
    d. Select the appropriate option for the items that you want to transfer:
    • Settings only
    • Files only
    • Both files and settings
    • Customize
    e. Click Next, click OK, and then click Finish.

2. On the New Computer:
    a. Click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    b. Click Next, and then click New Computer.
    c. Click to select the I don't need a Wizard Disk. I have already collected my files and settings from my old computer check box.
    d. Select Floppy drive or Other, depending on how you stored your files.
    e. Select Yes or No to log off of the computer. The new settings do not take effect until you log off.
    f. Click Finish.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds