"defrag cancelled - file inconsistencies"

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ddstiles, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ddstiles

ddstiles Private E-2

Neither defrag in WinXP nor defrag lite works. The message above asks for a CHKDSK run to fix the problem. CHKCDK runs after stating that "F parameter not specified - running CHKDSK in read only" It runs but fails to fix the problem. As a mere mortal I know not of what these people speak. Can anyone help?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q179820/

To work around this issue, use ScanDisk instead of Chkdsk to check your hard disk for errors. For information about how to use ScanDisk, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type scandisk, and then double-click the "ScanDisk" topic.

3. ddstiles

ddstiles Private E-2

Thanks for the erply - unfortunately ScanDisk "cannot be found". Is there someplace where I can get it and install it on XP?

4. Major Attitude

Did some looking into advanced command, oddly my next thought was to run "chkdsk /f" which specifies to fix errors. I then noticed the f parameter was not specified, so that might be it. I suggest making a backup because you may have a disk on the verge of failing if you have bad sectors.

5. ddstiles

ddstiles Private E-2

Thanks again - I downloaded Microsoft's live mainteance program and it coukld defrag (as well as doing a "changes only" backup. If it continues to work for me I'll buy the service.

6. Major Attitude

Not a fan, but to each his own.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds