Demonnews Malware From Games Link On This Site?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by BobbyZ, Dec 13, 2016.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Private E-2

I am new to the forums and I just clicked (about 7 PM EST 12-13-2016) on the second Games link in the category listings. The link appears to go to demonnews.com which my Norton program tells me is a dangerous web site. This of course was a big surprise

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

DavidGP likes this.
  3. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Private E-2

Did you click on the lower second games listing?
    When I do a mouse over, the pop up says it links to www.demonews.

4. Eldon

Yes.
    That's correct.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The site is fine, though I can't vouch for any 3rd party content there (or anywhere).

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I emailed the owners of MajorGeeks.

Demonews.com is owned by them and is safe.

Your Norton warning was a false positive.

DavidGP likes this.
  7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Is Norton ever right?

satrow and LauraR like this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Private E-2

I just chatted with a Norton agent and they insist that there are security issues with the site. So thanks for your replies, but I will just err on the side of prudence and avoid the site..

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

They'll say anything, without even checking, to try to 'prove' that their software is perfect.

Most of us here wouldn't touch Symantec/Norton products with a bargepole - scareware purporting to be security - not good.

Eldon likes this.
  10. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I created Demonews. Nortons says "security issues". Typical scare tactics of a person on the phone reading from a script. It's as safe as MajorGeeks :) But, we have plenty of games here, more hand selected and up to date

Gaming Insider and DavidGP like this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.
    What in your opinion would be the best replacement for Norton?

12. Eldon

DavidGP likes this.
  13. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

lol... ask 10 geeks and you'll get 10 different answers, and none of them will be norton.
    a lot of it comes down to personal preference and user experience over the years.
    i personally would stay away from bitdefender, every time i have tried it, nothing but problems.
    however, i do like vipre antivirus, it has worked well for me over the years.
    https://www.vipreantivirus.com/
    good luck with it.

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Demonnews has been around for years and a collective of offshoots of Majorgeeks, all are good as the owners and the volunteers admins on these sites are all geeks who have been around for many years, most since the 90s and would never associate with any bad sites. Anit-Virus apps are prone to getting things wrong and may just be a metadata word that it does not like, the agents on the phone in the man are reading from a script and really are not tech folk (sorry to those that are).

As for AV I use and have no issue with Microsoft Defender in W10 with Spywareblaster and Malwarebytes as backup free standing scan app, but main thing is where you surf and download from that will give you malware, also always backup and update Windows and apps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds