Driver for SIS 7012 Audio Device

Discussion in 'Software' started by GCWesq, Mar 20, 2009.

1. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

G'day. Help needed please.
    I think I'm looking for a SIS 7012 driver. Uncertainty is because the Device Manager says it should be a C-Media AC97 (but Everest says it's SIS). I have downloaded C-Media drivers and Realtek AC97 drivers with no result. I then read that XP Pro SP2 (which I have) sometimes mistakes audio devices for C-Media. So I then tried SIS 7012 drivers and still no good. They all give a Code 10 error and a yellow ! on teh Device Manager. The C-Media drivers come back every time I reboot.

Sound, Video and Game Controllers are:
    Audio Codecs
    C-Media AC97 Audio Device
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Mpu-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Standard Game Port
    Video Codecs

Sounds and Audio Devices Properties are:
    Volume - all greyed out
    Audio - Sound Playback and Recording - Modem #0 Line Playback
    Music Playback - MPU-401
    Hardware - much like Device Manager list, including C-Media AC97

I uninstalled C-Media drivers before installing other drivers (which I saved in folders on the desktop).

BIOS says: "AC97 Audio.....Enabled". All very confusing.

PC details are:

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2633 MHz (26 x 101)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8SG800 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 648
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (04/30/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    Monitor HP D8901 [17" CRT] (MY02500485)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Thanks Halo. This is weird. :confused It still didn't work after following your suggestion (thankyou)... :( but with a lot more messing around, it's now working.:celebrate
    I had actualy gone to that site and downloaded and installed the audio drivers - but not the chipset. So I did both this time, but same result. Tried several times and in various ways.

Eventually I came across a Realtek folder - already on the computer, similar to the one I downloaded yesterday, so I though, what the hey, I'll give that a go (I used the install file this time - I had been forcing it to accept drivers from folders before this). Guess what!! (Yes, it worked - after I realised I had to go to Sound and Video Devices and tell it where to look - I was able to get a CD to play before that).
    I then rebooted to make sure it would stick, and when I did it opened the Found New Hardware Wizard. So I pointed it to the Realtek folder I downloaded yesterday, and away it went again. It seems to have stuck this time.:)

So what's it all about, Alfie? (singing smilie - can't find one - Mimsy used one the other day)

The changes now are that the Realtek AC'97 Audio Device is listed in teh Device Manager (where the C-Media was before), and now Realtek appears in many listings in Everest, as shown below. Interesting thing is that it is still listing SIS 7012 as the Audio Adapter. Why? Why? Why? Do they just do that to make it tricky?:confused Or has some Realtek thing been installed that both transforms teh SIS device into a realtek device, and then tells you that it's neither of these, but it's a C-Media device. :confused

I suspect this also has something to do with the BIOS saying AC97....Enabled. Where does it get the AC97 from? Why doesn't it say SIS7012??? That's the integrated device, according to everything it says...

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2633 MHz (26 x 101)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8SG800 (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 648
    System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award Modular (04/30/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
    Monitor HP D8901 [17" CRT] (MY02500485)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Windows Audio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device Identifier Device Description
    midi-in.0 0001 0067 MPU-401
    midi-out.0 0001 0066 MPU-401
    midi-out.1 0001 0066 Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    mixer.0 0001 0068 Realtek AC97 Audio
    wave-in.0 0001 0065 Realtek AC97 Audio
    wave-in.1 0001 0050 Modem #0 Line Record
    wave-in.2 0001 0050 Modem #0 Handset Record
    wave-out.0 0001 0064 Realtek AC97 Audio
    wave-out.1 0001 0051 Modem #0 Line Playback
    wave-out.2 0001 0051 Modem #0 Handset Playback

PCI / PnP Audio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device Description Type
    SiS 7012 Audio Device PCI

4. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Emergency double post. Sorry.
    I just checked my other XP Pro computer (I found the one I'm working on at the moment - hard rubbish throwout - I think I can see why they threw it out), and it's set up the same way, except that it has ATI where this one has SIS.
    I think the real question now is, how would you know that you need a Realtek driver, instead of SIS or ATI? You can't tell until after you've installed it. Maybe that AC97 in the BIOS is teh clue???:confused

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi GC

AC97 is a defaulto standard acronym for Audio Codec 97 (and why 97 I hear you ask, well it was developed in 1997 by Intel) and has stuck around since, downside its a bit of a redherring as all makers of Audio Chips use these standards, just makes finding the correct driver at times harder, which is why if an OEM PC goto the makers site liek DELL, HP etc or if a SelfBuild then the mobo makers site as your likely to get the correct driver.

Why I mention going to the makers site is that the various makers of mobos and PC, in the majority of cases, customise the chips they use or spec from the likes of SIS, Realtek etc, so not always the case that like Nvidia or ATi driver that the Unified all in one , cover all makes of hardware... work.

6. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Thanks Halo. I think this is a case of 'dopey me'. After reading your previous post and purporting to follow your directions, I think I accidentally used the SIS audio drivers that I had downloaded earlier, instead of teh one you pointed to. I already had that one downloaded as well, but I think I got the two mixed up (they didn't have labels saying - you got this one from here and this other one from here.. and I was doing that at about 2 am, so that's my excuse). I've just spent half an hour trying to retrace my steps so I could figure out what went wrong. I think, in the end, if I had followed your instructions properly, I would have got it fixed straight away. "My bad." :-o
    Thanks again for your help, and explanation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds