email message

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by basher123, Jul 27, 2009.

1. basher123

basher123 Private E-2

hi, can anybody help, i recieved an email message "dont miss this check out ***domain name removed****.com, like a fool I did, and filled in my details, can this site be trusted

2. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Welcome to MajorGeeks basher!:major

A quick check on the domain name you provided does not look good. You should not open emails from anyone you do not know and most of all, never click the links in them.

My advise to you would be to head over to our Malware Forum and go through the Read & Run Me First to see if your system has been infected or otherwise compromised.

Follow the steps as outlined then start a new thread in the malware forum so you can upload (attach) the logs as requested.

Best of luck!

3. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Hey basher123 and welcome :wave
    You've come to the right place to ask that question and get it straighten out before there's too much damage if any.(I hope not) Those emails can cause a lot of havoc and destruction on a computer and a person. Listen to Abby as she is top notch here and knows her stuff. Have a look around when you get time. Enjoy!;)

4. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Welcome, basher :wave You are in the best possible hands to resolve any issues you have with your PC. MajorGeeks loves to help people like us, with problems to iron out. BTW, love the name. :boxing :-D

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    And you WILL get straightened out if needed.Hopefully it won't be neccesary

6. basher123

basher123 Private E-2

hi abbysue, thanks for the reply, im not so worried about the email, as it seems to infect hotmail accounts (have'nt got one), but i am worried that i navigated to the web site and gave personal details, ie email address & created a password

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would still run through the guide Abby posted and start new thread in malware part of our forum for the malware experts to see if anything else may have been attached to this link as some malware can be injected via just visiting a webpage.

On your email address sadly you are stuck with entering that one and what you may find is that you gain many more spam emails, personally I would be tempted to change to a new email address if possible or change your password to your email address (hoping you didn't use that ne while signing upto that site)

as for personal details if any of them where banking, social security, tax details etc then inform the relevent companies or gov depts to be on safe side.

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Be doing yourself a favor by doing as suggested.

9. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Welcome to MG, basher123 :wave You have come to the right place, and you also must learn to never open e-mail from anyone you don't know... Lord only knows what is in them... Do as Abby said, and hopefully they will get it straightened out for ya....;)

10. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Now then Basher :wave welcome to MG, you've come to the right place to get sorted, hope you do, in fact, there's no hope you do ! you just will, cos there's some right clever sods in here to sort your probs out mate ! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds