Finally Ditching Windows 10, Linux Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by calbluejames, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. calbluejames

calbluejames Private E-2

I am familiar with Linux and have used live distros in the past, but it has been a few years. Lately I have been using Windows 10, but I know that is a privacy nightmare and so I want to make a switch. I want to immerse myself in Linux and so I don't want a live cd, I want to install it on my hard drive and just completely get rid of Windows.

On my laptop I will pretty much just browse the internet, download the occasional torrent, stream videos, listen to music, and watch my local videos. I am looking for a distro that values privacy and will allow me to do all of the above.

My laptop has ran Windows 10 with no problem. I am using a solid state drive and it is pretty small, only 60gb. I have a 2.30 GHz dual core processor and the max 4 GB Ram installed.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

All of the Live Distros have the ability to install as well. Linux Mint LMDE would be my choice because you don't have to wait for the next major release to get updates but, in the end, the choice is going to be yours.

calbluejames likes this.
  3. calbluejames

calbluejames Private E-2

Thanks for the advice, are you familiar with Trisquel? I am leaning toward that one because I like everything free and have had some experience with ubuntu

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

calbluejames likes this.
  5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

calbluejames likes this.
  6. calbluejames

calbluejames Private E-2

Thanks all for the advice, I have decided to go with Linux Mint to get my feet wet with Linux.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds