First post - dumb question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by _Newbie_, Jun 13, 2007.

1. _Newbie_

_Newbie_ Private E-2

Hi guys. First off thank you to everyone on this forum as you are all very knowledgable individuals and I truly appreciate all your help and advice.

My first question, I admit it is a dumb one, but I am getting a new computer today and I really want to avoid using any torrent sites or downloading programs that may cause problems to my computer.

Okay now my question. When I download a program. Say Firefox or a Spyware program or anti-virus should I just run the installation and let it download and make its own files? Or should I download the files and install them in a new folder?

Thanks for your help guys!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI and Welcome

If you wish to avoid torrents and bad programs then you keep away from torrents aka peer2peer and warez websites and unknown download sites.

as for downloading and installing yes let those install where they default to which will be C:\Program Files you can install some in a different location if you wish if they have options for custom install, but you have no major reason to do this in the majority of times.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Just to add a small bit to what Halo said .....I do keep a folder on the desktop so that after I install a program, I can move the installation exe file into that folder so if for any reason I can re-install without having to find and download it again. (Just drag and drop).

4. _Newbie_

_Newbie_ Private E-2

Thank you very much for your input guys, really appreciate it.

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

welcome to MG's.

6. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Hello and Welcome :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds