Forum & Computer Novice

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by DoraLorraine, Nov 12, 2009.

1. DoraLorraine

DoraLorraine Private E-2

Hello,
    From Barstow, Ca. I registered today and am looking for info about some of the rules. These forums are a little daunting especially the rules regarding when you are elligable to do certain things. For instance, to send a private message to an Administrator you have to of posted 50 threads. I'm not sure if that was new threads or not. Where can I find out about these particular rules? Are we allowed to post more than once at this Welcome Center?
    Thank you for the help and consideration you give to your new and patrons.

2. silas

silas MajorGeek

I am not the law of this forum. I am not the person that runs this forum. I just really like this forum and the people that run it. Also welcome to Major Geeks :wave Very great clash of great people :grouphug . Also the rules.

1. You asked can you post more then once in the "welcome new here secton" ? Mostly that is for 1st time saying hellos to the forum. But many people do it even daily a lot of times.. And they will post questions in there, because they do not read the rules like 90 percent of people that come here. Also they would like it if your questions would go in the right section-software, hardware, malware. Also if its in the wrong section just post and someone will move it to another section if needed. For example.. Theres really great people in malware forum/fixing daily of people computer.. and many at a time.. and they do not have time and very rarely see them post out of the malware section... Sometimes they will move a malware post to software because its software related and not malware.

2. 50 post to be able to get PMs or give them? I think you have to make the post don't know. I don't see what is the big deal sometimes.. you can pretty much ask ANY question on the forums and someone should know out of all this great knowledge!

Also if you just got more questions just post them in this same thread... Don't make numerous threads about that have to do with the same thing all around.. You can post more then once in here if your keeping it to topic and asking for help... IMO :zzz Now that I have typed a big mess of known forming sentences and headach hopefully you can understand what I said..

3. DoraLorraine

DoraLorraine Private E-2

Thank You Silas. Your reply helps. I noticed my paragraph indents didn't take. I'll have to hit the {what was that} view button before I Post. It's going to take some time to get this right before I ask any questions in the other Forums. Also the BB Code was on in one place and off in another. Any ideas?

4. silas

silas MajorGeek

Its alright I think it takes a little time to get to anything anyone does. Also theres plenty to read here and learn.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

The private message 50 posts rule was implemented because spammers join up on popular forums and send private messages. By the time they spam 50 messages, we would have them deleted. A minor inconvienience to members, but worth it.

Our rules are PG-13. Were not fans of swearing or illegal activities like illegal software, etc and will delete these threads. We have members from 7-70 so we like everyone to feel welcome.

We do have some FAQs to help you:

How to post a new thread:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=31333

Member titles and whos who:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=154318

How to attach items to your post:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

The forum "Lounge" is a good place to also ask questions once you have introduced yourself here, but you can continue to ask questions here. The lounge is also a good place to join casual conversation before you tread into the techie forums as well :)

Welcome and good luck :)

6. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Welcome DoraLoraine,
    I'm sure you will do well. We all have a little stage fright:eek in an unfamiliar place. I'm still learning new things about this place even nowrolleyes. Have a look around and enjoy the place. Lots of great peeps here:grouphug. So as silas said ask away if you aren't sure of how some things go.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds